Right time, right place ? Deception Bay, QLD

I'm writing from Burpengary and yes we have been flooded out a lot recently, however generally speaking housing isn't affected. The worst that has happened to me is I wouldn't have been able to leave work for a few hours as the roads were flooded.

Also there aren't too many more beaches/bays as Bribie island and surrounding areas are largely national parks, estuaries and river systems.

I never considered D'bay as an investment area. I guess it could work. There are actually some very nice and high quality housing estates going in around the area, especially Rothwell and I have always wondered what impact North Lakes will have to the surrounding 'bogan areas'

Thanks for info - i am looking into deception bay - cant believe how many properties on the market. WIll have to go for a drive up that way. Looking at properties in high $200s and low $300s with decent rental income.

I would probably stay in the mid-200's as a maximum. But then, I am ultra strict on the yield I need on my next purchase. So not much meets the grade. Unless the property has some real development potential in the future in terms of subdivision, duplex or whatever else you can sniff out. That's trading yield now for the hope of CG sooner or perhaps manufacturing the CG.

Stay away from the housing estates. Prices well above median/average. If you are investing with that kind of money, I would look at other areas. Again, unless it is an exceptional bargain. And they do happen, of course.

IMO Land is surprisingly expensive in the area. Also somewhat scarce unless you head out towards the highway along D'Bay Road to the north. Not a great spot IMO, but what do I know, right?

I'm writing from Burpengary and yes we have been flooded out a lot recently, however generally speaking housing isn't affected. The worst that has happened to me is I wouldn't have been able to leave work for a few hours as the roads were flooded.

Also there aren't too many more beaches/bays as Bribie island and surrounding areas are largely national parks, estuaries and river systems.

I never considered D'bay as an investment area. I guess it could work. There are actually some very nice and high quality housing estates going in around the area, especially Rothwell and I have always wondered what impact North Lakes will have to the surrounding 'bogan areas'

D'Bay road up near the highway to the north can get closed during the really heavy rains. This doesn't significantly affect traffic as there are other routes that can be taken. I guess property up that way could very well be affected. there are some rural blocks for sale up that way if you want lots of land you can't do much with except raise horses, mow lawns and grow stuff. And plenty people do like to do that.

The ripple effect from North Lakes and Rothwell is one of the contributing reasons I bought here. Also, we both dislike housing estates. Both as investments and to live in. Especially as investments. Mainly due to the fact that they are terribly overpriced due to every man and his dog adding margin onto the product before it gets to you.

Great input, I think I will consider D'bay as my next IP(after Gladstone :))

I guess there would be some rural properties affected by the flooding around D'bay road and Uhlmann road...

Great input, I think I will consider D'bay as my next IP(after Gladstone :))

I guess there would be some rural properties affected by the flooding around D'bay road and Uhlmann road...

I like Gladstone, but the buy in price is now out of my range right now. Unless you think units are a good prospect?? (I don't really know) I have been scoping the Mackay area as an alternative with huge population and economic prospects.

D'Bay - Reckon you are right. There would be some flooding impact on those rural spots. Not my gig, but again, plenty do like it.

High and dry where I am. The huge rains during the floods didn't affect us at all. Except the lawn got pretty soggy and I had to put the aircon to dry the air out inside the house a few times. So very glad we don't have the flood problems in some of the southern suburbs. Really feel for those folks,

Db

I feel if to db left n right house prices are almost double and red cliff Cleveland Brisbane are all expensive how can db loose? Esplanade propert $350k do close to town???

going to DB to have a drive around.. just to get a feel of the place..
Great idea!

D Bay is one of those areas then tends to get a strong reaction from people one way or the other, no better way to make up your own mind than to have a drive around yourself and compare the streets and area. Talk to the librarians/shop keepers and people out watering their roses, all part of the due diligence for an area.

Have a look both sides of D Bay road at the newer and older parts of the suburb, also time permitting contrast this area with Rothwell/Kippa-Ring and a drive around the Peninsula eastwards and Mango Hill/Northlakes and the explosion of housing builds Westwards. Keep in mind also the train line path due to arrive soon.

rents

how do you think rentals will go there?

Also is closer to beach better?

Better areas then others

Old thread, but I figured I would add my perspective.

I live in D'Bay. Contrarian high-income earner from Sydney eastern suburbs with a missus and (now) 3 kids. When I first checked this place out, I jsut sensed a long and positive future.

Bought a 1200m2 block of land and built a brand spanking new house on it when Uncle Kev was giving out maximum $21k first home owner grants. House is probably worth close to double the median for the area, so no real CG for me just yet. But then, I always said it was a 20 year play. 2 years in and I am still utterly convinced I am right.

300m from the water front in a cul-de-sac that sees less than 6 cars come and go each day.

I honestly moved here thinking we would "rough it" in the "sticks" for a few years until it came good. Turns out, I was very wrong. It is a lovely place with easy access to shops, schools and highway north and south. 40 mins to sunshine coast beaches and 45 minutes to Brisbane CBD.

Sure, the traffic can be heavy at rush hour, so I don't travel at rush hour. IT can be as bad as some areas of Sydney, but definately not worse.

Riff Raff? Yes, there is an element of it, but we have been treated with nothing but neighbourly respect since arriving. There are apparently some really crappy areas, but I honestly don't know where they are.

I get the gym and pool in the morning almost to myself. I get walks down by the bay early. Lots of folks out walking the dog and such. All very friendly.

Would definately recommend it to other families.

I purchased here for the future. And the future is bright when you joint he dots together;
Moreton Bay is one of the largest and fastest growing LGA's in the country.
Neighbours 1 of the other fastest and largest, Brisbane.
Affordable for the average masses
"Squished" between the ever expanding North Lakes and Caboolture regions.
Train line through nearby Rothwell promised for 150 years is actually making progress. Has been signed off by all three levels of government and the budget allocated. Still doesn't make it a sure thing, but that's the closest it gets in politics. (I think it is a major marginal electorate, this usually bodes well for funding)
Cheap/available industrial/commercial land in D'Bay, North Lakes, Kallangur and Caboolture
Masters opened up in Caboolture. Apparently another either open or opening in North Lakes.
Right on the water. Now the bay isn't sexy like a beach, but it is still a nice piece of lifestyle.
Close to Bribie and Sunshine Coast for real beach activity. 40 mins to the beach at Bribie and Caloundra.
Expansion of local Retirement/Lifestyle village. I walk past every day and it seems to be say a 30-40% uplift in the number of villas.
New townhouse complex nearby just about complete.

Market has suffered over the past 12-24 months. I haven't seen a drop in my property value as per the banks reckoning. Which is odd really, because we are definately towards the upper end of the price range. If I were to sell now I would lose Kev's $21k grant for sure. But I ain't selling.

There seems to be opportunities for cheap buys right now followed by a quick renovation with a decent uplift in yield. I would do it, but I know nothing about reno's and my 3 kids / job keep me busy enough as it is. If anyone is interested in a JV, I am definately listening.

You can buy a house right now, across the road from the water for asking price $410k. So probably sub-400k if you can negotiate.

I am tempted to buy here again. But my strategy tells me to spread my eggs. But goddamn if I can't see some value out there right now. There is a mountain of property on the market and alot of uneducated sellers. Unfortunately, they will be taken advantage of and some good ivnestors will get great bargains.

Anyways, that's my rant on an old post. Hope it helps.

been looking at a new property at deception bay for a decent price with average yield
have noticed theres a few gated setups all together is this a good or bad thing?

also does/has anyone been there and seen the beach? i used google maps and the pic looks terrible. after looking at street view it looked better but wondering what your thoughts are on it... its defiantly not an awesome beach

also noticed a fair few vacancies... on realestate.com.au

im looking to hold long term. would love to retire in 15 years but doubtful unless i can start getting some houses and CG
being so far way from where i live i though new would/should be better maintenance wise and less hassles trying to deal with it.?

Dbay beach is more of a mud flat which at low tide isnt a very pretty sight to see :)

The closest real 'beaches' are slightly south at redcliffe.

I was suprised. I live sth gold coast and drove there and it was really not as bad as i though it would be. had big super markets, all the franchises like maccas, kfc, etc, walking paths - not bad. i bought there.

I was suprised. I live sth gold coast and drove there and it was really not as bad as i though it would be. had big super markets, all the franchises like maccas, kfc, etc, walking paths - not bad. i bought there.
Well this depends on your initial perceptions, it's better than a lot of people give it credit for I think. Congrats on the purchase by the way.

I will be looking North of Brisbane when I eventually get around to buying interstate. I think it looks like a good area.

Is there any beaches closer than 40 mins away from D'Bay?

And, I saw on the news last week that Burpengary (my understanding is that it is the next suburb north) has been flooded 6 times in the past two years. Has this affected Deception Bay?

Hi Folks, i am a new investor and also looking at buying in Deception Bay. It was interesting to read the above threads but due to conflicting posts has made my job harder to make a decision. Can anyone living locally confirm if the region (specially Higgs St) is affected by flood damage? Also the growth rate over the last year looks negative. Look forward to any specific advise as it will really help me narrow down my options. thanks in advance.

One less after I got out few months back. I can't speak for the suburb's future but I'm glad I got out, be it about 3 years after I wanted to.

Held my house for 9 years and was the most trouble of any property I have owned. Bad run of tenants, complacent, expensive, lazy PM and nothing special about the area other than cheap. Exacerbated by not being a local.

Got greedy at the peak of the market and didn't sell then. Then took forever to get the next offer, which fell thought. Still a lot on market as mentioned, perhaps there is a bargain to be found. It will be come good, again.

Hi Folks, i am a new investor and also looking at buying in Deception Bay. It was interesting to read the above threads but due to conflicting posts has made my job harder to make a decision. Can anyone living locally confirm if the region (specially Higgs St) is affected by flood damage? Also the growth rate over the last year looks negative. Look forward to any specific advise as it will really help me narrow down my options. thanks in advance.
Wouldn't be a brand new property by any chance?

One less after I got out few months back. I can't speak for the suburb's future but I'm glad I got out, be it about 3 years after I wanted to.

Held my house for 9 years and was the most trouble of any property I have owned. Bad run of tenants, complacent, expensive, lazy PM and nothing special about the area other than cheap. Exacerbated by not being a local.

Got greedy at the peak of the market and didn't sell then. Then took forever to get the next offer, which fell thought. Still a lot on market as mentioned, perhaps there is a bargain to be found. It will be come good, again.

3 worst things about D Bay:
  1. Property managers doing slack job ....sorry, wrong choice of word - slack infers some effort.
  2. Property managers renting to the remaining riff raff instead of depriving them of accommodation in the area.
  3. Property managers with the same opinion of the area as 15 years ago, not seeing the change.

Oh, did I mention property managers :p

Twodogs, I bet your PM was either B@D or RW, the two biggest in the area and worst for putting bad tennats in. Property managers are not much better over the entire peninsular. It only takes 1 or 2 bad tenants in a street to affect the whole street, and this ebbs and flows with tenants. I offered to write an article for the local paper highlighting the need for better PM's in the area with a fresh attitude to the changing area (and to give the agents a wake up call)....did not surprise me that I did not get a reply as it would conflict with their advertising income. I have been lucky, nothing worse than overgrown gardens and some minor accidental damage, but I do present my house better than some others in the area so I do get some better applicants.

Seriously, the area is not too bad, the waterfront is so peaceful and relaxing compared to Redcliffe, I will often take my dinner down there to eat when up there. Never felt the slightest bit of fear for my safety, and have far less fear of theft than I do at home in Sydney. There is more neighbourly feel to the area than where I live in Sydney, it surprises me how willing neighbours are to help each other, lend things, most people I pass when out for a walk taking their dog for a walk or watering the garden say hello. I could live there easily. Half the rough nuts are not as rough as they look, I had a couple of neighbours who looked rough, a bit untidy, but were great neighbours ...better than a #&*#@# o/o I had living next to me in Sydney for 7 years ...a very long 7 years. There is a quite a bit of renovation and rebuilds going on, although the narrow streets will always be challenged compared to the wider streets surrounding them.

The downtown older area near the water must have the best potential, there are much newer areas further back from the water (beyond Park Rd, Moreton Downs etc) but I don't understand why people would bother living in DBay if not near the water - what is the advantage. North Lakes is a bit different, a lot of new housing ....and a big difference in $$$ compared to over the fence/narrow green corridor separating it from Moreton Downs. This has to rub off, spill over into the much cheaper area and nearer the water with better breazes,

In hind sight I would have been better selling at the top of the market in 2009?, would have made a semi reasonable buck on my buy in early 2007 and renovation, probably would have got more than I expected based on a sale a few months ago which sold back then for more than I thought mine was worth and not as good.

For an area where you can buy for mid $200's ATM and within 500m of the waterfront and with a train coming in a few years only 5-10 min drive to station so that you don't have to drive into Brisbane ........... I've held on this long I may as well wait it out. CG prior to the SEQ fall had been very good over previous 15 years, averaging 15%.

Last edited:
Back