Roof Leaks - HELP

Hi Guys,

"This is the first time I am posting thread for help with this forum, so not too sure if I posted at the right place. Apology in advance if I did not. ----":(:( A Miserable Owner at the moment

I am a first time unit owner, and therefore am quiet new to all the building repair and maintenance issues that revolve around a so-called "owners corporation".

My partner and I have just bought a top floor unit 6months ago, and are now facing extensive water saturation across ceilings of 2 of our bedrooms as well as the kitchen area. There is an infestation of water stains, molds building up across the edges of our ceilings, and worse still, at time of heavy rain, water would start dripping into one of the bedrooms and we would have put a bucket in place collect the rain water coming through the ceiling.

My partner and I had since inspected the rooftop area directly above our unit, and discovered a large standing pool of water around the area above our unit with moldy and cracked rooftop tiles and ineffective water drainage system. We believe that it's the failed water proofing on the rooftop that had led to this extensive water damage on our ceilings down below.

However, when we raised the water leaking problem with the strata manager, his reply was a standard wait and see. He obviously knew what the problem was, and said fairly quickly that our issue was much to do with the water proofing membrane failure that had caused other leaking issues on balconies of other units and the garage basement area that he raised in the owner's meeting last October. He said, since that meeting he had been trying to organize some sort of plumber report to assess the overall problem and was originally scheduled to table the findings in another meeting to the lot owners in February this year. Apparently, submission of plumber reports never came, as in the manager's own word, all the plumbers he contacted was "too busy" and had therefore turned down the submissions at the last minute. For a total of 6 months, he was only able to contact 3 plumbers with no report taken place, and hence the February meeting was canceled as a result. So given this is the situation, he asked us to wait more patiently for him to arrange further plumbing reports that he hopes to table to all the lot owners in another 4-6weeks time.

When I asked if there is anything else the strata management can do to put in an interim measure to mitigate this water damage on my unit, as we are now in a rain season, he said the same temporary job would still cost thousands and for which he would need the 'owners corporation' to approve. He said a better option would be to wait for the plumbing report that deals with the overall issue at once.

As with regards to the 'owners corporation' board, during the last 2 meetings we attended since becoming owners, none of the Chair, nor the Treasurer or Secretary turned up. My partner and I seriously doubt if there is a proper 'Owners Corporation 'Board overlooking the management of the lot buildings. The strata manager seems to be able to do whatever he wishes, and if it's a difficult issue, we would often hear him bring up 'owners corporation' as an excuse.

Thanks for finishing this length and problematic post. We would really appreciate if someone can share some lights on our questions below:

(1) is it really plumber that we need to fix this roof leaking issue?
(2) Would the plumber report generally take up to 6months to produce? (The strata manager kept on insisting that reports on this large scale would take months to produce and since they are legal documents, they would thereby be very lengthy for tradies to table them....)
(3) if there is any other way we can fast track this lengthy "owners corporation" decision making process?
(4) How can we go about finding out who are the unit owners on the board of 'owners corporation' and liaise directly with them?
(5) Any other suggestions/tips are welcome.

:(:(:(

Id start with consumer affairs in your state, then a good solicitor.
Im no expert but I suggest with water leakage that bad you could invoke some kind of emergency rule and get the work undertaken yourself.

Yes a plumber is the right person but......

Depending on the age of the building, this should come under thge building warranty )if the building is still under warranty and the builder's are around) or the buidling insurance (the Owners Corp wil have the cover).

We've had similar issues before, and it shouldn't need to go thru the committee - this should be a simple claim process. We've simply called the strata manager, and they have arrnaged an inspection by the insurance company, and got the issue fixed.

The Y-man

You can legally obtain the contact details for the other members of the OC

and i am sorry but a report taking 6 months to produce that is just BS! Unless of course you have ommitted that the building you are living in is the Empire State Building then of course perhaps it may take a little longer :cool:

can you try and arrange your own contractor to look at the problem and submitt a report?

My blood pressure went up reading that.

How old is the building?
How many in the complex? Elaborate on the standing pool of water comment - where precisely is the standing pool of water?
What is the nature of the remainder of complaints (ie balcony leakage)?
Is body corporate run by an individual (self managed) or by a licensed company?

6 months is how long it takes up to put up a building, NOT to pick up the phone and call a plumber.

If it were me, I would take immediate action. Catalogue all communications between yourself and the strata manager, including dates etc. If you speak to them on the telephone, use a diary and jot it down. Take photographs of the damage, not only on the roof, but walls/floor (water is anathema to buildings - tiles pop off, plaster comes off, it's nightmarish). Collect statements from other residents at the body corp meetings about non attendance. Anything you can think of.

I think that what is happening is grossly incompetent, and I would be speaking to a solicitor, the department of fair trading, the real estate institute if in the case of a strata company (they're licensed, and have obligations), and raising generally as much hell as possible.

Also depending on the type of roof, it's either a plumber or a roofer.

I really hate scam artists like this. You want something done, and nothing happens for months, but if you're late on your payment to the company, it's debt collectors threats within 7 days. Sickening.

take photos of everything!

Get Busy!
take photos , film the dripping water, (insurers like footage)
Start documenting damage in your home. Get quotes for replacing carpets,plastering and painting.
Notify Your contents insurer of an impending claim.
Read your insurance policy, and check that it is a re-instatement policy.
Get active!
Write, and ring, and when you ring, write down the name of the person you speak to, and what they said.
Keep an exercise book next to the phone:mad:
Try not to get angry on the phone.... :( (I did when something similar happened, it slows down the process.
Dont let the B****** get you down,;)
Cheers,
SeafordSunshine

http://allcarebuilding.com.au/contact.html

Get your strata manager to call them, get them to come out and look at the issue and get them to quote repairs.

We had a roof that no matter how many "roof plumbers" looked at, always leaked. The 3 top floor apartments used to get water in them every downpour, and for over a decade there had been issues with the roof leaking in general.

ACBM (George the owner) came, quoted all the work, was done on time and apart from one re-visit to caulk one leak that survived, the roof has been water tight and has performed without any problems since.

Your strata manager is being useless... organise quotes yourself and then get with the affected top floor owners and demand the work be done. Having buckets in bedrooms is not good enough for 6+ months.

Dear Ocean Architect/Many Others,

Thank you so much for all for your tips and thoughts on my dilemma. I am really appreciated of your time and generous help on this!:):)

Regarding your questions: The building is fairly new, only 7 years of age, but under NSW's relevant regulations (base on my understanding) the building is no longer under builder's warranty. At the moment, they are just 30units in the complex, but mainly made up of owners from non-English speaking background, which I guess is what has contributed to this messy strata management.

On the standing pool of water question - it is directly above one of our bedroom ceilings where there are water marks and molds appearing along the edges of the ceilings.

As for the balcony leakage and the garage basement, we are not too sure. As we have only been generally informed at the Owner's meeting in October last year, and no specific details were given. All we know is that the water leakage is pretty bad in the garage area, and has been leaking in car spaces to the extent that it would eat into the car paint if owners park their cars there. So the strata manager said at the time, that to deal with this problem, he would have to get some plumbing quotes and submission reports before commencing work, and this is the report that I mentioned in the initial post.

On details as to why only 3 plumbers were contacted to date, the strata manager didn't say much at all. What he emphasized with me on the phone instead was the amount of effort it had taken him to contact this 3rd plumber to date, and he is still trying to extract a submission report to table on the next Owner's meeting. As to when is the next Owner's meeting, we have no clue either. According to the manager, he simply said whenever the report is ready, otherwise there is nothing much to discuss about with all other owners.

Coming back to your query of the strata management itself, my understanding is that he is the only guy in this strata service company that the lot owners engaged. We are not sure if it is just a one man company. Part of his office actually shares with a well-known real estate agency.

Details on my roof: it's a flat, concrete tiled roof. So not sure if plumber is sufficient for this job at all.

As for the strata funds at moment, my understanding is that, base on the last quarterly report we received, there is only as little as $200 in the bank with a staggering of $7,000+ outstanding in unpaid levies, and all of them, base on the quarterly rates we have, have been owing for over 12 months. When I actually inquired why as a strata manager did not follow up with these outstanding debts, the reply I got was because he knew the owners of these lots are currently trying to sell them and he believes that as soon as the lots are sold, the $7k+ will be repaid fairly soon. When I asked if there is any other debt collecting agency we can engage to speed up the recovering process, he said that this would incur extra costs and in his view it is not beneficial to the OC and would also require formal approval of the OC.

As I mentioned before, OC of this block even though is officially in existence, I have never seen any of the members in attendance of any of the Owner's meetings, apart from one Secretary I have just identified this afternoon. However, even from talking to the Secretary this evening, she doesn't seem to know the sort of right/capacity she has in directing the strata manager to carry out his duties. She said there was never any sort of regular meeting in place between the board and the strata manager since the strata scheme came into being 12 months ago. It's always her chasing up the manager to fix things in the common area, and worse still, for leakage in her own bathroom, the manager would tell her that there is nothing he can do and she has to obtain approval of the Owner's Board (in vacuum).

Hence, my one other big question at the moment is that,

(1) what other options are there if currently there is no enough fund to cover the repair work?
(2) is the failure of water proofing over the roof claimable from insurance? The strata manager didn't at all mention this option and this is only something I gathered from reading some of the reply to my thread.
(3) What is the right procedure to go for dealing with this type of building repair/maintenance issue? Go to the board or the Strata Manager? Does the board has the capacity to direct the strata manager what to do? As at the moment, it seems that it's the strata manager who tells everyone, including board members, (let it be the secretary or the treasurer) what to do and every single repair/maintenance issue has to be dealt over a great lengthy period of time at the manager's own discretion. It seems to me, there is no proper control over this strata manager we have at the complex.

Sorry again for this long post. Would really appreciate if someone can share some more lights on how to dealing with this strata mess that we are currently in. :confused::confused:>.< Really appreciated of all your time and efforts.

As for the strata funds at moment, my understanding is that, base on the last quarterly report we received, there is only as little as $200 in the bank with a staggering of $7,000+ outstanding in unpaid levies, and all of them, base on the quarterly rates we have, have been owing for over 12 months. When I actually inquired why as a strata manager did not follow up with these outstanding debts, the reply I got was because he knew the owners of these lots are currently trying to sell them and he believes that as soon as the lots are sold, the $7k+ will be repaid fairly soon. When I asked if there is any other debt collecting agency we can engage to speed up the recovering process, he said that this would incur extra costs and in his view it is not beneficial to the OC and would also require formal approval of the OC.

Thats rubbish. Debt recovery is owner invoiced and the costs are recovered from the lot owner on top of the outstanding levies.

Your strata manager is just being a typical path of least resistance/least work possible lazy SOB.

Only having $200 in the bank is appalling for a block of 30 units. Even with 7k in receivables, there is still far too little money for a complex of that side. The budgets have not been set correctly and the levies are too low.

In NSW, it is LAW to have an accurate sinking fund budget to avoid these kinid of issues were a complex is crippled due to lack of funds.

As I mentioned before, OC of this block even though is officially in existence, I have never seen any of the members in attendance of any of the Owner's meetings, apart from one Secretary I have just identified this afternoon. However, even from talking to the Secretary this evening, she doesn't seem to know the sort of right/capacity she has in directing the strata manager to carry out his duties. She said there was never any sort of regular meeting in place between the board and the strata manager since the strata scheme came into being 12 months ago. It's always her chasing up the manager to fix things in the common area, and worse still, for leakage in her own bathroom, the manager would tell her that there is nothing he can do and she has to obtain approval of the Owner's Board (in vacuum).

Again rubbish. Unless specifically limited in ability to spend money at a resolution at a GM, the manager should be able to have maintenance items attended to with approval from the EC.

(1) what other options are there if currently there is no enough fund to cover the repair work?

Special levy. Requires a majority vote at a GM with a quorum attendance. Given nobody seems to be paying their levies, probably wont happen even if struck.

(2) is the failure of water proofing over the roof claimable from insurance? The strata manager didn't at all mention this option and this is only something I gathered from reading some of the reply to my thread.

Generally no. Failure of a membrane is a maintenance item and not an insured item. However repair to the lots due to water penetration is an insured item and can be claimed. Lot owners will need to raise their own claim for non-common property such as re-painting. Plastering, electrical etc is an OC insured item.

(3) What is the right procedure to go for dealing with this type of building repair/maintenance issue? Go to the board or the Strata Manager? Does the board has the capacity to direct the strata manager what to do? As at the moment, it seems that it's the strata manager who tells everyone, including board members, (let it be the secretary or the treasurer) what to do and every single repair/maintenance issue has to be dealt over a great lengthy period of time at the manager's own discretion. It seems to me, there is no proper control over this strata manager we have at the complex.

What it sounds like to me is that you

a) have an executive committee who dont care
b) have a strata manager who doesnt care
c) have lot owners who think levies are optional, have no interest in the running of the complex, and dont care

I can tell you how to easily solve this - sell up and buy in a better run building.

I can tell you how to solve this without selling, but due to options A and C, may be a lot of work and never actually happen.

1) Sack your strata manager. He is obviously incompetent and everything is in the "too hard" basket. He should be recovering levies as a priority. The roof should be fixed. The committee should either exist as an active group, or have the office holder positions delegated back to the manager to be able to run the scheme effectively.

This will require calling a GM (can be a paper vote) to terminate the manager and appoint a new one. I can recommend you an excellent mgmt company who will run your complex like clockwork.

2) Recover the levies. The new manager should take care of this. There are numerous options -debt collection, court proceedings and also bankruptcy court (yes we have taken people there, one lot alone owed $13k).

3) Have a proper admin and sinking fund budget prepared.

4) Have the roof leaks repaired. Special levy the funds at a GM. Enforce payment of special levies via steps 2.

The trouble is, in order to call GM's and do all the above, you need to have a majority vote (>50% agreement) and a quorum of unit entitlements present (assuming all units have the same entitlements, that means that a least 8 lot owners must attend). Since you have trouble getting ANYONE to turn up, you may never obtain a quorum and therefore never pass anything.

You can apply to the NSW state strata commissioner for assistance in resolving the issue if worst comes to worst.

In any case, I would suggest talking to a new manager to get their opinion. As mentioned above, the guys I use are fantastic and get **** done pronto. Happy to share.

I will say from the outset that this stinks to high heaven and you should be on the phone to consumer affairs/department of fair trading practices immediately.

Dear Ocean Architect/Many Others,

Thank you so much for all for your tips and thoughts on my dilemma. I am really appreciated of your time and generous help on this!:):)

Regarding your questions: The building is fairly new, only 7 years of age, but under NSW's relevant regulations (base on my understanding) the building is no longer under builder's warranty. At the moment, they are just 30units in the complex, but mainly made up of owners from non-English speaking background, which I guess is what has contributed to this messy strata management.
Call the building board and find out exactly when the building was passed for a certificate of occupancy. It is my belief (just made some calls to clarify) that the builder is responsible for the building for a period of 7 years from the date of issuance of the certificate of occupancy. If you lodged a complaint 6 months ago (or whatever) about the leakage and it falls within that 7 year period, then despite it taking a while to get there, then you may have grounds to drag the builder back into it.

In addition, I would ascertain as to whether or not any home owners warranty insurance was taken out on the building during construction, because that generally covers structural failure for 15 years (all depends on whether the roof is considered structural, or if a structural failure such as excessive settlement or whatever was the root cause of this problem - and broken tiles after 7 years sounds a little odd to me)

On the standing pool of water question - it is directly above one of our bedroom ceilings where there are water marks and molds appearing along the edges of the ceilings.
Okay. I was just clarifying that, and was a little confused as to whether the water was on top of the roof or within the cavity.

As for the balcony leakage and the garage basement, we are not too sure. As we have only been generally informed at the Owner's meeting in October last year, and no specific details were given. All we know is that the water leakage is pretty bad in the garage area, and has been leaking in car spaces to the extent that it would eat into the car paint if owners park their cars there. So the strata manager said at the time, that to deal with this problem, he would have to get some plumbing quotes and submission reports before commencing work, and this is the report that I mentioned in the initial post.
Okay.

On details as to why only 3 plumbers were contacted to date, the strata manager didn't say much at all. What he emphasized with me on the phone instead was the amount of effort it had taken him to contact this 3rd plumber to date, and he is still trying to extract a submission report to table on the next Owner's meeting. As to when is the next Owner's meeting, we have no clue either. According to the manager, he simply said whenever the report is ready, otherwise there is nothing much to discuss about with all other owners.
You're in Sydney. Population 13 million or whatever. And this guy had trouble getting a plumber.

This whole thing stinks. My "something is going on behind the scenes" alarm is redlining.

Coming back to your query of the strata management itself, my understanding is that he is the only guy in this strata service company that the lot owners engaged. We are not sure if it is just a one man company. Part of his office actually shares with a well-known real estate agency.
Find out specifically. Find out the guys name and call the real estate institute in your state. Find out if he is a licensed body corp manager. Find out whatever you can. This issue has huge implications - if this guy is a licensed body corp manager, the real estate institute will be very useful for you. If he is not a tennant and running body corp, he may be in violation of the Act (not sure in NSW, but in the NT, that would be in breach and potentially criminal).

Details on my roof: it's a flat, concrete tiled roof. So not sure if plumber is sufficient for this job at all.
Me niether, we don't use that stuff much in the NT because we build to cyclonic conditions. Sorry.

$200 in the bank for 30 units with $7000 outstanding. And you pay how much per quarter in strata?

Alarm bells going off bigtime.

Okay.

Depends on the answers to a few of my previous questions. If within 7 years the builder has to fix it. If over 7 years or builder is dead/bankrupt and there is a home owners warranty policy somewhere, insurance will fix it. If strata took out the policy required for them to take out for the structure itself, then that insurance will pay for it. Potentially strata may have to fix it out of their own pockets. Not sure, not enough info.

What do you mean by "waterproofing"? Do you mean the waterproofing membrane/sealant they apply to tiles, or waterproofing the structure itself? (I know you don't know that level of detail, I mean simply what was the strata guy referring to when he said that?)

Any roof leak should be claimable under a decent insurance policy, that should have been taken out by strata (that's one of the things that your money pays for)

Sorry again for this long post. Would really appreciate if someone can share some more lights on how to dealing with this strata mess that we are currently in. :confused::confused:>.< Really appreciated of all your time and efforts.
Depends on the answers to the afforementioned previous questions, but in short, I get the feeling that your strata manager is incompetant, and it is time to escalate by going to higher authorities/RE institute/fair trading

Stuff like this makes me really mad. There's so much money in building/RE/strata and people are still out there ripping other people off. Honestly that's disgusting

Hi DaveMSydney,

Thanks so much for your input. Just wanted to ask you a bit more info on getting a quorum of unit entitlements to call the GM. Where can I find out more information on the unit entitlements that each lot owner have?

Currently, there are 3 buliding blocks within this complex of mine, with 2 other blocks mostly tenanted and the block that I am living in occupied mainly by owners.

I think it might still be a doable thing for me to gather all 12 unit owners in my current block to a GM.

Just wish to confirm that, once I can gather all 12 unit owners to call the GM and have agreement at the meeting >50%, I am able to have a change of new strata management who would look immediately into the repair issues?

Thanks so much Ocean Architect,my partner and I are really appreciating of your lengthy inputs! I will certainly be contacting Office of Fair Trading tmw to find out what are the right processes to go to deal with this jerk >.<"!!!!

Thanks so much Ocean Architect,my partner and I are really appreciating of your lengthy inputs! I will certainly be contacting Office of Fair Trading tmw to find out what are the right processes to go to deal with this jerk >.<"!!!!

Don't worry about it. I unfortunately have a disease called a "sense of fair play" and really don't like seeing people get ripped off. If your business model relies on you stealing from people, change the model, or go out of business imo.

Also if you get more than 50% you can kick the strata guy out on the spot, manage the complex yourself, chase up all monies from previous strata companies including the present one (might get nasty, but with so many of you in the building, the legal fees will be far less daunting to you than to the people you're chasing), and get the job done, which imo will be pretty easy to do in a complex of owner occupiers because of their vested interest in making the complex run smoothly.

Plus if you're motivated, intelligent, capable of doing the job etc, you can actually make a decent income out of managing the complex. Get a copy of all expenditures from the strata manager (it should be in the minutes of all meetings/on all statements) and you'll likely be quite surprised at how much money they're making.

cheerios

(5) Any other suggestions/tips are welcome.

:(:(:(
Maybe not a Plumber,a Roof Tiler would be the best person to take care of the problem also it would pay to check all the elec's below the roof line,if you only purchased the property 6 months ago and it was all new paint the previous title holder would have known about this problem and the water internal damage could be more then you think after the tiles come off..

Or go down the small local hardware that is still owned by Australian Small business people ,and buys 6 tubes of high grade silicon and pump the whole six tubes into the total area where the water is sitting,because depending on the fall ratio the only reason wht that section has deflected
is the below supports are rotten and the water sits and does not run into the box gutters and into the stormwaters,,good luck....

I have this same issue with my unit!! Strata manager took approximately 7 months to get quotes. He found 2 quotes. $52k and $70k which I think it exorbant.

My building is also approximately 7 years old. There are only 12 units though. We are having an extraordinary general meeting next week. I'll see how that goes

I wonder if the building insurance will cover the water damage to my kitchen cupboards, etc :(

Maybe not a Plumber,a Roof Tiler would be the best person to take care of the problem also it would pay to check all the elec's below the roof line,if you only purchased the property 6 months ago and it was all new paint the previous title holder would have known about this problem and the water internal damage could be more then you think after the tiles come off..

You are so right Willair, the unit has had a total make over before the owner put it up for sale, in fact, this entire complex of 30 units has been previously owned by one single developer for the last 7 years, and has just recently been subdivided for individual sale of the units. That's why, there wasn't much on the strata record when we conducted a search prior to purchase....

And yes, what you mentioned about the scale of the water internal damage was something the strata manager responded straight away when I first mentioned about the problem of molds appearing on the ceiling.....I was fairly surprised to hear that as it looked as though he knew what the problem was straight away without actually inspecting it...............

sigh...........

I have this same issue with my unit!! Strata manager took approximately 7 months to get quotes. He found 2 quotes. $52k and $70k which I think it exorbant.

7 Months?????! Was your strata manager very reluctant in addressing the issue and finding quotes from the plumbers for you?

Is 7-month the usual case for waiting time to fix rooftop leakage???:eek::eek::eek:

I was making a whinge with the Strata Manager and my Property manager at least monthly. They keep coming up with the same answer. Waiting on quotes, have to set up general meeting, blah blah blah. Didnt know I can go to Office of Fair Trading, etc.

I'm with Netstrata for Strata manager and Ray White for property manager...they're not exactly small companies.

I think 7 months is a long time. It's ridiculous and there were some really heavy rain as well in the last few months. I'm lucky that my tenant is tolerant.

Hi Guys, a quick update to what is happening now...

I've contacted Fair Trading yesterday, and was advised that it would still be best to resolve the issue internally with the OC, and if not, I can apply directly to them for a mediation with OC.

Anyway, in that regard, I went back contacting the strata manager again. After some 30minutes heated discussion, he finally agrees that at least he would send out a plumber to inspect the leakage, identify the root cause, and the scope of work plus the total costing of work. However, when I asked when will the plumber be coming, he simply said it's impossible for him to advise an appropriate time yesterday afternoon, and asked me to wait at home today to be contacted by the plumber. He said at least someone will be contacting me and advising me a time window by 11 this morning.

Time is now almost 12, there has been word from the plumber whatsoever, and even when I texted the manager to ask him what is happening, there is no reply as well...............................:(:(

In the meantime, when I was trying to get contact details to the Executive Committee, the manager declined to provide their details, citing reason of privacy. He said he could only give out their mailing address instead.! Is this reasonable???? As members of OC, do I NOT have the right to contact the executive committee???

Since the manager said it requires the approval of the executive committee, I was just trying to put the committee on notice of this leakage issue............................In reply, the manager said, the real issue is not with the approval of the committee, but the overall cost which he believes will definitely blow the fund balance...when I asked how much is at the moment in the fund, he just replied not much? When I asked further, how much is not much? he said may be just 2 or 3 grand...........

At the moment, it seems though the issue is going no where at all.........:(:(

Can someone offer some suggestions as to what to do next?

Back