reversal of ban on electric hot water systems

I believe it doesn't matter which state you buy the unit from. My plumber tells me his books are checked and he can be fined for installing a replacement hot water system where there is gas available. I think the suppliers books may be checked and followed up to see where that unit is installed, and if a plumber has installed a replacement where there is another fuel source available, the plumber gets into trouble. I'm not sure what happens to the home owner? (That is my understanding anyway...)

Obviously there are ways to get around any rule, but the rule itself is silly when a replacement hot water system will cost $1500 and a new system (gas, heat pump etc) will run to about $4K to $6K or so.

I'm all for saving energy and saving the environment, but how many people have a lazy $6K sitting around.

which product?

while we're on this subject, BAXIS for my granny flat requires us to get a gas instantaneous or 4 start energy rating system. We're trying to keep the existing electric hot water system from the outhouse.
Any suggest on electric hot water system that has 4 star energy rating or higher? Plumber will install but we gotta supply.

Thanks heaps!
Junie

Obviously there are ways to get around any rule, but the rule itself is silly when a replacement hot water system will cost $1500 and a new system (gas, heat pump etc) will run to about $4K to $6K or so.

I'm all for saving energy and saving the environment, but how many people have a lazy $6K sitting around.

Whoa! A gas HWS for $6k???? And I thought things were expensive in Perth when my last Bosch instant gas HWS cost me under $1k fully installed...
and gas storage options can be had cheaper still.

while we're on this subject, BAXIS for my granny flat requires us to get a gas instantaneous or 4 start energy rating system. We're trying to keep the existing electric hot water system from the outhouse.
Any suggest on electric hot water system that has 4 star energy rating or higher? Plumber will install but we gotta supply.

Thanks heaps!
Junie

Are you doing your own BASIX?

Whoa! A gas HWS for $6k???? And I thought things were expensive in Perth when my last Bosch instant gas HWS cost me under $1k fully installed...

Same here HE, and Wylie is just a stones throw over the border? I get my gas units for around $750.

These figures were ballpark from our plumber when we thought we needed to replace a HWS (which didn't end up needing replacement - thankfully). He was quoting worst case, if the gas line already to the house for gas cooker was not large enough to take gas hot water too, and needed replacing.

(He was also advising us over the phone from Perth, and couldn't remember what the pipework was like at the house in question.)

He did say that when he runs gas to a house, he makes the piping capable (large enough?) to take extra appliances, say if an electric HWS needs to be replaced with gas. But he sees places that need new copper installed to supply the extra appliance.

So, he was estimating worst case in our situation if we needed to run a new gas supply to the house. I think from memory the actual instantaneous appliance cost us about $1000 when we installed in our PPOR (obviously more now) but the installation and copper run could make it more expensive.

Last edited:
It isn't just the cost of the unit. What if you have to get all new fittings and plumbing to run it?

The other thing is you might be comparing tiny HWSs for a small unit with a family-sized 4 bedroom house.

When our HWS died a few years ago just before the law changed, we were quoted $4000 (after the rebate) to get solar and $900 installed for another electric. We wouldn't consider gas as we would then have to get a whole new stove which would require refitting the cabinetry in the kitchen etc.

Storage options - the original outlay can be much cheaper however the running costs soon outweigh the initial saving.

I just had quotes to replace my current electric storage with a heat pump that would be able to handle the 4-5 people living in my house.

$4.5K - $6K depending on brand. Whoa!

We're currently running our electric tank on continuous power (not tariff) so it can keep up the hot water for showers, but that's just so expensive to replace.

I just had quotes to replace my current electric storage with a heat pump that would be able to handle the 4-5 people living in my house.

$4.5K - $6K depending on brand. Whoa!

We're currently running our electric tank on continuous power (not tariff) so it can keep up the hot water for showers, but that's just so expensive to replace.

Matty

Just to let your know...

I haven't heard any good reports from acquaintances who have installed hear pumps.

We had one of these installed, I have had 3 warranty visits and a paid repair in the few years we have had it.

I think we have another problem now, I am seriously tempted to replace it with a duel element one now that they are available again.

Matty

Just to let your know...

I haven't heard any good reports from acquaintances who have installed hear pumps.

Back