Robin Williams?s Widow and Children Tangle Over Estate

Interesting to see disputes already arising in this sad case.

Robin Williams?s Widow and Children Tangle Over Estate

Nearly six months after the death of Robin Williams, the Academy Award-winning actor and comedian, his widow and his children have become engaged in a contentious legal dispute over his estate.

Court documents filed in December and January outline a bitter disagreement over money and property between the widow, Susan Schneider Williams, who was Mr. Williams?s third wife, and Zak, Zelda and Cody Williams, the comedian?s children from two previous marriages that ended in divorce.

At stake is not only a portion of the wealth that Mr. Williams accumulated in a film, television and stage career of some 40 years, but also cherished belongings that include his clothing, collectibles and personal photographs.
Continue reading the main story
Related Coverage

The comedian and actor Robin Williams in 2002.
Robin Williams, Oscar-Winning Comedian, Dies at 63AUG. 11, 2014
An Appraisal: Robin Williams, an Improvisational Genius, Forever Present in the MomentAUG. 11, 2014
A photo of Robin Williams as Mork hangs in front of the house in Boulder, Colo., where the show ?Mork and Mindy? was set.
An Appraisal: Robin Williams Was Always Perfect for the Small ScreenAUG. 12, 2014

In their court papers, both sides display keen interest in such memorabilia ? everything from Mr. Williams?s bicycles to his collections of fossils and toys ? as tangible, deeply personal reminders of the irrepressible, manic imagination that drove his performances as a comedian and actor.

continued at http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/m...en-tangle-over-estate.html?smid=li-share&_r=0

The case of M Hutchence (INXS) mirrored once gain.
- What are estate assets and non-estate assets (eg trust assets etc)
- How many trust estates ?? US Trust law can allow you to create a trust prior to death over personal assets. (Sort of Testamentary Trust like but different)
- Who controls each ??
- Do you trust them ?

Michael's will left his mum the home in trust for his child. However it was owned by a trust...Controlled by the Accountant. Ditto almost every asset in the will. Courts found against every claimant. Those who controlled the trust probably received the fruits of death...Secretly.

I simply cannot fathom blood related individuals fighting over their dead parents/relatives money, especially if they have a good relationship prior.

geez, money brings out the ugliness in some people.

I hope that I dont ever go down that path

I simply cannot fathom blood related individuals fighting over their dead parents/relatives money, especially if they have a good relationship prior.

Its not always that simple. They may both may be unable to determine what are the estate assets. They don't dispute the will - Just what is included.

You should see what some families do when a deceased changes their will and leaves it to a floozie, a carer or a charity. I have seen family steal from family and third parties steal from an estate. Money brings out the ugly in some people. In these cases whose right - Family, the beneficiary or the deceased ? All different views = different opinions.

Often it is not the blood related but children of the first marriage and the spouse of the 3rd marriage - which I think is what is happening here.

But often it is blood. There is that superannuation case where the sister took dad's full $1mil super for herself and leaving her brother with $0.

Perhaps, had his kids handled this different at the outset (and not gone immediately into the house), the wife would not have got so frightened and defensive. Looks like both sides now have their backs up ready for a fight. Very sad.

Often it is not the blood related but children of the first marriage and the spouse of the 3rd marriage - which I think is what is happening here.

But often it is blood. There is that superannuation case where the sister took dad's full $1mil super for herself and leaving her brother with $0.

well lucky my parents have basically zero assets,

I guess its a common problem amongst the rich and famous or those with multiple marriages and children

Back