Rising Damp

Hi All,

Has anyone tried and can recommend one of those organisations purporting to fix rising damp problems?

Property in north east metro Melbourne.

The Y-man

Same question, but in the Windsor / North Richmond area (NSW)

Hi all - don't want to hijack, but instead of having two threads with the same question, also wanting to see if anyone can recommend a good damp fixer in the Hawkesbury region in NSW? Property in Windsor.

The Y-man,

When my wife and I renovated and extended our heritage home, we engaged a team to resolve the rising damp issue we had in the house.

The process was;

1. Inspect the property, being check roof plumbing and put a moisture meter on on the internal walls to identify where the problem was.

2. Contractor prepared and submitted a quote to us to rectify the problem, which was accepted

3. Contractor attended site, removed 3 bricks (long ways) at a time from the outside course of brickwork, raked out all the loose lime mortar that had dropped down from the brick joints above (was up to 300mm high in the cavities), then replaced the bricks using Dampco in the mortar mix.

The problem has been resolved to our satisfaction.

Glenn

The Y-man,

When my wife and I renovated and extended our heritage home, we engaged a team to resolve the rising damp issue we had in the house.

The process was;

1. Inspect the property, being check roof plumbing and put a moisture meter on on the internal walls to identify where the problem was.

2. Contractor prepared and submitted a quote to us to rectify the problem, which was accepted

3. Contractor attended site, removed 3 bricks (long ways) at a time from the outside course of brickwork, raked out all the loose lime mortar that had dropped down from the brick joints above (was up to 300mm high in the cavities), then replaced the bricks using Dampco in the mortar mix.

The problem has been resolved to our satisfaction.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn,

Rough $ for your exercise?

The Y-man

Thanks Glenn,

Rough $ for your exercise?

The Y-man

Hi All,

My IP is built in the 70's (strata). Recently (new) tenants said that there is a water leak (possibly dampness) in the bathroom.
Got the quote around $6000 (which basically close to full reno) to fix this issue.

Pretty shocked about this, I would like to ask, whether:
1. This is the right $ amount to fix this problem (am I being ripped-off)?
2. Anyone know someone to fix this issue (south-east melb)?
3. A company such as megasealed, can they fix this issue?

Any help would be much much appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:
There are two methods of doing the work - the first as described above is to undercut the bricks one metre at a time, push in a dpc & regrout, skip 2 metres then repeat. The second method is to use a 'Westox' type product which is a silicon based liquid, drilled into the mortar joint with several tubes per metre to ensure that a barrier is formed.

In both cases, you need to remove the skirtings and cement render where the works are undertaken.

Your local newspaper usually has some of these adverts.

Heritage-listed horror

Extending this thread....
Great to see your success. Any photos? I second Y-man's query about cost, please rabidz.

I'm now considering a very old building with dreadful rising damp.
From what I can see, ugly render needs to be removed on outside of external walls, plaster removed from inside, lime mortar cleaned up and reapplied.

As already mentioned, there are 2 ways to approach it and this one calls for the natural/lime etc approach. It's an old building that's suffocating with render and vinyl. One part hasn't been used for 10 years as the rising damp and mould make it uninhabitable.

Probably pre-1850 - no ventilation. Needs to breathe. Can I remove the render myself without ruining the walls?

Has anyone done this on an old building?
How much can you do by yourself without being a builder. I once tried plastering and could barely hold the pallet.
Maybe I'd get better if I did it day after day?

Is it super expensive to have brick/cement struts put in?

Hope you can answer some of these beginner questions. Wanting to learn fast. :)

I paid someone to do this process on my 1880s end terrace house.
They cut along a line and inserted plastic sheeting, put in an underground fan, which promptly broke, and they didnt/wouldnt come back...
The walls are british bond I think.
Cost was about 4k.

My neighbour filled in their sub floor with cement, and blocked any ventilation there was...
Ok I am wiser now. Should have made a fuss, but I didn't realise the impact it would have

I need to pay some one every year or 2 to properly kill termites...

I have to say I still love my house, though
I hope this helps,
Seaford Sunshine

Thanks SeafordSunshine,
I'm sure your terrace is beautiful.

Another guy that was doing the inspection with me at the same time also suggested filling the floor with cement - how ridiculous!

OK so maybe it's not just a one-off situation of fixing it up: on-going problems...

Am starting to get qute suspicious of this kind of thing as well as some of the 'professionals'.

Just having had a quick look at you-tube and google, it seems that very old buildings need to breathe. The rendering needs removing, the plaster needs to be lime, no vinyl floors, no modern plaster, maybe more holes, more windows?

Glenn's team and method seems to be the only success story so far, would you agree?

:confused:

Extending this thread....
Great to see your success. Any photos? I second Y-man's query about cost, please rabidz.

I'm now considering a very old building with dreadful rising damp.
From what I can see, ugly render needs to be removed on outside of external walls, plaster removed from inside, lime mortar cleaned up and reapplied.

Hi WattleIdo,

It ends up costing me around 8000, because the waterproof membrane need to be applied. So, I end up doing a semi reno.
I share my story below..

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100599

Back