Roof repairs or new roof

Hiya

Hope someone out there can help with this.

Just bought a new IP with a granny flat in the Parramatta area, Sydney.

The roof of the granny flat (which is the size of a 1 car garage) is asbestos cement. The building report states:

"...some water penetration from the asbestos cement roof."

We assume there is a leak somewhere.

Option:

1) Remove (plus tow away) the asbestos : quote $880

2) New colourbond roof plus gutter : $3500.

Qn 1: is there a "cheaper" way of repairing the roof ? Any recommendations of roof restoration companies in Sydney?

Qn 2: if we go with the above option, do we need the incur the additional expense of removing the asbestos?

Thanks a zillion!

Jennifer, it depends on the nature of the leak (if there is one). It might be a cracked sheet. (in which case just replace that sheet with a similar profile metal or polycarbonate). It might be a hole punched in it from hail damage. (in which case it can be patched up with some black tar like bog that I have seen used on asbestos rooves). It might be a combination of things or something entirely different.

Why not ask the building inspector who did the report what he is saying?

Qn 1: is there a "cheaper" way of repairing the roof ?
Yes - see above. Why blow 6 months worth of granny flat rent on a roof that will last for more years yet.

Plus if it is not actually leaking, you may be better off tax-wise to rent it out for a 'reasonable' period before doing any replacement (if it comes to that).

Roof

Hiya Propertunity and Battler

Thanks for the replies! Just spoken to building inspector and he did recommend replacing the whole asbestos roof! Ouch!:eek:

Hiya Propertunity and Battler
Thanks for the replies! Just spoken to building inspector and he did recommend replacing the whole asbestos roof! Ouch!:eek:

....and did this same building inspector also produce a quote from his own roofing company to do the job? :rolleyes:

I have an asbestos roof on one of my properties. Property manager told me i needed a new roof after a water leak during rain 3 yrs ago. (est cost $10,000). $4 on a tube of roof silicone fixed it and there hasn't been a leak since.

I'd see how far you can get with silicone before handing over thousands of dollars...

Cheers,

A lot of these asbestos roofs are held down with screws and a lead washer.
With roof bearer timber shrinkage over the years the gap between the washer
and sheet could be very loose and letting in water.

If the screw head is still in good condition it may only need some sealer
and a few turns to secure it watertight again.

Most used a tar base sealer which again shrinks and cracks after a few decades
so some new roof silicon should improve things.

Hiya

Hope someone out there can help with this.

Just bought a new IP with a granny flat in the Parramatta area, Sydney.

The roof of the granny flat (which is the size of a 1 car garage) is asbestos cement. The building report states:

Option:

1) Remove (plus tow away) the asbestos : quote $880

2) New colourbond roof plus gutter : $3500.

Qn 1: is there a "cheaper" way of repairing the roof ? Any recommendations of roof restoration companies in Sydney?

Qn 2: if we go with the above option, do we need the incur the additional expense of removing the asbestos?

Thanks a zillion!
If it is the old super 66 asbestos sheets then it would be best to remove the entire roof span,and replace the entire a new roof adds value to any house depending on the area of the roof plus gutters downpipes,roof insulation,for a small area roof $3500, is a bit on the high side,the removal costs are in the right range ..imho..willair..

I assume the roof is a simple sillion type (single line of roof) and goes into a standard gutter. If this is the case its a bit high priced estimate $2000, however if the roof runs into a box gutter set up (two roof lines to one gutter) then this will cost a bit more but still without seeing it under 3 grand.

If you plan on just a fix up of the asbestos don't get on the roof unless it is VERY dry, no dew, and you wear a good set of sandshoes or you may find you have skates on, and get a unpleasant surpise :eek:
as the edge of the roof gets closer and your eyes turn into dinner plates and you make more moves than a one legged belly dancer trying to grab anything to stop your moment of excitement. :eek:

If you elect to replace the roof ask if they are batten screwing the old battens down before the new roof sheeting goes on.

What are they doing for the $3500 figure? how much sheeting etc

I would get a couple of more quotes at least then you will be more informed.

Brian