Roof or ceramic roof tiles?

Hi,

We are going to build a two-storey house in Sydney soon. The builder's standard home project inclusions provide ceramic roof tiles.

Now I was told that the metal corrugated tiles (ColorBond) may be better due to the improved energy use? Is that a fact?

Can someone please tell us which one is really advantageous over the other one, in terms of better energy management ie keep the house cool and comfortable?

Thank you.

Trevor

It's up to you and the value you see in each product.
A tin roof looks more modern and should be cheaper but I'm suspecting that it won't be.

Find out what the cost is and what lifetime they have.
I'm a roof tile person.

I'd go for the standard roof but will make sure they put sarking underneath to stop dirt and leaves from going into the roof space.

Thanks. What about the energy saving issues? Are there any marked improvements in the metal roof?

What energy savings?
In terms of solar absorbsion if the roof is light coloured then it will have a higher reflective index so it should get less hot than a tile roof.

That's the theory anyway.
I don't know if this is what you refer to but I don't see this as a significant improvement in energy efficiency over a tile roof.

At least a tile roof does not rust...

At least a tile roof does not rust...

No, but terracotta tiles do "frett" over time. They flake off (defoliate) underneath.

Personally, I'd go the colorbond - I like to hear the rain on the roof and it weighs tonnes (literally) less than tiles.

No, but terracotta tiles do "frett" over time. They flake off (defoliate) underneath.

Personally, I'd go the colorbond - I like to hear the rain on the roof and it weighs tonnes (literally) less than tiles.

I agree,to many tiles shattering in hail storms and cracking when work is done on the roof.
That weight on the roof cant be any good for it.
I literally see houses bend when tiles are placed on them :eek:

Back