ripped off for roadworthy

Took my car for a roadworthy certificate - absolutely nothing wrong with car and just been through a rw in another state. Guy rings up and says windowscreen need replacing, headlights realigning and power steering fluid flushed. This is all btish as the windscreen had the minuteist chip 1inch from the side, not obscuring view at all and no scratches, never been in a accident and headlight perfect on freeway previous night, and brother says he has never heard of power steering being flushed in 40 years as mechanic. Have steam pouring out of my ears as this is $500 worth of btish

Took my car for a roadworthy certificate
I did similar recently for a vehicle bought interstate.

Booked it in to the blue slip local guy. Happened to mention it to my regular mechanic (who doesn't do blue slips).... his advice was Never go to him - he's a stickler for dotting the I's & crossing the Ts'. He recommended an alternative who was far less stringent :).

When chatting to the first guy, he did mention that the rules about windscreens were a little stupid.... a minute chip on the drivers side meant a fail... but a completely shattered passenger side was acceptable :eek:. And his job was to enforce that.

Apparently, once you start the blue slip procedure with one place, you must continue with them... you can't go & find a more accommodating mechanic elsewhere :(.

Look at the bright side, getting your kids passports renewed is 10 times more frustrating.
This whole rwc thingy is stupid (not the intent, but the execution), but what can you expect from a govt department ! Try to use a certifier who doesn't do repairs as well, because if he does both then it is to his bank account's benefit to pick/manufacture as many faults as possible. Almost got ripped off $1000 by a mechanic, he said there was oil leak, got the rwc from another certifier not one cent repair was needed. I can almost feel sorry for the used car dealers who have to put up with this everyday !

Last edited:
Took my car for a roadworthy certificate - absolutely nothing wrong with car and just been through a rw in another state. Guy rings up and says windowscreen need replacing, headlights realigning and power steering fluid flushed. This is all btish as the windscreen had the minuteist chip 1inch from the side, not obscuring view at all and no scratches, never been in a accident and headlight perfect on freeway previous night, and brother says he has never heard of power steering being flushed in 40 years as mechanic. Have steam pouring out of my ears as this is $500 worth of btish

We strike this all the time at my workshop.

We don't do rw's, but we refer people who come to us to the place here in Dromana that does. There is another centre in Rosebud 10 ins drive away.

We know that the Dromana guy is really tough on windscreens, while the guy in Rosebud will often let them through with a pass.

Go figure.

I haven't heard of a power steering flush as being an rw issue, so it may pay to go to another centre for a "second opinion".

if you know the right people you can get a RWC on a car that doesn't even drive

if you know the wrong people you can get a RWC on a car that doesn't even exist :p

But as stated a few times get a second opinion, my mechanic doesn't do RWC but outsources them to a guy who is fair especially if you are transferring the car to your name rather than selling it on. I have found it always helps to specify you are RWC the car for yourself and not selling.

Just thank your lucky stars that you don't live in New Zealand. Warrant of Fitness (roadworthy) has to be done every 6 months on a car over 6 years of age.

They fail you on every little piece of rust and imperfection.:mad:

Whenever you get a roadworthy done the windscreen is almost a certainty. With a crack I would say it is definately unroadworthy under the regulations.

Just thank your lucky stars that you don't live in New Zealand. Warrant of Fitness (roadworthy) has to be done every 6 months on a car over 6 years of age.

They fail you on every little piece of rust and imperfection.:mad:

NSW is every year or two, depending on the age of the car

RWC and mechanicrecommendation for West brisabne

Interesting thread.
I need 2 reliable/trustworthy r mechanics for the Indooroopilly area.I am not content with nissan dealer for my skyline.
The one I used to have was somewhat rude and abrasive but he was a perfectionist and charged fairly. He retired.

I had a similar experience with replacing a windscreen which had minor imperfections on the far left lower passenger side and a few imaginary faults.

hahaha WA has none of this cr@pola.

just pay your rego and keep on driving.

Yep in Vic you only get it to sell , or buy depending on the deal you hashed out.
But I lived in NSW for awhile & now I know it's not the peoples fault but crikey , full rwc for every rego , it killed us . In Vic we run two cars for 1/2 the price of running one in NSW .
Sorry to any NSW's , I know you don't get any say in it and you probably have your regular guys that are well understanding but I was only there a few yrs and so never got to that point.

Cheers

Last edited:
if you know the wrong people you can get a RWC on a car that doesn't even exist :p

But as stated a few times get a second opinion, my mechanic doesn't do RWC but outsources them to a guy who is fair especially if you are transferring the car to your name rather than selling it on. I have found it always helps to specify you are RWC the car for yourself and not selling.

Back in the Eighties when I was a young Digger I bought a LJ Torana for $500. Top car, 6 cyl 4 speed and sunroof :)

Took it for the Roadworthy - sorry the guy said. But the chassis is so corroded that this car will never be roadworthy.

Went back to work and told the fellas. Was told to put a carton of beer in the boot and go to the local servo. Fella had the roadworthy already written out with several defects like bald tire, repair horn which had already been recitifed.

I never did see the carton of beer again.

Those were the days :)

hasn't changed much ;)

by the way, there is a huge difference between getting roadworthy on a car you are selling, and getting a roadworthy on a car you are going to be driving yourself

One wonders what would have happened if you were in an accident with the rusted chassis and bald tyres. I'm pleased you were not and didn't take out innocent people with your death trap on wheels. Not so sure you should be bragging about that sort of behaviour.

One wonders what would have happened if you were in an accident with the rusted chassis and bald tyres. I'm pleased you were not and didn't take out innocent people with your death trap on wheels. Not so sure you should be bragging about that sort of behaviour.

Bragging?

I was 18.

Wowser :)

And the annoying Police keep defecting windscreens for little chips and cracks aswell...who cares 30% of the cars structural integrity relies on the windscreen being in perfect condition :confused:

We have repaired many chips at our windshield shop with "novus technololgy".
It is paid here by our car insruance, because replacing a windshield is so expensive.

Have you thought about that, instead of replacing?

Back