Ripped off with food

Very interested to know whats the most ripped off you have felt with food. Went down to Sorrento for lunch yesterday and ordered a sandwich at the first Bakery next to the Continental Hotel. Board said $9.50 for sandwich of Wholemeal bread, Ricotta cheese, cucumber tomato rocket and red pepper. Table service so we sat down and waitress said thats the takeaway price and if you sit its $14.50. We ordered and when it came, there was one large slice of cucumber, 2 thin slices tomato, some rocket on the plate and 2 thin strips of red pepper, but the thing that really got me was ricotta is the cheapest of all cheeses and it was watered down with milk or something. My daughter couldnt believe it and said there isnt even any meat for that price. We had looked at the vanilla slices when we came in (found out later they are famous for these) but were so ticked off we didnt get one, found out later they are $8.00 each.
Also Windows by the Bay at Mordialloc - fab venue, fab atmosphere, but their food is approx $25 $33 a plate and my husbands lamb shanks (which are supposed to be cooked till falling off the bone) were pink inside and my chicken pasta was those cheap reconstituted little chicken bits. Both places will never see me or my friends again

I rarely buy from cafes, ever, as most of them are way overpriced, and too many of them have employees that must be way overworked & underpaid because there obviously aren't enough of them to look after everyone, and they aren't very nice.

The most ripped off i've been is when i went to the stokehouse. This was about 5 years ago, and we spent around $150 to feed the two of us.
The food & service was a 100% excellent standard, had a nice time. But it was a real shame that we felt hungry as we were driving home, and the first macdonalds we saw was absolutely irresistable, we just had to go drive though and get a couple of large meals asap, since we were getting desperate.

aussies get award wages unfortunately - they don't HAVE to provide good service or worry about being the face of bad food.

if that happened in america, the waiter/tress would stand up for you to get a good tip.

not here.

you should come to perth if you think that's bad - try a little place called "villa bianchi" on main st, osb. park. i was so astounded and the awful food, incorrect fodd, tardiness and poor service that i really was left speechless, and that's a first for me.

I love Indian (well any spicy "hot" food)

WPMO is when you get indian takeway and they put 3/4 rice 1/4 curry in the container.

Eating at any of the restaurants on Hamilton Island (and I thought eating out in Melbourne and Sydney was expensive!).

In the end bought quiche and pies from the baker, and took it back to the hotel.....

Cheers,

The Y-man

My favourite was a small bakery in our small shopping centre that was doing very well, they had lots of nice slices and cakes for a good reasonable price.

They sold out to new owners and basically the next day when the new owners took over, the same slices and cakes were the same price but guess what they were all HALF the size of what they were the day before, you could even tell where they had just cut the caramel slices (for example) down the middle.

It came as no surprise when they only lasted a few months. The supermarket next door took over their space and expanded.

Some people are just idiots.

was perusing my local cafe menu, which has good and reasonably priced food, and just noticed french bread for $14... definitely not representative prices of the rest of the menu!!

Eating at any of the restaurants on Hamilton Island (and I thought eating out in Melbourne and Sydney was expensive!).

In the end bought quiche and pies from the baker, and took it back to the hotel.....

Cheers,

The Y-man

We got the worst case of food poisoning ever when we bought a chicken from Hamilton Harbour. Luckily it was just hubby and I as one of the kidlets was too young and the other one doesnt like BBQ. It hit within 6 hours of eating it - I had eaten it for lunch at around one, and Husband ate his for dinner around 6pm. Unfortunately I got sick at 7pm - too late to warn mu husband, and we wondered if it was the chicken or something else - but sure enough by midnight, husband was joining me and fighting for the loo and the bucket!:(

I hate arty farty food which costs $$$$ and consists of two or three items and a 'smear' of some coloured stuff on a huge plate. So bloody pretentious. Which is why I love Indian and Thai food - great quality and great value for money to boot.

I'm glad someone else paid for all my meals on Hamilton Island then. That was the best job I have ever had - too bad it was only a week.

My biggest rip off I think was Belgium about 8 years ago - $50 for one small pizza and 2 small diet cokes!

Best value meal I ever had was in '97 in London.

Was being a tourist on one of those double decker open top sight seeing buses around 9am. Was with a couple of people and we were getting pretty famished. So we got off the bus cause we'd seen a maccas sign and thought we would get brekkie there. There was a ticket/conductor bloke from the bus company there who overheard us talking and told us about this place to get a full english breakfast. He was very insistant we go there and even stood on the corner to make sure we didn't get lost as we walked the 50 m or so to this little cafe. It was down a very untourist like side street and I think it was called something like Copper Pot or Copper Kettle.

Anyway, we went in and sat down, the place was packed, not a tourist in site. It was full of men in overalls, middle aged women, a few business men, we stood out like the proverbial... especially when we opened our mouths and started talking.

The decore was "grandma circa 1970's with red checked curtains and table cloths and run by over 50's women in floral aprons.

We ordered the full english breakfast and from memory it was only a couple of pounds. I thought for that we'd get a measly amount but I was absolutely stuffed. Was the best meal Id think I'd had all the trip.

Even got a good tip from the lady sitting next to me when she heard me talking about going to Madam Tusauds, saved me a couple of hours in a que.

I cant for the life of me remember where abouts in London it was, I would love to go there again if I ever go back to UK. Probably an internet cafe by now.:(

I love tepenaki grills and sushi trains you can see what you are getting. I also love high quality restuarants, there is a huge difference between food cooked by chefs as opposed to a cook. Always better if it is a restuarant rather than a bar or cafe.

I love eating out but it needs to be quality, worth the time and money!

My biggest rip off I think was Belgium about 8 years ago - $50 for one small pizza and 2 small diet cokes!
Same thing happened in Venice (Italy). Can't recall exact price, but it was exorbitant to say the least. What made it worse was that the pizzas were paper thin.

Think it was just the place we picked as we were comparing prices ( and pizzas) with others, and we were obviously ripped off.

Ah well, not to worry.

Regards
Marty

One time a t band camp! No realy i remember having a massive binge dreinking session and tapping on the bakers door at 4 am, we had the freshest cheese rolls ever, its funny how its the simplest of things we remember, :)

girlfriend and i try to go to lunch once a month or so - and usually go to the same great value/yummy meals cafe, full plates, rich food, unusual dishes i wouldn't normally cook at home (and they fill the wine glass!) - but every so often we try somewhere different. like last week.

the menu sounded delicious so i ordered the the lamb with carmelised onion and "something" soft cheese, served with sourdough bread.

well, the bread was two toasted slabs, the extremely fatty lamb filled a tiny condiment dish, the onion was tasteless and the cheese was barely a teaspoon.

okay, it was only $15 but i expect more than two pieces of toast, a wobble of fat and not much else for my money. we'll be heading back to our usual haunt next time.

p.s. goldberg's, darby st, cooks hill - great feed, good prices and dynamic environment.

Maccas.

I go there about twice a year normally.

Now; never.

Last visit was $6.75 for a "light" burger. The heart health version.

It was very, very ordinary.

Compared to my local Fish and Chip shop in Dromana, an egg and bacon hamburger which tastes great is $4.75.

Nanutarra roadhouse. Ham cheese and tomato sandwich on regular sliced white bread (the sort you get in those plastic triangle containers). $15. Toasting extra.

Needless to say we didn't eat there and continued on to Exmouth with rumbly tummies.

Nanutarra roadhouse. Ham cheese and tomato sandwich on regular sliced white bread (the sort you get in those plastic triangle containers). $15. Toasting extra.

Needless to say we didn't eat there and continued on to Exmouth with rumbly tummies.

$15..for a toastie???????? What the...............:eek:

Back