Roof Space Stairs?

I am looking at putting in some roof space stairs in one of my properties to give some more storage space.

Has anyone done this before? have you done it yourself or had someone else do it for you?

How much should I budget for this you think?

if you aren't going up there all the time, and there's a convenient manhole, use a ladder and pass stuff through the manhole. I've got a lot of stuff in the roof above the garage.

If you find yourself going up more regularly, then consider a dedicated access ladder.

By 'roof stairs', do you mean the ones that fold down from a hatch when not in use?
I put some in a mate's house years ago. Very much the blind leading the blind. We got it done, but I bet the installation price would have been pretty cheap and we could have gone fishing for the day.
There would be dozens of companies doing these things in every city.

Its a 3.6m ceiling and the manhole is pretty small, so we need to make the man hole a lot bigger, a pretty big ladder, and I think access to it could be monthly.

depreciator, yep I mean the ones that come out from the hatch and fold out, I havent chased up any installers yet, but my brother is a builder so I have a feeling we could probably install it ok ourselves; but in saying that if its only a couple of hours later for someone else to do it I might consider it. - I would prefer to be fishing for the day :p

We have one of these in our house. We have two stories of living, does that mean we have a three storey house?

It has a ladder in two parts, one slides up (or down) the other. Which then goes into the attic. Kinda funky. We also have a laundry shute from bathroom on second floor to laundry on ground floor. The former owners were rather clever.

Anyway, we have some stuff up there, carpet ends and the like. And dust. The previous owners put them in; I suspect there is stuff in there that we dont even know what it is. National Lampoons Christmas Vacation always reminds me its there! I would get them professionally done btw!

I just finished laying the floor in our attick, now for the false ceiling above it.

We used:

http://www.atticladders.com.au/

One thing I found when shopping around, the weight ability of the stairs them selves. These guys have a model which we had fitted which takes my weight plus something heavy in my arms.

It cost $1400 fitted and mess cleaned up, waited 3 weeks, friendly agent bases in Brissy who did the job well, took 4 hours from start to finish tops. Pleased over all.
I suspect a 3.6m ceiling may mean added costs. Not to sure.

For a flooring, I used 19mm Yellow tongue boards. They have a water proofing on one side.

Please just keep in mind weight distribution when looking at this. Also watch out for power, phone, and TV cables etc.

Most newer homes are trussed, so they have a range of stairs which fits neatly in the space given, but also, not all the gaps between the trusses are even! Nor are the trusses parrallel either.
TIP
Measure each board individualy when cutting to size for the flooring up there.

Over all, we gained 24m square of space for our stuff, with another 11m available, got lights and power too.

I did all the work, but not the stairs fitting, easier to get them to do it, Go Finshing as a wise man suggests!

Well worth it.

Question, do you IP types think this could add value? Or even saleability?

Yep, storage adds value - especially in inner city areas where houses are smaller. A skylight in the attic roof is a good idea - makes the space look almost liveable.
Anybody doing this needs to make sure the ceiling timbers will hold the extra weight. In old house, they often won't. I used a ceiling for storage once and laid 10x2 oregon beams beside the existing ceiling timber and the new timber took all the weight.

Back