Roof type - affect on valuation?

I am considering a house in Canberra (for PPoR) which has a 70s-style flat roof, looks like Colorbond or something similar. Piccie attached.

Does anyone know if this would get valued much differently from a house which has a normal shaped tiled roof? Just wondering how much I should take this into consideration when I make an offer.

I plugged this into the NRMA rebuilding cost calculator, and the flat metal roof came out $55k cheaper.... hmmm

I also wonder how it would affect energy efficiency since air can't circulate above the batts.

Attachments

• roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 125
I think thats an optical marg, looks like a large vertical Facia and possibly a near flat tin roof behind it?

I have been told that with rising metal costs that Tin (colourbond) is now more expensive to put up than tiles.

Dave

generally cheaper, only due to the hot summers and cold winters, but in saying that there were heaps of newer style flat homes built within the last 2 years?
the structure could allow you to modernise this home to suit, and bring the flat 70s desighn to the 2006<7 style.

I saw a couple of these flat roof houses in recent years. It seems to me that they are slower to sell and prices are lower. Do not know why. Just my observation.

I had a look at this house 2-3 years ago. It took the vendor a long time to sell it. The house is in Kaleen. Did you have a look at this one? I do not think the big issue is the flat roof.

Oops! Had another look and see what you mean.

Issues for me with flat roofs are lack of access to ceiling space for insulation or electrical work.
Marg

I think you mean "effect" rather than "affect".... :eek:

Whilst something might "affect" a valuation it is the "effect" on valuation you are referring to... :eek:

Sorry, can't help it!

A roof is a roof.

Valuers do not break down the components of a house when valuing a property.

They break it down between land and improvements.

The rate they apply to a house has little to do with the roof. They look at the overall quality and size of the dwelling; they do not say that the dwelling is worth 3% less because the roof is flat metal deck (which it is behind the facade) as opposed to a terracotta tile hip roof or a concrete tile dutch gable roof.

Ask yourself this... if you are looking to buy a house, how much more or less do you offer for the property because of the roof?

That is how the valuer looks at it.

cheers,

RightValue

Back