Revitalised Dandenong

The recently completed revitalisation effort has dramatically changed the outlook of Dandenong from a 'grey n gloomy' to more 'chic and modern' look. And it looks like more and more jobs are moving there (see links).

Do you think this effort by the council will promote demand in Dandenong and surrounds, and the area can cash in from the upcoming house price growth which Melbourne has started to see.

I have been following sales in Dandenong and what I can see is that there is strong demand for house with STCA and apartments but I am yet to see any significant gains in family-oriented houses e.g. typical 2-3 bed houses with yards in the residential surrounds like Dandenong North and Endeavour Hills.

We are starting to see an increase of Asian community which is positive sign. Probably it is driven by the newly erected apartments and the efforts by the authorities to curb crime e.g. full patrol of Dandenong Station.

Anyone else noticing similar stuff or has any helpful commentary on the upcoming trends of this area.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dande-thong??

You've heard the term: "you can't polish a turd"?

It's only gone in one direction I've ever seen....down.

Happy to be proven wrong.

(sorry my commentary isn't helpful)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dande-thong??

You've heard the term: "you can't polish a turd"?

Well you have just splattered a bucket of black grease on freshly painted walls of Dandenong :)

As the saying goes - Demographics change quickly but stereotypes don't.

Not many replies tell me that investors here stay away from this place and continue to do so.

cheers

The recently completed revitalisation effort has dramatically changed the outlook of Dandenong from a 'grey n gloomy' to more 'chic and modern' look. And it looks like more and more jobs are moving there (see links).

Do you think this effort by the council will promote demand in Dandenong and surrounds, and the area can cash in from the upcoming house price growth which Melbourne has started to see.

I have been following sales in Dandenong and what I can see is that there is strong demand for house with STCA and apartments but I am yet to see any significant gains in family-oriented houses e.g. typical 2-3 bed houses with yards in the residential surrounds like Dandenong North and Endeavour Hills.

We are starting to see an increase of Asian community which is positive sign. Probably it is driven by the newly erected apartments and the efforts by the authorities to curb crime e.g. full patrol of Dandenong Station.

Anyone else noticing similar stuff or has any helpful commentary on the upcoming trends of this area.

do not know much about growing trends..except that the migrants who are living there probably dont have any choice...either its mill park,dandenong,sunshine etc..
the suburb suffers from bad image and stigma...news of stabbing,robbery,hoons etc does not help either...

most of the migrants i know - started their life in dandenong and worked their butts off to save and move away from dandy to berwick or narre warren...etc

Last edited:
Negatives outweigh c g in the long term espesh in a good pocket.Rather park my hard earned here than karingal.

Last edited:
I agre the revitalisation is looking good, but go beyond high street and its still messy and rough! Still some time before re gentrification I think!

Well you have just splattered a bucket of black grease on freshly painted walls of Dandenong :)

As the saying goes - Demographics change quickly but stereotypes don't.

Not many replies tell me that investors here stay away from this place and continue to do so.

cheers
My wife and I go the Dandenong market every few weeks.

The place (Dandenong) is still a dive, and getting worse in my opinion.

The market has improved though.

The main demographic gives people the perception (rightly or wrongly) that they will get tenants from hell in their IP's.

yes iagree dandenong is a dive, i go there about every6 months and hate it, got a couple of friends who live near there and I go there and have a look,'

as for getting better/worse, It hasnt changed in my opinion

but isnt that what gentirfication is all about??? shabby areas where the council invests into the area and over a period of time,slowly the area improves??

Dandenong / Springvale prices rising

Just an update on the topic. From this latest report, it seems prices in Greater Dandenong suburbs have risen sharply in the past one year.

12-16% price growth in suburbs like Keysborough, Springvale and Noble Park North is huge unless I am missing something.

Contrary to what most blokes in this thread thought, Dandenong area is quite popular with buyers on a budget who say 'no' to extortionate BaySide and Inner City prices.

Just an update on the topic. From this latest report, it seems prices in Greater Dandenong suburbs have risen sharply in the past one year.

12-16% price growth in suburbs like Keysborough, Springvale and Noble Park North is huge unless I am missing something.

Contrary to what most blokes in this thread thought, Dandenong area is quite popular with buyers on a budget who say 'no' to extortionate BaySide and Inner City prices.

I thought you were talking about Dandenong not suburbs around it?

These suburbs have probably benefitted from springvales popularity , not dandenong
Also keys borough is a decent alternative for those prices out of dingley

I wouldn't say people are choosing to live there over the bayside though, it's just a matter of what they can afford

I agree re:springy's popularity^Also road under railway line is a +(bottleneck was redic)bunnings being built springy north...If you can get in low @ springy for ip,better prospects.

That said though i wouldn't dismiss dandy or noble as an ip in particular pockets.

Noble would be my 1st preference from what i see.

Cheers Spades.

would avoid dandenong like the plague....

rough area, low income and high level of crime. u should see the lines in their centrelink - it like's you're in a different country all together.

and doveton next door being the foreclosure capital of victoria.

You can make money in Dandenong

If you go into any suburbs early you can make money. I got in about 8 years ago into Dandenong bought 4 weatherboard units and made at least $500K on valuation today.
I got into Doveton and Hallam about the same time sold out in 2010, made more than $500K too.
Anyway even a monkey would have made money in those days.

Dandenong still has the potential or though it was badly affected by the development of Narre Warren 10 yrs ago. Dandenong likely to make a come back in the next 10 yrs.;)

Hi hombie.

> Well what can I say about Dandenong. It's Ugly, its Dirty, and its Depressing. Most Australians living there wont even shop in the CBD or Plaza.

> I have just sold my House in Dandenong after living in " hope " for 20 years. And I think the place is getting worse. I'm glad i'm getting out.

> And the few Australians living in Dandenong are selling and getting out.

> Former Victorian Premier Ted Baillieu said that all the money spent on Dandenong was a ' complete waste "

> Our family owns a few small Factories/Workshops in the Industrial area in Dandenong South, and collecting rent is simply a Nightmare. We're now selling the lot of them.

> Dandenong has a large Unemployed Immigrant population with large families , and with very low Household Incomes, so they have very little money to spend. Just have a look at Kmart and Target in the Plaza, I mean its just Cheap Garbage on the shelves. And Myers is " empty ", with more staff than Customers.

> Yes, there are some Town Houses going up on large corner blocks. But they are way over priced and often sold to uninformed buyers. And apparently Dandenong Council is desperate for collecting Rates and will subdivide anything.

Last edited:
Hi hombie.

> Well what can I say about Dandenong. It's Ugly, its Dirty, and its Depressing. Most Australians living there wont even shop in the CBD or Plaza.

> I have just sold my House in Dandenong after living in " hope " for 20 years. And I think the place is getting worse. I'm glad i'm getting out.

> Former Victorian Premier Ted Baillieu said that all the money spent on Dandenong was a ' complete waste "

> Our family owns a few small Factories/Workshops in the Industrial area in Dandenong South, and collecting rent is simply a Nightmare. We're now selling the lot of them.

> Dandenong has a large Unemployed Immigrant population with large families , and with very low Household Incomes, so they have very little money to spend. Just have a look at Kmart and Target in the Plaza, I mean its just Cheap Garbage on the shelves. And Myers is " empty ", with more staff than Customers.

> Yes, there are some Town Houses going up on large corner blocks. But they are way over priced and often sold to uninformed buyers. And apparently Dandenong Council is desperate for collecting Rates and will subdivide anything.

Thanks Joey for the relevant input. I am also looking in the area and your input is useful.

Hi hombie.

Myer left the plaza thats how well it was going. For those thinking about investing in Dandenong all i can say is don't

Hi hombie.

..........Spot On!

Back