Rolf and Sim

W

WebBoard

Hi Guys
Firstly thanks for replying to my first post and sorry I haven't posted again until now as I work 12 hour shifts under ground and sometimes there just isn't enough time in the day.

Rolf - I have heard of buyers agents before and have a general understanding of how they work but my problem is I want knowledge rather than someone just to buy property for me ( the old teach a man to fish story). If I could find a buyers agent who will show me how he found the property for me then I would be happy to use one. Just because I'm not in a position to look for property myself now doesn't mean I wont be in the future (a move to the city for example).

Sim - Yes a lot has happened in Roxby over the recent years including a huge 2.2 billion dollar expansion which saw the third shaft being dug. As for the property situation yes it used to be tightly held by the company but not anymore. During the expansion the town basically doubled in size and housing was incredibly hard to come by resulting in many people (like myself) having to live in one of the towns caravan parks and astronomical rents - $400 p/w for a three bedroom house that could have been bought before the expansion for around $130,000.
After the expansion all of the construction people left leaving a lot of empty house so the situation we have now is quite a depressed market with prices lower than I have seen them. Which is a real bummer for me because I was able to get a company house, put the van I was living in the back yard, reconstruct the solid annex next to a shed that I knocked a doorway through and lined, creating a two bedroom flat in my backyard. Three years ago the place would've been valued at around $180,000 while now it's down to around $140,000. :-( Oh well
Anyway thanks again

Marty

(Don't be an Impala)

PS Can you tell me how to reply to a post rather than do a new post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Thanks for the info Marty... no wonder there are heaps of adverts for Roxby around at the moment.

... and a THIRD shaft ? Wow... I didn't know they were even considering that. It's been too long since I was up there :(

To reply to a post, there is a menu in small writing at the top of each post, and second item from the left is "Reply". Simply click on that for the post you want to reply to !

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 2

Hi Marty

Don't let the "teach a man to fish" logic get in the way of how most people find great deals.

In my experience, great deals tend to come from time spent looking combined with a bit of inspiration to see the potential in a deal.

Paul Zag
Dreamspinner
The Oz Film Biz site is archived at...
http://wealthesteem.dyndns.org/

Reply: 2.1

Couldn't agree more Paul. When you know how to fish and you are familiar with your chosen areas, the fish just keep on biting even without a baited hook!

Michael Croft

Reply: 2.1.1

Rub my face in it why don'tcha Michael! ;-)

I was trying to "expand the pond" a bit because my old pond has become a negative gearing wasteland (!@#$%^ seminars!). 3.5% yields.

So while I've still done a deal or two over the last 12 months it's been a bit lean.

Actually let me correct that. Over the last 12 months my focus has moved from the absolute returns to "how long to get my capital back?"

This change of focus has meant I've passed on deals I would have done 18 months ago. I'm not sure passing was more profitable, but I am following a different strategy.

Also I am still keeping an eye on my home pond. Interestingly I missed out on one property a month ago at $172K that would have been "too expensive" a year ago at $165K. It would be worth $180K easily.

Staying up-to-date on my ponds is also important.

Regards

Paul Zag
Dreamspinner
The Oz Film Biz site is archived at...
http://wealthesteem.dyndns.org/

Reply: 2.1.1.1

Hi guys

Michael and Paul - I think I'm getting the idea. Rather than focusing on something that may prove to be an impossible task ( finding that elusive cashflow positive property in a great capital gain area from where I am ) maybe I should be looking a little closer to home for good possibilities?

Sim - thanks for the info on how to reply. I had never even glanced at the bar at the top. Now that I do it's pretty obvious isn't it. Oh well.

Marty

(Don't be an Impala)

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1

Um, OK Marty, I'll be the mug!

Why should we not be an Impala?

Nice looking animals given to leaping about a bit. What's wrong with that?

Please end the suspense

Ta

Kristine

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.2

Hi Kristine

Just an interesting story I heard recently.
The Impala is able to jump ten feet in the air and leap thirty feet in distance and yet an entire herd of Impalas' can be contained by a three foot wall. Why? Because they can't see the other side. This more a reminder to myself than instruction for others. I think it closely mirrors so many people. We all have great abilities that we often don't use though lack of vision. I don't want to be trapped like that. I hope this doesn't sound like some kind of sermon, or that I'm preaching or something I just find it works for me.

Marty

(Don't be an Impala)

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.2.1

Marty,

An interesting story (myth, perhaps..) - but if it makes the point, run with it.

Just off the cuff, I believe the Impala is taller than 3 foot (nearer 5 foot I would think, or I'm thinking of the wrong beast..)

I just wonder if the lack of a "run-up" might be the real reason - I mean, if your 3 foot walled corral is wall-to-wall with Impalas, then getting a run-up could be a major problem.....

Still, it IS a good anecdote - and, if it works for you, run with it (even if you can't jump ;^)

Regards,

Les

- "Eschew Obfuscation" - ;^)

Back