Roller blinds, curtains or verticals ?

Hey all,

Any advice on roller blinds, or curtains vs verticals in a rental unit.

Roller blinds seem more modern to me?
Verticals maybe easier ? But older feel?
Curtains ? Not sure basics tab curtains might be ok?

Any advice from experience?

roller blinds

i would use roller blinds for a rental property

Roller blinds are:
1. less likely to get damaged/tangled/broken
2. are cheaper
3. are more modern looking

last week Spotlight had a buy 2 roller blinds get one free sale - not sure if they are still on sale)

Recently Ive been putting roller blinds that you can see through from the inside but not from the outside. I think they look more modern too , and should never need replacing or maintainence.

I would avoid the metal verticals. Tenants just can't resist the urge to pull them apart to look through which kinks them. After a while they look terrible.

Im still working this one out. Thought metal venetians would be terrible until i spent 3 yrs in rental that had them throughout (with 3 young kids including toddler) they were suprisingly tough, my son only managed to bend one after lots of trying and I bent it back when we left the place you couldn't have found it unless I told you.

Verticals more exxy but only do ones with NO chain at the bottom. EVERY rental place I have seen that had a chain had broken bits and it looks terrible.

Yet to try rollers. Any pro renovators out there done heaps of one thing?

Agree the thin metal venetians are the worst. Great for about one month, great looking when they go up ... Then it's all down hill.

Rollers sound like the way forward.. Cheap, easy, clean, hard to break ?

We've done different things over the last few years and had no problems with either option (so far).

House 1.
Drapes / nets to all rooms.
Slimline venetian blinds (metal) to kitchen.
No other blinds of any sort.

House 2.
Cheapish verticals through most rooms.
Kitchen has roller blinds only.
Lounge has roller blinds on front door (double glass).

House 3.
Drapes/Nets to front rooms.
Drapes only to other bedrooms.
Slimline venetian blinds (metal) to kitchen & rear porch area.

House 4.
Drapes/Nets to front rooms.
Drapes only to other bedrooms.
Slimline venetian blinds (metal) to kitchen, bathroom & rear porch area

In our PPOR, we've got slimline venetian blinds (metal) to kitchen, 2 x bathrooms & toilet. Still looking OK after 15 years (but are in our PPOR of course, so better treatment maybe).

I think everyone will think different about it. Although we don't have to, we like to try & supply a rental that we ourselves could live with. I would probably not do verticals again as they're bad insulators & usually damaged easily by smaller kids. Personally, I would never rent a place that only had blinds - it would annoy me that I'd have to go and buy drapes.

Interesting our ppr is all plantation shutters, I love them !

No curtains to clean or collect dust.. Just white shutters .. Quick wipe over and they are done...

Plus you can choose for privacy or light or total block out...

We have off white metal wide shutters in all bedrooms. It is full security and we can leave windows open most of the year.

In our rentals we usually use eyelet curtains. They look good and are easy to use. No cords to fiddle with.

Hi Wylie, I'd love to hear a bit more about the shutters- we are looking for something for our PPOR that offers security as well as a bit of privacy. Have they been installed over casement windows? How do you access the window to open and close it (ie, is the shutter removable or partly removable)? Do you need or can you install curtains over the top? Thanks!

I just took a couple of photos. They are from my phone, so quality is not great, but gives an idea of what they look like.

We did have security grills on our bedroom windows but I used to worry about how we would get out in a fire, so we removed them and installed these. We used to have eyelet curtains, but like the clean look. These photos are of shutters that had to sit proud of the window due to the window hardware. In other parts of the house, we have the shutters sitting inside the window opening, which I think is better, but not possible without changing all our hardware.

They are hinged on one side and key locked the other side. We have full sized french door (size of two normal doors) downstairs which are sitting inside the window frame which is more streamlined.

These were made by Guardian. We were convinced of their security aspect when we saw a photo of a shutter propped up like a ramp, with the front wheel of a large 4WD sitting in the middle of a shutter and it held the weight.

The shutters are operated by a key, which we keep in each bedroom near the beds, so that in the event of a fire, can be quickly used to open them.

We did look at (and price) shutters made of other materials, composite and timber, but these were by far the strongest, and some others were locked with a "star" key, similar to an allen key - not secure enough for us.

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

I tried to attach a photo showing the lock up close, but having trouble. The lock sits half way up and you can see it in the bedroom photo.

We particularly love our bed sitting in the box bay window because we can just reach up and open or close the louvres without getting out of bed :).

Attachments

• IMG_1324.jpg
    IMG_1324.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 174
I'm guessing they pivot as well to control the light by that bar down the side?

Those sound and look good for the street side of a house I am building.

Yes, they do pivot with the control stick on one side. It is quite firm and not "wobbly" like some others we saw that I think would break with any sort of rough handling.

Our bedroom has side windows as well, so we get a great airflow through so we tend to have them wide open at night. In the morning, when the sun shines in, we reach up and angle them up a bit to keep it a bit dim.

I was amazed when they first went in that when fully closed, the room is almost pitch black even in full daylight.

I'd like to put more in at the back of the house, and we might do that.

Hey all,

Any advice on roller blinds, or curtains vs verticals in a rental unit.

Roller blinds seem more modern to me?
Verticals maybe easier ? But older feel?
Curtains ? Not sure basics tab curtains might be ok?

Any advice from experience?

Have all of the three.

Verticals in older constructions, and yes, moved onto roller blinds now, but have some curtains and drapes as well. The curtains (from recollection) have blinds in all rooms except two kitchens that look over/into (own) houseyard anyway. Some of the IP's I bought had both the curtains and blinds, only a couple a bit tatty so I opted to replace, was buggar all $$, but kept the place well presented.

So, investing in property since 2003, never had any repairs on any of the blinds/cords as yet. Touch wood.:)

By 'roller blinds' do you mean holland blinds? Those things are seriously in fashion again? They were popular years ago and got ousted by verticals and venetians.

We have thin metal venetians in 3 rooms for privacy, and hollands in the kid's bedrooms for full light blockout. But the windows also have blockout eyelet curtains, except the kid's rooms which have non-blockout decorative curtains in nice bright colours.

Wylie, that is incredibly helpful- thankyou so much. I will show my husband as he is forever whinging about the Brisbane sun blasting us through the curtains at 5am :) We had the metal screens but I thought they were a fire risk (and ugly too) so I have been removing them as I paint the windows. I love the idea of being able to open and close them and still open our casements. Thanks again!

Back