Just wondering if anyone has had a roof restoration performed on a house and
what the approximate costs were.

Does anyone know if they use a special kind of paint or just ordinary
exterior type paints??

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Glenn

I've had the roof restoration done on one of my (many :)) properties. I think it cost about 2 or $3,000. They just clean it, replace any broken titles and paint it. But it makes the house look pretty good.

They also usually crap on about giving you a discount if you let them put a sign out the front, but I don't think it makes much difference.

TH

Reply: 1.1

Hi Glen,

as per TH's post, they replace the broken tiles, wash them, replace the valley & re-point it & then they normally re-spray it with a special exterior paint (different to the wall kind of paint, it is thicker), they only re-pain the roof if it is not teracotta (as teracotta normally has a nice shine to it)...

Now in terms of pricing, look in your local papers & get someone smaller in for a quote, as the larger ones do say they will give you a discount if you display their sign, but in most cases you can still get it much cheaper using a smaller company (local) due to their lower overheads (ie. no heavy advertising, run from home saving on rents, etc.)... I have used a local I found in the local paper on one property & if I recall was around the $1200 mark, but that included colourbond valeys (last longer), replaced any weak or broken tiles, pointing was done using some newer mixture that doesn't crack as mortar did, washed them but didn't paint as they were teracotta...

Cheers,

MannyB.

Reply: 1.2

To TH,

Was it necessary to let us know of your many properties. Or better still why dont you tell us exactly how MANY properties you have

Reply: 1.2.1

Has anyone had this performed on a tin roof?

Reply: 1.2.1.1

Anonymous

Is that your real name?

I was only joking when I said that I has many properties. Like the Wife, I refuse to publicly say how many properties I have! I have 8 properties.

And no I have never done it on a tin roof.

Regards

The Husband

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1

I wasn't asking if you have done it on a tin roof, but I wanted to know if you have had a tin roof restored. ;))))

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1

I've had a tin roof restored.

Basically it was rusted surface only across the whole roof with lots of nails missing.

They seal and paint at the same time with a special rust proofing chemical that starves the rust of oxygen.

Cost me $1600 for a avg 3brm house.

No more rust, looks brand new, and all the sheets tacked down again.

To get the roof sheeting replaced would have cost about 8-10,000.
--
Aaron Dwyer
~ To know and not to do, is really not to know at all.

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.1

Aaron thanks for the info, that sounds like the situation I might be in.
The house I have has basically been clad with some sort of tin sheeting designed to look like roof tiles. It has particles glued and painted to make it look like tiles also, very bizarre.
But underneath is standard corrugated tin roof, I can see from underneath that it is in fairly good condition but a bit of rust here and there. Obviously taking the cladding off will have holes where nails used to be.

Do you remember the name and location of the company you dealt with? That sounds very reasonable price compared with what I was thinking, and indeed the price of replacing.
Thanks,
Dan

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.2

Just be careful in summer when doin it on a tin roof…….

Remember to wear plenty of sun screen and do it quickly as the paint dries fast…..

Cheers
watto
Melb Freestyler

Back