Rough Costs for 3 Townhouse Development

Thanks Jac, that's a great help, appreciate it .)

Might have to start doing my research.

Cheers!

No Probs mate.

I reckon one of these larger companies would be the way to go. Maybe the quality of the build might be a little lower, but this type of prefab. housing seems to be much cheaper - and for a IP it would suffice.

Daniel, depends on the council zone and what their Development Plan allows. It can vary quite a bit between different areas. Have a look at the Development Plan for the council zone you are looking at and go from there.

If you're lazy, just post the suburb on here and I guess someone will do your footwork for you.

Gools

Hi Gools, Player

I'm looking in Oakleigh, Under Monash Council. I once read on an old thread that the minimum subdivision lot size there was 250sqm. That's why I thought about the potential of subdivision, and looking at some really old houses within 7-10 mins walk to the train station and Centro Oakleigh shopping centre.

Not in a position to buy yet, but thought I start doing some research before taking it to the next step of speaking with the Council's town planner about subdivision requirements.

A 3 Br townhouse could fit into a 250sqm lot, although it would be a little tight.

Regards

Daniel Lee

Generally speaking (and there are certainly exceptions) the rule of thumb in Melbourne's suburbs is 1:300m2 density. The larger the allotment, the greater the density - also speaking generally!

That's interesting.

My allotmant is 696sqm which there are a lot of these in the older areas of Brimbank like St Albans, Sunshine, Ardeer etc and many a times they've managed to get 3 x 3bed double story townhouses on them, so that's what I'm hoping to do.

I wonder what Brimbanks rules are regarding this, if its documented anywhere.

Some of the issues that affect density requirements are the proximity to transport and shops, the proximity to "activity centres" and the distance from the CBD.

Brimbank's rules will be available from their town planning department, or you may wish to check their web-site.

Littletee, have a navigate of this:

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/planningschemes/brimbank/home.html

That is the planning scheme for Brimbank.

I was under the impression that you had approval already for three. Ideally 900 sqm or greater would be the go, however depending on the council you can go denser. You also have to be mindful of what footprint they will allow you to place on the site, open space, shadowing, orientation, privacy etc, etc.

Hume council for example is pro-development and three would get on that site however not three at 3 BR each. Probably One 3 BR and two 2 BR's or some slight variation.

As Christian mentions and I also outlined in an earlier post, it depends upon where your site is and what council would like to see there. The closer to a transport or shopping/services hub it is the more likely you can go denser than they would normally encourage.

Make an appointment with the council town planner and have a list of questions at the ready, before you engage private consultants that you will pay for.

Have a look at the site on the link above.

Back