Right time to start investing?

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone,

I'm currently paying off the mortgage on my first home. I know it's vital to pay off your first home as fast as you can since it's a "bad" non-tax-deductible debt.

last weekend I read an article in the sydney weekend paper written by Noel Whittaker. In the article he advised one family, who were paying off their mortgage, that they should pay it off at the rate of $12 for every $1000 owed. He said if they had spare savings above this amount, then this should go to investments elsewhere. It was stated in the article that to pay the mortgage back at a rate higher than this was a waste of precious resources.

Can anyone tell me how Mr Whittaker might have arrived at this value of $12 for every $1000 owed on the mortgage? I'm stumped.

Anon

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Generally people get better responses when they don't use Annon as their posting name.

I have not heard of the magic $12 figure.

Maybe others might have........?

Simon

Reply: 1.1

If members want to post as anon, so what ?

What difference does it make any how ?
Also be aware that maybe 50% of posters on this forum are already using special email accounts to guard their real privacy any how.

And those that dont, are only after some short lived fame & fortune !
Wake up a smell the roses.

Regards
Mr anon.

Reply: 1.1.1

Not sure about the number. I saw it too.
Noel Whittaker is always keen to "pay off
the loan in ten years" so maybe he has
determined that in the current interest rate
environment, this is the magic number.
Read his advice and see how many
times he suggests higher repayments to
"pay off the home in 10 years".

Donna L

Reply: 1.1.1.1

G'day Mr. Anon,

You said:-
"If members want to post as anon, so what ?"

The major problem we face in a forum like this is when we get an "Anon" posting, followed by 2 or 3 other "Anon's" replying (it HAS happened). Of course, it becomes VERY difficult to determine just who is WHO.

Call yourself Artichoke, or Gismo - at least you then differentiate yourself when someone attempts to a. reply to you, and b. determine just who is asking a question.

By all means, feel free to retain your anonymity - but (to help the rest of us) do try to make that anonymity unique.

Regards,

Les

- "Eschew Obfuscation" - ;^)

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

Thanks for the advice Donna. I actually have a lot of respect for Noel Whittaker, so I'll just keep reading his advice (and his books) and see if I can figure out his $12 advice.

Chill about the anonymous issue guys. Everyone to their own opinions. Being patronising or condescending doesn't help anyone.

Cheers

Anon1

Reply: 1.1.1.1.2

Thanks for the advice Donna. I actually have a lot of respect for Noel Whittaker, so I'll just keep reading his advice (and his books) and see if I can figure out his $12 advice.

Chill about the anonymous issue guys. Everyone to their own opinions. Being patronising or condescending doesn't help anyone.

Cheers

Anon1

Reply: 2

!

Reply: 2.1

Hey Anon! Tell me how putting my name up here can fast track me to fame and fortune? I'm listening........
Cheers, Jacque :)

Reply: 1.1.2

If members want to post as anon, so what ?

What difference does it make any how ? Also be aware that maybe 50% of posters on this forum are already using special email accounts to guard their real privacy any how.

*** I'm not sure if other people share this feeling, or whether I'm alone. However having the high number of people posting under the alias "anonymous" makes about as much sense to me as having 100 people post under the alias "fred".

Of course having 100 'freds' on this board would get a tad confusing - but how does this differ from 'anonymous'?

Sure, feel free to keep your personal details to yourself - heck I do - but it just makes things a lot easier to follow if we can distinguish between posters. It's not really that hard to create a unique alias to use on this forum.

Just my opinion anyway.

And those that dont, are only after some short lived fame & fortune !
Wake up a smell the roses.

*** Um, thanks.

Cheers
Steve .. aka Deve :)

Regards
Mr anon.

Reply: 2.1.1

To whatever your name is.
It's not wise to ask for advice and then post your own condescending posts to those who feel that posting as anonymous is annoying. If you want co-operation, then maybe you should be a little more polite.

Mark
'no hat, some cattle'

Reply: 2.1.2

To whatever your name is.
It's not wise to ask for advice and then post your own condescending posts to those who feel that posting as anonymous is annoying. If you want co-operation, then maybe you should be a little more polite.

Mark
'no hat, some cattle'

Back