Ripped off with food

p.s. goldberg's, darby st, cooks hill - great feed, good prices and dynamic environment.

Only been to Goldbergs once, years ago, I think only for a coffee. I used to frequent Three Monkeys alot, at least once a week. But that was BC (before child). Hmmmm youve got my taste buds going now........Hmm I think Darby St shall be seeing me in the next week or so. May even try Goldbergs for a proper meal on your recommendation! :)

Traveling through the US when the exchange rate was $0.55

Everthing seemed like a rip off.

you should have tried england when the exchange rate was 30p to the $1! lost quite a bit of weight on that trip as i couldn't stop mentally calculating the exchange rate whenever i "didn't" purchase anything.

just as well we stayed at a b&b, so ate up huge in the morning and smuggled a bit of fruit out for lunch.

Best value meal I ever had was in '97 in London.
I think it was called something like Copper Pot or Copper Kettle.

Probably not the same place but last year in London we couldn't get enough of "The Stock Pot". Around 15AUD for everything from entree to dessert and we were stuffed. Really great home-style meals.

Biggest rip recently was ordering something with Ox Tail at ChaChaChar's... I didn't really think about it when I ordered it because it was the same price as every other mains ($30 or so), but then when it came out it was the size of a prawn. Okay so now I know for next time.

$15..for a toastie???????? What the...............:eek:

If you read Natmarie's post the toasting was extra :D

Those roadhouses up north are amazing. Mr Minx and I paid $48 for a cooked brekky (bacon, 1 egg, toast and tea) - and that was about 7 years ago!

These days we pack sandwiches. :rolleyes:

Nanutarra roadhouse. Ham cheese and tomato sandwich on regular sliced white bread (the sort you get in those plastic triangle containers). $15. Toasting extra.

Needless to say we didn't eat there and continued on to Exmouth with rumbly tummies.

Haha, I think EVERY West Aussie, who has travelled up North knows the Nanutarra roadhouse! And only ever stops there once! Obviously there is enough new traffic to keep up those sort of prices, or people just dont care (or are really starving :)) The fuel is exorbitant too...

I was once at a friends wedding on a cattle station in the Pilbara, and the bloke who owned (at the time)the Nanutarra roadhouse was there - overheard him saying that people are willing to pay an massive mark-up price for food and fuel there, and as long as they keep paying, he'll keep charging! And why not, I suppose....

Nadia

That's exactly right, although I have been to a few other roadhouses like Auskii, Cappi and Kumarina where you can get very good steak burger for the same price including a serve of chips.

He knows people have to fuel up there unless they are driving Landcruisers with long range fuel tanks and knows that most will get something to eat as well.

nah..oz is still way cheaper than Europe. 1 large pizza will set you back $20 to $30 in UK and that's for pick up.

Once a mth we get pizza 2 for $10 feeds 3 of us and still leftovers.

I think there are loads of good eats but tbh, I rarely see caucasians there..maybe they don't know about it. I need loads of diff flavours to satisfy my tatse buds. Asian food usually has all the flavours...because you don't just eat one main but share several. I prefer that so much more to ordering one main course each.

$9 for a sandwich is pretty excessive..can make it yourself...they just make it sound nice. It's not even tasty. The Seafood salad roll from subway is only $6 and way more tastier.

For $9 you can get Ipoh Hor Fun (my fav) from Yahoo enough to feed 2..yummy so tasty.

Ian - there's a very popular korean restaurant that has recently opened near our place. It's located in Pinelands shopping centre, sunnybank hills. Korean bbq...very popular..esp with koreans. So cheap and yummy. My fav is Samgyeopsal (pork belly korean bbq)

We are going to US next mth...I have already got a list of restaurants to try out from friends recommendations.

Nanutarra roadhouse. Ham cheese and tomato sandwich on regular sliced white bread (the sort you get in those plastic triangle containers). $15. Toasting extra.
That has to take the cake! Crikey!

I did buy a 300mL bottle of soft drink at the baseball in the USA from one of the dudes walking around with a tray around his neck - US$6!

was watching "secret millionaire" last night and the guy was shocked to learn that the pene dish he had been paying $15 for at work, cost around 50c to make (he made 4 serves for $2).

yep!

obviously he was a multi millionaire and didn't have to worry about a $14.50 markup, but a little forethought can save a lot of cash for those starting on the investing trail.

Ah, Nanutarra, home of the $6.50 frozen Mrs Mac meat pie, lovely place, when you are 300k into the desert you can please yourself I suppose.

tracey - that's cheap! we paid over $10 for a glass of coke with loads of ice at a nightclub in Florence each!! omg the wine and beer was cheaper!

14 yrs ago a round of four rum and coke's in new caledonia cost us $80 ... didn't go back for a 2nd

Last edited:
thanks for the heads up!!!

we are probably not going as far as Nanutarra, but we are going from GJ to Mt Augustus to GJ to Lyndon to Exmouth so thankfully we miss it.

Since I moved out of the Sydney and to a small town I have been saving so much. I used to spend about $20 - $50 a day sometimes living in Bondi with all the shops close by. Now I spend about $10 at most a week when I have a coffee and a snack when doing a weekly shop. I cringe now to think at the money wasted at some of those places in Sydney where you pay $12+ for lunch, something like a small sandwich & a coffee when you could make it yourself for about $2. At least when you make it yourself you know what's in it and who had made it. After watching every episode of Kitchen Nightmares I'm very skeptical at eating out these days.

I paid over $10 for a beer in China that was served warm in a glass with ice cubes. 500ml+ bottles were about 40cents in my hostel from the fridge.

Meal for four cost about $1500 once (drinks included), I wasn't paying but was very shocked. Must say it was a great meal but I'd still class it as a rip off

Meal for four cost about $1500 once (drinks included), I wasn't paying but was very shocked. Must say it was a great meal but I'd still class it as a rip off

$375 per head? For that money, not only would i want a great meal, and great drinks, at a nice place with a beautifull view, but they'd also have to feed me, and while we're being fed other staff can fully detail my car, in & out.

What place was this :confused: I've read a couple of lists of expensive resturants in places like France, NYC, and others... i forget what the most expensive was... maybe ~$1k per head? I can't imagine paying $1k for a meal btw :rolleyes:

tracey - that's cheap! we paid over $10 for a glass of coke with loads of ice at a nightclub in Florence each!! omg the wine and beer was cheaper!

lol ... not only in Italy either... and strangley, not only say home/locally made wine either !

but 100 euro for a bottle of chivas regal wasn't.. although that's how they make their money from a reasonable entry fee (1 x bottle minimum per table booking)

I paid over $10 for a beer in China that was served warm in a glass with ice cubes. 500ml+ bottles were about 40cents in my hostel from the fridge.

Just back from W.A. in particular Down South and I can't believe the price of beer over the bars.....! $6.50 to 8.50 for a schooner depending where and the 6.50 was at Dunsborough hotel where tradies were drinking schooners...must be getting paid heaps...it's about $4 a schooner here....:eek:

Also paid $10 for a pint in the Windsor Hotel South Perth...my mate and I had two shouts each.....could've had a slab of crownies or coronas for that $80...!

It wasn't overseas, although a French resturant, it was right here in Australia.

We had two Seafood platters - Whole Crayfish, prawns, oysters, crabs etc
Drinking good wine
Entrees
Plus a couple of sides

By far the most expensive meal I've ever had

Back