Rockdale for 600k plus or somewhere else?

Debating whether Rockdale is still a good area for CG and PPOR for a few years. My friend said it isn't an area with further potential. She said, look at Chatswood and nearby suburbs, 40% rise because of the wealthy people who live there. You don't get wealthy people wanting to move to Rockdale.

Rockdale has had its boom like everywhere else in Sydney over the past 12 months. There are about 5 or 6 new off OTP developments going up but they are all sold out. OTP of this kind would go for around 680+ I think.

Rent is easy if I ever want to rent it out. The block I am looking at is more on the pricy side than the average 2 bed unit in Rockdale as its on a quiet st on the east side of the hwy, so no train noise or hwy noise. 5 min walk to station that is no longer servicing fast trains during peak hrs, very easy to just drive out to Brighton and straight to the hwy and to city. I do prefer Wolli creek biut so pricy now and second hand units hardly get listed.

Agent is asking 625 despite she saying offers over 590 (block is 8-9 years old). I said I was originally going to offer 610 but I said 620. It's a 134sqm unit with 2 bed, 2 bath and 2 car. Bedrooms face east with views to the ocean. You can only just see it. Lounge facing west and oversees the block about 50 m away. No big deal as I think the bedroom balcony are better for the view. It's peaceful and you could leave the blinds open and no one can look in.

I have mixed views on Rockdale; very run down suburb, a lot of middle eastern and indians walking around dressed very low class, but it's very close to the city. My friend who I brought along said what if you no longer work in the city, what is the point. Then I had second thoughts and realised why inner west is more popular as its more central to both the CBD and outer west.

Any thoughts would be great; I need to get back to the agent tomorrow. She will most likely go with 622 but typical unit in Rockdale goes for about 530 - 580. Would you pay 620 because it is 134sqm as opposed to say 100 sqm and out up with either hwy noise or train noise? It has concrete walls between the units which is also good. Usually 600 + is for a 3 bed.

Oh the bad is that you can't install an air con as the building does not have enough power supplied to it. Will it be an issue with east to west air flowing through. I love air con.

Any one got better suggestions for 625K that is within 15 km to city and is not a 40 year old block.

Last edited:
This one is on Frederick St - I'd stay clear of anything on here, such a busy road (joins City West link).

But the 3 bedroom looks good for the price.

Yep I agree Frederick St is no good as its busy and gets congested. I saw the 3 bed as well but it's too far from station and requires a lot of reno work if I was to live in it for a couple of years. New kitchen and bathroom would cost me another 15k at least.

Yep I agree Frederick St is no good as its busy and gets congested. I saw the 3 bed as well but it's too far from station and requires a lot of reno work if I was to live in it for a couple of years. New kitchen and bathroom would cost me another 15k at least.

This is a value add purchase, you're getting 3 beds when you're after 2. It is liveable, renovate at leisure, $15k is nothing if it is going to give back more than double this amount.

mmm, what do you mean by this?

If Frederick St is affected by the Westconnex and road widening is required on the east side of the street (plenty of the new units further down are built back from the street on the west side, but further up towards the city it is the east side affected).

I always thought it was the western side of Frederick St that was ear marked for road widening (you'll notice that the pool car park has a sign saying it belongs to the RTA or something like that).

You're right about the sign by the aquatic centre which is on the western side of Frederick St. But that's pretty far from the part of Frederick St up near Parramatta Rd.... how do we know they will stick to the same side all the way up?

the route varies and affects both sides of the road. Between Ramsay & Parramatta Rd it's the east side, further along it changes to the west. There are several parcels of land which have RTA/RMS signage including some between the railway/pool and the Hume highway.

Back