Rowville or Dandenong North

Currently rent in Mulgrave, want to be first home owner..

Tossing up between these two.

My choices are either save $100k and grab a bargain in a "Good" part of Dandenong North which is a bigger house with nice huge garage that Im after. Im local around here so can pick the good parts of this suburb that normally has a bad name.

Or

Spend 50k to 100k more and get a place in Rowville, may or maynot have a garage can probably put one up myself..

Aim - First property as a stepping stone near my old folks place in Mulgrave, so appreciation is important..

Appreciation is what makes me hesitant of Dandenong North, but at the same time buying a first home in dandenong north is pretty easy compared to rowville appreciation would do better than my bank account I believe but Rowville I feel more easy for the prices to go silly in future since its not really attacted to stigma of bad suburbs..

Is my logic valid?

Buy somewhere where you can see yourself living. If you think Rowville has the better reputation, then buy there if you can afford it.

Don't confuse 'value' with 'price'. Two different concepts

When I say value, maybe 1 additional room and large 3 garage already in place..

I definitely know price isnt value itself, more about type of property, ppl around you future potential growth..

With the Dandenong North one, floor plan fits me, its a cheap start to get moving.. but when checking the boxes I keep on getting stuck at appreciation..

the little voice in my head says rowville should appreciate more, but in the price range Im looking at I have to wait for something suitable to come onto the market..

maybe Im starting to become impatient..

Have you thought about the council issues/costs, from memory rowville is under knox council, which had a huge uproar over rate jumps a few times over the past decade.
If your not looking at living it in long term, I'd personally opt for a large block with it all in dandenong north over a small house and block in rowville.

Have you thought about the council issues/costs, from memory rowville is under knox council, which had a huge uproar over rate jumps a few times over the past decade.
If your not looking at living it in long term, I'd personally opt for a large block with it all in dandenong north over a small house and block in rowville.

Yes council rates are cheaper in Dandy North.

The house in Dandy North would be a tiny bit more roomy, but for 50k to 80k more can definitely find a large block land in rowville, but it either doesnt come with a garage or further away from public transport.. or its a odd floor plan

I would be looking to living in for 5 years at least min.. hmmm

I guess Im focussing too much on future appreciation instead of a property thats suitable inside.

Actually rates are double in Rowville. :eek:

Wondering if its better to save $50k to $100 more in Dandy North, or wait for something suitable in Rowville. Friends say look where appreciation is more higher... hmm

Seriously, if you told me you live in Dandenong (north or otherwise) most people would think wtf? At least Rowville has a bit more name to it

Seriously, if you told me you live in Dandenong (north or otherwise) most people would think wtf? At least Rowville has a bit more name to it

Yeah the WTF factor.. I was thinking that too.. Since I've only ever lived in Mulgrave for my whole life boarding Dandenong North I know the area quite good.

Actually it takes local experience to recommend a very small pocket of Dandy North which is actually quite pleasent (too pricey for typical Dandy North ppl) and better than Rowville in terms of price with a regular bus that actually passes in the middle of the estate easy to get too.

The property Im looking at is bordering the nice part of Dandy North, if you travel closer to Dandenong then it starts going down hill.

Well if it falls in Dandenong North then it's still Dandenong North....the postcode is the important factor here

True, thats what probably has brought on my hesitation. Knowing thats its commonly not desirable suburb when compared to Rowville.

Maybe Im afraid of not getting into a property fast enough. Probably getting tired of looking so much and not achieving high enough perhaps.

It can seem like the looking takes forever, but better to take your time & find one that does tick all your boxes.

I'd go for Rowville over Dandy, purely b/c Dandy is so far out, has a worse name & I didn't feel particularly safe when I had to go to Dandy main shopping centre.

It can seem like the looking takes forever, but better to take your time & find one that does tick all your boxes.

I'd go for Rowville over Dandy, purely b/c Dandy is so far out, has a worse name & I didn't feel particularly safe when I had to go to Dandy main shopping centre.

Yes Dandy central is pretty crappy I agree.. Some parts of the North doesnt really feel like true Dandenong and is more acceptable for PPOR. North Dandenong Im looking at is within short walk of 2 kind of 3 bus routes..

Rowville being nicer yes but I find it a tiny bit more inconvenient if your not located near stud rd (main road) for public transport..

Actually, Dandy North and Rowville are neck and neck in terms of direct distance to Melb GPO.

The Y-man

Ok, just checked on whereis.com for road trips for those without helicopters:

Melb GPO to Dandy North (Monash/E-Link interchange) 35km
Melb GPO to Rowville (cnr Wellin gton and Stud rd) 33.6 km

The Y-man

Ok, just checked on whereis.com for road trips for those without helicopters:

Melb GPO to Dandy North (Monash/E-Link interchange) 35km
Melb GPO to Rowville (cnr Wellin gton and Stud rd) 33.6 km

The Y-man

Yeah basically both suburbs are equal in terms of distance since they are next door to each other..

Main difference is Rowville has the freeway running besides it ( city side) and Dandenong North has a free running through it since actually Dandenong North is more smack bang direct on freeway..

Visited both dandy north and rowville just now..

Main Pros/Conns

Dandy North
Pros- Quiet part, actually quite pleasent. neighbors neat and tidy.
- Within 10 mins walking distance of 2 bus routes and 15 mins walk to 1 bus route.
- Regratification of area.. ie, A few houses rendered with dare I say BMW at the front, 2 other houses pulled down making way for newer "point cook" style houses.
Quality of property a bit low, can properly offer lower price.

Conns - Ethenic mix. `A few islander kids, saw about 2 Somalian ppl. Not being racists but wonder if that would equal future trouble when kids grow up.
- Older house. ie Ceiling sagging in one part, 5 short run fine cracks in walls/ceilings, needs renovation help. Not sure if $20k is enough for reno budget or not? Any help would be great.
- Stigma attached to area

Rowville
Pros - Dont have to worry about reputation of area.
- Newer houses, slightly less work needs to be done to property

Conns
- $50 to $100k more for entry level property.
- Only small % covered by bus. Property I saw just kept on driving driving to central Rowville and the bus route that services that area is not a direct route to my journey to city need to do some bus hopping.

Think it pretty much boils down to public transport vs newer house and being more car dependant..

Of course Im the type of person that keeps on thinking 'what if' and mind keeps on going back and forward..

Back