Ripped off with food

Bought a lunchtime special. $9.90 for swordfish and salad, GREAT. Also ordered a bottle of coke (new rip-off size looks like 600ml but smaller). Walkin' away with my change and I realise it cost me $3.30 for the coke. :eek:

$7.50 for soup which was a clear liquid with one slice of carrot in it and it tasted disgusting! My dishwashing water would have tasted better.

restaurants and t/a always mark up on beverages. It's a huge profit margin too. Growing up in restuarant business we always helped ourselves to the drinks .

Usually I take bottled water from home with me everywhere. I also have quality tea leaves in a small tin and just ask for hot water. It's expensive stuff.

Drinks is exxy, can cost as much as your meal if you have 2glasses.

Though I do have a weak spot for fresh juice, bubble tea and milk tea..yummy

Very interested to know whats the most ripped off you have felt with food. Went down to Sorrento for lunch yesterday and ordered a sandwich at the first Bakery next to the Continental Hotel. Board said $9.50 for sandwich of Wholemeal bread, Ricotta cheese, cucumber tomato rocket and red pepper. Table service so we sat down and waitress said thats the takeaway price and if you sit its $14.50. We ordered and when it came, there was one large slice of cucumber, 2 thin slices tomato, some rocket on the plate and 2 thin strips of red pepper, but the thing that really got me was ricotta is the cheapest of all cheeses and it was watered down with milk or something. My daughter couldnt believe it and said there isnt even any meat for that price. We had looked at the vanilla slices when we came in (found out later they are famous for these) but were so ticked off we didnt get one, found out later they are $8.00 each.
Also Windows by the Bay at Mordialloc - fab venue, fab atmosphere, but their food is approx $25 $33 a plate and my husbands lamb shanks (which are supposed to be cooked till falling off the bone) were pink inside and my chicken pasta was those cheap reconstituted little chicken bits. Both places will never see me or my friends again

If you ever go up to Brisbane,try Little Singapore Restaurant shop 3 market Square Shopping centre,Sunnybank,most meals are around $10-14,for a family of 5 like us the costs are under 75 dollars with home made drinks and very fast food service,clean,and i can never eat the whole meal
the ladies always give me a take away container to take the left-overs home,value,and once you see the way that business works it always stuns me of the level of service they give,costs nothing to smile..
willair..www.littlesingapore.com.au.

then again at a restaurant in Canberra I once ordered chilly prawns served with rice and they came with 4 tiny prawns and a serve of rice the size or a kiwi fruit.
I told the guy is this supposed to be a main meal?
Surely rice doesn't cost the earth so you can serve a bigger portion...
Anyway, he was confident that this was the appropriate rice portion for this dish and didn't bring any more.
We never went back to that place.

deceptive new coke bottle

Also ordered a bottle of coke (new rip-off size looks like 600ml but smaller). Walkin' away with my change and I realise it cost me $3.30 for the coke. :eek:

Yeh, I've been wondering about those new bottles. What are they called.. Grab bottle or something. I dont know how much they are as I havn't asked but when I first saw them I thought why? They are a smaller size, larger than the 300ml glass bottles you can sometimes get and smaller than the 600ml. Then I thought this is probably a way to get the same or close to the same amount of money for a smaller amount than the 600ml and dress it up as something cool and trandy in a new differnt shaped bottle- marketing. Mind you if you wernt paying attention you could easily grab it from the fridge thinking it was the 600ml - I have almost done this myself.

I refuse to buy them, I'll go to the shop next door if I can. In fact we are starting to think ahead when we go out of a weekend. As we have a 40 min drive into Newcastle, we will do as much as we can in one trip so usually have to get a meal whilst out and drinks as well so now we make sure we have bottles in the fridge and take a small cooler bag with us with drinks. Is saving us heaps, no real great organisation as I was doing this anyway for our 3 year old from when she was born. and I always have to have a small container with 4 or 5 arrowroot biscuits for her.

Back