Review - ProRentals vs Rental Express

G'Day Sarah,

We did speak on Monday and we did agree that i would come back to you in a couple of days after i checked with the PM & office manager and i emailed you this morning.

It is great news about your property purchase. It is exciting knowing you will have your own roof over your head.

It is not our fault if you misunderstood your responsibilties under the fixed term lease that you have and did not take this into consideration when budgeting for the purchase of your new property.

The owner has a mortgage as well, and a tenant that has signed a lease until the end of January 2010.

The property is being marketed to secure a new tenancy and tenants booked in already to inpsect the property. So hopefully a new tenant is found so that you be able to minimise the amout of rent that you will have to pay whilst paying a mortgage.

Regards

Response to Jason

Once again Jason you are ignoring my issue. The issue is not that I don't want to or believe I should pay the fees. The issue is that I was told an agreement would be made, I was not told the fees needed to be paid 3 weeks ago, I had very little communication in that time, I was told that finding a new tenant was not in your best interests and I was told I was a lier and making things up. I believe that there was a good chance that a tenant may have been found in the past 3 weeks. Now I will be forced to pay rent for longer due to the unprofessionalism of you and your staff. I tried to find a friendly resolution and I tried to do the right thing by Rental Express and the owners. I will be now contacting the relevent government bodies.

Sorry, didtherightthing,

I do understand your frustrations.

Did you break the lease or not? If you did, you have to understand that you're liable for paying it out.

It doesn't matter if it's in a high rentability area or not. The underlying thing is that you signed a lease for a certain amount of time & decided that due to your circumstances & your choices, you needed to be let out of it early.

Yes, it would be nice if the PM/agent did their best to find a new tenant to take it over, but really, what do they owe you? You state you paid your rent on time etc etc, but you initially signed a lease for a certain amount of time & then decided to opt out.

I really do sympathise, but unfortunately, I think you need to wear it.

Response

Hey mary and matt, I am perfectly happy to pay the rent until they find a new tenant and pay the break lease fees. I'm not disputing these. My problem is that LEGALLY the agent is obligated to try and find a new tenant and to explain my responsibilities to me. Instead the agent waited over two weeks and then told me "it wasn't in her best interests to find a new tenant as I had to continue to pay the rent until she did". I have now been told I'm a lier and making things up (if I hadn't been told this I would have walked away without arguments but calling me a lier gets me angry). Legally the property should have been advertised 2 weeks earlier, thus giving the chance of finding a new tenant sooner. Stragely enough my aim here is for an apology, for the staff who have done wrong (legally and socially) to learn they can't treat people the way they have and for the owners of the property to get a new tenant asap as even though I must continue to pay rent my lease is ending.

Once again I must stress I have accepted that I must pay the rent until a new tenant is found. The issues are the agents legal responsibilities not mine!

I understand didtherightthing,

If it's an apology you're after, that doesn't sound unreasonable. I wouldn't like the be called a liar either!

Was anything documented in email or was it all phone conversations?

Thanks

Thanks for the Support Mary and Matt

Yes almost everything was via email, however Rental Express is still calling me a lier. They are ignoring the issue of timing and the lack of information. I spoke to the RTA this morning who say that Rental Express has breached their "Obligation to Mitigate Loss" (nice to have a formal name for it) and that I am no longer required to pay anything. I contacted Jason about this and offered 2 weeks rent to make it go away. Even though the RTA said I didn't need to pay anything. (Since theres only 5 weeks left on the lease, I would have thought this would be accepted).

I feel sorry for the owners mainly in this situation as they are likely to suffer and they probably have no idea what their representation is like. I'm not required to pay the two weeks rent according to the RTA and offered it anyway to keep the peace.

I gave Jason another offer this morning. I said I wouldn't pursue this any further if his staff formally apologised for their attitude and unprofessionalism. This wasn't popular with him either.

Ive been with R/E in Brissy for almost 2 years now as a LL. Seems to be lots of staff change over, in fact i don't think the new guys even introduced himself. Also hes been a bit slack on replying to emails lately which is concerning as we are in the process of changing tenants.

Gosh i wish i could travel vast distances at supersonic speed so i could self manage :p

Since this thread has been brought back to life, I'll comment again about Pro Rentals.

They were the best, I was really happy with them, but the company's portfolio has sadly been split up and sold.

Now with the new 'default' PM, it's just a regular agent with sales/rentals in the one office and the vibe of efficiency that I got from Pro Rentals just isn't there.

Back