rotten asbestos soffits

Hi all.

We got an old house build in the 1950's With asbestos soffits that are slowly starting to rot and one sheet has also cracked (see picture). It's only on one side of the house While the rest look like it's still in a fairly god condition.
I am not sure how to approach this issue as I would ideally like to avoid having to pay for asbestos removal and then replacement of the suffit. Have anyone ever tried to fix a similar problem without replacing the suffit.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 20150224_110026.jpg
    20150224_110026.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 312
  • 20150224_110031.jpg
    20150224_110031.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 270
You've got a couple of options. Asbestos sheeting will not be rotting, it is the timber holding it up and in that is rotting.

1. Get a chippie to replace the rotten timbers. The broken sheet can be replaced with villaboard which does not contain asbestos.

2. Bite the bullet and have all the asbestos sheeting removed. I think (??) that there is some kind of tax benefit available (one of the accountants on here could advise on that).

Thanks for your reply that's very helpful. I thought I heard that asbestos don't rot.
It's our ppor so I don't think it would be claimable on tax but maybe I'm wrong.

We might get a chippie out first and hopefully it won't cost us a fortune.
Thanks again

Hi,

To me it looks like you need to check the roof for one or more of the following, 1. failed valley flashing, broken roof tiles, leaf matter blocking the gutter causing water to overflow in to the soffit area. It also looks like there is a timber moulding under the gutter secured to the facia this poses a WHY question to me. You may need to check the facia out as it maybe some rot there.

It will be easier and cheaper to remove the couple of sheets in question including the timber mouldings. You can then ensure the structural timbers are not damaged / rotten this is the same for the facia board.

Once all checked re sheet and replace the mouldings and paint (don't sand the existing sheets before painting). If you feel the need re move all the asbestos soffits sheets. This of course is a much bigger job and lots more $$$$.

Brian

You can remove the asbestos yourself to save money.

If you do this make sure you hose it done as you are doing it so no particles fly around. Make sure you wrap it all up for disposal in thick builders plastic.

Make sure you wear overalls with a hood, a good respirator, gloves and eye protection.

Once it is removed you can get a chippy in to reframe the soffit and replace damaged fascia, then install the new fibro and finish off with beading, scotia or quad, what ever style you like.

If you go ahead with removing the asbestos yourself try and remove it in big pieces rather than breaking into smaller pieces.

You can also just replace the single broken piece of fibro without a problem. It is probably approx a 10min job for a chippy to fix.

You can remove the asbestos yourself to save money.

If you do this make sure you hose it done as you are doing it so no particles fly around. Make sure you wrap it all up for disposal in thick builders plastic.

Make sure you wear overalls with a hood, a good respirator, gloves and eye protection.

Once it is removed you can get a chippy in to reframe the soffit and replace damaged fascia, then install the new fibro and finish off with beading, scotia or quad, what ever style you like.

If you go ahead with removing the asbestos yourself try and remove it in big pieces rather than breaking into smaller pieces.

I'm with Brian. Remove it yourself so you can see what's there plus so no one tries to rip you off once the magical word"asbestos" comes up. You can remove it yourself just follow precautions
http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/asbestos/manage/removal.htm
You're dealing with bonded asbestos and less than 10m2 so it's low risk

Hi all.

We got an old house build in the 1950's With asbestos soffits that are slowly starting to rot and one sheet has also cracked (see picture). It's only on one side of the house While the rest look like it's still in a fairly god condition.
I am not sure how to approach this issue as I would ideally like to avoid having to pay for asbestos removal and then replacement of the suffit. Have anyone ever tried to fix a similar problem without replacing the suffit.

Thanks for your help.

Depending on what the roof is made of-tiles or the old super66 asbestos sheets,the problem will be in the roof for the sheets to go that way,it also may well be termites,that have eaten all the timber frame away,a very easy way is pull a roof section off above the damaged area and see what's caused the problem..imho..

Back