Retrenching 3 people tomorrow !!!!!

Treat them with respect, and engage an employment counsellor to meet with them immediately afterwards so they can discuss their options, unemployment process etc etc.

Also, if at all possible, ask them to finish straight away, and then have them back in for a farewell afternoon tea or something to acknowledge their work at a later date.
Its hard for everyone to have someone working and getting bitter and angry.
Pen

Explain why as much as possible to them - they are going to feel many emotions all at once. Hopefully you can get them to see it is a business decicision - not a reflection on them personally.

Cheers
Stella

Oh yeah - dont do what my ex's employer did about a month after ex was made redundant - hired someone else to do the job!

Also explain to remaining employees why - the more you communicate with them the less they can try to intuit for themselves - stops some of the more far out rumours that really kill morale

Thank you All for your advice.

I'm doing it hard tonight, it doesn't sit right with me but it is my job. If there was another way around, we would have found it.

Cheers

GG

It's never easy.

Even when I have to terminate someone who eminently deserves it, I hate doing it. It always upsets me.

And these are casuals, who have usually not been around too long.

Though I once found an ex employee's MySpace entry (I was googling for my store) which read "It was great working for Subway Bekconnen. Nobody cared how slack I was, until I got sacked".

Well, at least it made me feel better about the deed.

All the best with this. Feeling bad is natural I'm afraid and doesn't get much easier the more times you have to do it.

I have less problem if it's bad work performance or whatever. Retrenchment is much tougher and I've never had to do three at once!

You've had some good advice above (mostly) especially as regards talking to your remaining staff. Morale is important to try and maintain at such a time.

I feel for you - hope you get some sleep.

If these retrenchments are all that are going to happen I would let the remaining staff know that it is happened and finished and those that are remaining are secure (if this is the truth) so they don't get nervous and start looking for a tap on their shoulder (or another job).

Lots of support, especially professional, for those leaving. And don't let them go without a farewell. Treat them as if you would like them back on board if times turn around again.

Maybe tell them all together as it may appear more of a business decision (which it obviously is anyway).

Maybe not, just thinking out aloud.

Good luck with it, not an enviable thing to do.

Regards
Marty

What a hard thing to have to do just before Christmas. I feel for you. I hope it wasn't too awful.

I feel for the 3 people who lost their jobs the week before Xmas :( Surely it could have waited until after the New Year especially since they would maybe be on two weeks holiday between now and then anyway.

I feel for the 3 people who lost their jobs the week before Xmas :( Surely it could have waited until after the New Year especially since they would maybe be on two weeks holiday between now and then anyway.

We are in a retail outlet, coming up to a busy time over the holidays. So nobody really has holidays at this time.

Yes it could have waited until after xmas but that would have been an extra $6000 in wages.

It's my job to make sure the other 50 employees keep thier jobs, if that means 3 people don't have a job over xmas, so be it.

I do care but that is business. :rolleyes:

GG

Gordon at least you care about what you had to do. There are many big corporate companies for whom there are no names but only numbers. Be sure to give those people that you obviously care about really good references to help them find work in the future.

Back