Rubbish at Settlement!

Hi Everyone!

Seeking your advice on this one. We recently settled on our first IP.

The vendors have left us with a lot of rubbish to remove from the property garage-broken furniture and rotting mattresses etc etc.

We pointed it out to our conveyancer who settled anyway or we would incur penalty interest.

The rubbish removal is costing us time, money and vacancy. Not to mention the disappointment.

Were do we go from here? What are our options at this stage?

Thankx.

could you send a letter of demand through your solicitor? i am not a leagel eagle, but your solicitor, should advise on a phone call.

We had the same problem - we used it as an opportunity to have a huge garden clean up too before the tenants moved in.

Dont sweat the little things - they arent worth the grief - just clean up your new purchase to your standard & get some tenants in there!

Cheers
Stella

We pointed it out to our conveyancer who settled anyway or we would incur penalty interest.

A good conveyancing lawyer would have adjusted settlement for the cost of rubbish removal.

We have had things adjusted in the past such as repair costs for broken oven dorrs etc.

Cheers,
The Y-man

Move all the junk to the front verge. Get the house cleaned and ready for rent asap.

Leave the junk on the verge for 3-4 days and up to 50% of it might dissappear courtesy of the local scavengers (at least that was my experience).

Then either hire a trailer, a skip or just pay for the removal.

Don't let a small issue like this sour your experience.

I thought most people put a condition on the contract
*waves* hi, I'm most people! Although they did leave a little bit behind, they got most of it.

Seriously, didn't you see all the junk before you put an offer in? I can't imagine they filled the house with crap between offer and settlement. And its not like messy vendors will make the house clean before settlement if it was messy before it went on the market.

Yep!

Sorry but you missed the boat there. When we purchased a home a few years back, we asked the conveyancer to add a clause, stating that if all rubbish was not removed from the property prior to settlement, that $2500 would be withheld at settlement. ( not paid ) hey presto, rubbish removed.

You have my sympathy, but consider it an expensive lesson learned. It's not a mistake ( read inadvertent error ) that you will make again.

Rent a skip, and whistle while you work. Congratulations on your purchase!

Regards Jodie

Thanks for your useful insights. Looking back its been a great learning curve. we have been reading the postings and the interviews on the forum for a while. And that has helped heaps.

Moving on, is it worth while to chase the vendors to the VCAT.

Cheers!

This happened to the people across the road - read 'my lovely neighbours' thread. The purchaser contacted the real estate agent and they organised a big skip within the hour. Put the pressure back on them!

Practice for future

Don't take this too seriously. but if you get a bad property manager and a bad tenant you could be doing this a number of times in your property career. Don't give up . Just look at the BIG future picture.

Good Luck

Gee Cee

Greg

Apparently they (the vendor, ie the bank who repossessed it) removed 12 truckloads of rubbish from my IP before it went on the market. Twelve!!!!! Glad I didn't have to do it!

Back