Roller blinds on corner windows

I'm after other peoples opinions/experiences on roller blinds. I had venetians previously, I wish I opted for that now as the corner wasn't an issue.
I've just had some blinds measured and installed and the privacy/gaps is shocking.
1) I think they may have measured an inch too small so have hung them an inch away from window causing a gap.
2) I chose to have the roll facing the outside of house. It appears if I have the roll facing interior it will close the gap another couple of inches. Do other people also find roll facing interior ugly? I guess it may be better than having big gaps!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 3,381
I usually have the roll facing the inside as it helps them sit flusher against the window reducing those gaps.

If you don't like looking at the roll then you could make a simple pelmet to hide it.

I usually have the roll facing the inside as it helps them sit flusher against the window reducing those gaps.

If you don't like looking at the roll then you could make a simple pelmet to hide it.

Just a rental so I guess tenant isn't going to think, 'don't want to rent it as I don't like the roll on blind' but 'privacy' and 'security' could be a deal breaker.

If this is a bedroom, you could add a curtain rail and curtains for better privacy.

Unless it is seen as a problem by the prospective tenant I wouldn't worry.

if you have the roll on the inside it minimises the gap.

all the blinds i have seen are actually recessed into the window frames and sit a cm away from the glass.
in your second picture it looks like your window frame is stopping the blind from sitting nice and close the the glass. so has to be mounted out a bit wider.

you will always have a cm or so on the outsides of the roll as it has to allow for the roller aswell.
only option i could think is mount the blinds on the outside of the window frame with roll facing inwards and get wider ones...

the other corner one might have to be hung higher to allow it to sit flush then get some framing made to hide the rolls.

A reverse roll ie with the roll facing the street, will allow the edges of the blinds to sit closer and decrease the gap.

You've got a column behind the gap, distance to the street is 5+ metres. The gap is insignificant.

If concerned have the agent show the property with the blinds up.

if you have the roll on the inside it minimises the gap.

all the blinds i have seen are actually recessed into the window frames and sit a cm away from the glass.
in your second picture it looks like your window frame is stopping the blind from sitting nice and close the the glass. so has to be mounted out a bit wider.

you will always have a cm or so on the outsides of the roll as it has to allow for the roller aswell.
only option i could think is mount the blinds on the outside of the window frame with roll facing inwards and get wider ones...

the other corner one might have to be hung higher to allow it to sit flush then get some framing made to hide the rolls.
Here is a pic from underneath. I can't see why the blind fitting isn't up to wooden frame which makes me think they've measured too small and hung them to compensate.

I prefer a front roll, the blinds seem set a bit far our on the frame.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    593.7 KB · Views: 413
The company is going to rectify so want to make sure it's right so thanks everyone for replies.
This is the corner

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 607
You can see here both blinds could be installed back further- but the middle gap would be bigger .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 331
Hi Investor

Did you have to install these to the whole house? Would you mind sharing the cost? We have an IP settling soon which will need new window treatment - just wondering if this would be more cost effective than how we have done it in the past.

A reverse roll ie with the roll facing the street, will allow the edges of the blinds to sit closer and decrease the gap.

You've got a column behind the gap, distance to the street is 5+ metres. The gap is insignificant.

If concerned have the agent show the property with the blinds up.

It's a retain and build two behind dev't block so a driveway will be going past this corner in the future.

Hi Investor

Did you have to install these to the whole house? Would you mind sharing the cost? We have an IP settling soon which will need new window treatment - just wondering if this would be more cost effective than how we have done it in the past.

The blinds cost $426 for two. (They should last at least 10 yrs, so $40/yr isn't too bad-venetians get ruined within a couple of years with tenants) I think that's pretty expensive though!. Spotlight had some for about $100 each on special. One of my windows was really large and they didn't make them that large. Others on this forum have used Blindsonline, or something like that which would be a lot cheaper if you could measure and install yourself.

Last edited:
Hi Investor

i have bought a heap of cheap ones from spotlight for my new house they were 40-50% off.
missus has them on her house in a few spots and if you look after them they are fine.

The company is going to rectify so want to make sure it's right so thanks everyone for replies.
This is the corner

what i would do is get them to put them into the window frame as far as they can (one on left) then the other one they would have to remeasure and make one a bit longer.
there will be a gap due to the roller on the side but if they put it as close as possible then it shouldnt be too bad

I had roller blinds installed throughout my own house - some are just singles (sheers) and some have a second blockout blind.
If I were getting rollers again, I'd have them all installed on the outside of the window frame as when put inside the frame the gap required for the fixing means a few cms gap down both sides - also the gap at the top is annoying and not energy efficient.
Not sure of the proper solution to these gaps because I think installing them on the outside would mean they sit a long way off the window (??)

Thanks all. They have come out and remeasured and admitted one blind was made too small so it was fitted to try to counteract that so will now make a bigger blind and fit properly, closer to window.

Back