Rising damp - would you buy?

Hi all

Your advice is appreciated.

I have been helping my friend look for a property. She found a full brick double storey townhouse (in a complex of 3) about a month ago. The complex was built about 15 years ago on a suspended concrete slab with tile roof. The complex sits at street level but the garages are underground. The garage of this property sits almost directly under the townhouse.

When we inspected it, the inside of the townhouse looked okay to our very inexperienced eyes. We noticed the bottom part of the garage wall to be damp with signs of water penetration - photograph below.

A strata report was commissioned which returned with no indication of any structural or notable defect.

She proceeded to exchange the contract and is currently in cooling off. A building inspector was sent out a few days ago who returned with the following findings:
1. lateral or rising damp is present in the walls of the garage (see photo 1);
2. lateral / rising damp is present to the lounge brick walls, considered to be "a water penetration damp related defect" (see photo 2);
3. water damage is present to cupboards, considered to be "a water penetration damp related defect" to the extent the cupboards have become unservicable and require replacement;
4. water damage located at kitchen ceiling (an ensuite toilet is above the kitchen)
5. Water stains located at bedroom 1 ceiling (which is on the top floor) - (see photo 3)
6. Paint is flaking at bathroom ceiling linings (which is on the top floor) - (see photo 3?)
7. Sagging is present to bedrooms and bathroom ceiling (all on top floor)
8. Sarking has several penetration points/tears/damage to the extent that water penetration might occur within the building and requires sealing/repairs.
9. The condition of this property is average compared with properties of similar age and built.

This property obviously has some water penetration issues, coming from the ground (lateral/rising damp in the underground garage and signs of same in the lounge) and from the roof (signs of water stains, paint flaking etc on the top floor ceiling). This is obviously not ideal. But we believe the price at which the property has been exchanged is at least $80,000 below market value (going by similar listings in its immediate vicinity), that's why she has not already walked away.

She believes the leaking from up and above can be rectified by fixing the sarking and flashings.

She is not overly concerned (or maybe she should be???) with the rising damp issue in the garage (as it is underground and will be used for no other purpose but to park her or tenant's car - and even if it becomes unusable there is plenty of parking on the street).

She feels the rising damp issue in the lounge is of the greatest concern - will it get worse, will it cause build up of mould etc etc.

What are your views about buying something like this?

Are we correct in thinking all of these issues should be addressed by Strata anyway?

What has been your experience with water penetration? Will it render the property structurally unsound over time and if so how long are we talking (a few years or a few decades)?

Does the problem look serious enough for immediate rectification?

What kind of costs are involved in rectifying rising damp and fixing sarkings?

Thank you all in advance.

You have to make sure that you stop the flow of water into the wall cavity which causes the rising damp to take place. Then let it dry out.

photographs (sorry had to save them in pdf format)

Attachments

• garage wall.pdf
    303.9 KB · Views: 162
  • lounge wall.pdf
    322.7 KB · Views: 126
  • top floor ceiling.pdf
    364.9 KB · Views: 120
You have to make sure that you stop the flow of water into the wall cavity which causes the rising damp to take place. Then let it dry out.

Am I right in thinking this is no way close to a DIY job? So contractors need to be engaged - if so, is waterproofer the best people to talk to?

Am I right in thinking this is no way close to a DIY job? So contractors need to be engaged - if so, is waterproofer the best people to talk to?

Depends on where it's coming from. One of my houses had this problem with rising damp because the roof needed replacing and the gutters were blocked which caused water to flow into the walls. I got the roof and gutters fixed by a plumber - problem solved.

Thanks Ace

Would you recommend she send out a plumber out to have a look at the place before cooling off expires?
Maybe start with a lic builder,just by the look of those walls in $$$$ terms may work out very costly,if you could get a copy of the rates and water charges that may also help to see what the water supply bill is like if that's normal then the plumbing all bar the roof line will not be a problem,the slab may have a problem,..

15 years old and it has that many water ingress problems? I would run far away... especially from the rising damp in the garage, because underground drainage problems can be very costly- where is the wall drainage & damp-proof course? I would also ask why the roof is leaking already. A 15 year old house shouldn't have those problems.

Considering I own a number of IPs I would have to disagree. But all of them are structurally sound so my biggest repair bill has been to replace a garborator.

Exchange means signing a contract and giving a 10% deposit. Here, in NSW, I would inspect the building prior to exchange.

In Queensland you sign the contract. If vendor signs the contract it becomes a "contract".

You then have cooling off, and if you want to get building and pest and haven't done so before signing, this is the time to do it. Either that or put your contract subject to build and/or pest.

I gather from other posts that many NSW sellers would never accept a contract with "subject to" clauses. Personally, I like to buy with a clean contract, so we go in for cash. But I'm guessing most people put in building and/or finance conditions in Queensland.

Different states... different rules.

Back