Rewiring a strata unit

My rental property (1 bedroom unit) needs rewiring and I've had three quotes all around the $3000 mark. The Strata manager has indicated that the Owners Corporation is responsible for the cost of wiring from the meter box (in a switch room on common property) to the start of the unit itself. This represents about $1000 of the total cost, which is a big chunk of the OC budget, so there has been a long delay in getting approval.

Currently, there is one lighting circuit and two power circuits. On the power circuit there are no more than 7 single power points, although the tenant has a power board in the lounge room running 2 or 3 appliances. The cooker is gas, and there is no hot water service (it's communal).

I'm thinking maybe I can bring the cost down (for me and the Owners Corporation) by having just the one power circuit. Anyone know if that is bad practice?

expected rating of power circut, huge, tenants love to plug things in
2400w fan heater
another one
aircon- now its too hot
entertainment system
900foot tv :)

more amps, breaker tripped
switched back on, breaker tripped
tenant tapes breaker in place
property burns

plan for growth in demand, make a third circuit, while you already have the wall open

Thanks AlmostBob. I take your point that the tenant (or a future tenant with more gear) could overload the circuit with multiple appliances.

I will bite the bullet and budget accordingly.

Who does that? No one.

And its unlikely they will have the wall open if its a unit. They will most likely be doing a double pull through the cavity.

expected rating of power circut, huge, tenants love to plug things in
2400w fan heater
another one
aircon- now its too hot
entertainment system
900foot tv :)

more amps, breaker tripped
tenant tapes breaker in place
property burns

plan for growth in demand, make a third circuit, while you already have the wall open

You can wire it on one 20 amp circuit. The point is if he uses power boards or not he'll still have the same amount of junk to plug in, and therefore the same amount of load on the breaker(s). Really will make little difference.

Best thing to do is get a couple of quotes an talk to the sparkie about how it can be rewired. Either way you wont save much money whether its 1 circuit or 2.

There are 7 single power points on 2 circuits.

You will be better served having 2 power circuits as not all the appliances will go off if there is a fault. It allows some extra headroom for changes to appliances but will ultimately be governed by the breakers the main switch board.

Back