Rotting Facia Boards - Advice Needed

Have recently purchased a home which was built in 81'. Eave panels are all asbestos and fascia boards are cedar. Due to the previous owner not maintaining property there are 2 corners where the gutters have been leaking which has rotted out the corner fascia panels. I have tried to silicone the inside of guttering corners to stop water penetrating through although this has not helped and fascia is again waterlogged.

Due to tight budget I am unable to spend large amounts for removal of asbestos eaves, replace timber fascia, new gutters etc.

I am thinking of covering fascia with colourbond and having gutters repaired (no rust internally). Is this a bad idea if fascia is already rotting? Is there an option to dry rot out to stop it spreading and cover with colourbond?

Keen to hear options from anyone who has dealt with similar issues.

Thanks in advance.

We had this a few months ago when we reguttered. Hubby just cut out the rotten corner and replaced it. If you are handy, you could do this, or get in a builder or handyman. It should not cost much. It took hubby an hour to do.

If you look closely at this corner, you can see where he has patched the last six inches or so and it has been undercoated.

We had this a few months ago when we reguttered. Hubby just cut out the rotten corner and replaced it. If you are handy, you could do this, or get in a builder or handyman. It should not cost much. It took hubby an hour to do.

If you look closely at this corner, you can see where he has patched the last six inches or so and it has been undercoated.

Thanks Wylie,

Looks good! I am confident in being able to remove section and replace but to do so I will have to remove the guttering which I was planning to leave. I will contact a roofing contractor to see if I could possibly just replace the front section of guttering where the fascia is rotting and return back into old guttering down the side.

How did your husband join the new fascia to the old in that corner? I am unsure if there is a rafter there to nail into and support new section.. I also may have to be careful as the eaves are asbestos.. :mad:

Thanks Wylie,

Looks good! I am confident in being able to remove section and replace but to do so I will have to remove the guttering which I was planning to leave. I will contact a roofing contractor to see if I could possibly just replace the front section of guttering where the fascia is rotting and return back into old guttering down the side.

How did your husband join the new fascia to the old in that corner? I am unsure if there is a rafter there to nail into and support new section.. I also may have to be careful as the eaves are asbestos.. :mad:

Could you cut the gutter and splice it back in or get a new corner piece made up?

I'm not sure what he nailed into, but guessing he would have cut where there was something behind to attach to.

Our eaves are asbestos too. He didn't have to touch them though.

I just pulled Colourbond panel off my house because it had made the facia behind it rot. IMHO it's not a good idea, it's making a water trap behind where the moisture can sit and eat away at the timber at its own leisurely pace.

Pulling the guttering off and replacing the facia board was time consuming but neither hard nor complicated.

For a quick fix you can buy a square corner section in colorbond to go over the
fascia corner , but you really need to undo the gutter join first , clean all the
old silastic and muck and reseal , this may require drilling out pop rivets and
installing new.
Its the colorbond joins with silastic that age and fail then leak causing all the rot.
Make sure all your downpipes are clean and free and working so your not getting
overflow from the gutters back onto the fascia .

You can buy a zinc repair section at the green shed that slips over the fascia and gets painted out to match.

Tools

Back