Rising Damp - Shared Wall

Hi,

I am new to this forum, so please excuse any mistakes I may make when writing this thread :)

I was wondering if someone may be able to help me with some advice?

I have rising damp on a shared wall in one of my properties. We had the damp fixed about 8 years ago (on our side of the double brick wall), but as the owner of the other side of the wall did not get her side fixed the damp has come back.

Can anyone please help me with my rights? How I can gain access to the other property to view her wall (she will not give us access) or how I can get her to fix her side as well?

As we have already fixed the wall once, I don't really want to go ahead and spend more money without her cooperation as it will most likely come back again. It is also devaluing our property decreasing the rental return!

It would be much appreciated if anyone could help, or give me some tips.

Thanks,

TSO

Get some advice from a lawyer experienced in property matters re your rights in relation to easement for party walls. What does your title deed say?

Hi,

Thanks to you both for your quick responses!

jrc - my business partner has the title deed. I will speak to her regarding what the title deed says and go from there!

The Y Man - The origional repair was done by injecting the wall with silicone or 'damp proof course material' directly into each brick, forming a new damp proof barrier. They also chipped away the exisiting salt contaminated plaster, and rerendered with salt resistant anti sulphate plaster.

I have had no luck with the company who did the first job (not returning calls) so I am on the hunt for another company to assist.

Thanks again for your help,

TSO

The Y Man - The origional repair was done by injecting the wall with silicone or 'damp proof course material' directly into each brick, forming a new damp proof barrier. They also chipped away the exisiting salt contaminated plaster, and rerendered with salt resistant anti sulphate plaster.

From your description, you should not be seeing any signs of distress on your side of the wall? Is it cavity brick or are they built flush back to back?

Sorry I can't comment on how to help - I'm just interested in why the existing treatment does not appear to be working, since usually such treatments come with a guarantee.

Hi Zeddy,

We are presuming the walls are back to back. The unit is basically a very old large house that has been split into 4 units. The first time the damp was fixed they warned us that if the opposite side wasnt fixed, that it would probably come back.

I have actually rang Archicentre for their advice. Hopfully if they come and do an inspection we may be bale to gain access to the other property. Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

TSO

TSO

If it is back to back, they were exactly right. It's like saying you plugged half the hole in your bucket to stop the leaking. :(

I hope you'll be able to get access this time and strike a deal with your neighbour to fix the problem.

Thanks Zeddy.

I have now got a copy of the buildings insurance, so that might be another avenue. She may be more willing to comply if we can claim it on insurance.

Back