Rubbish found in soil and footing work

Today, the builder engineering guys came to the site and told me that there's lots of rubbish, pieces of concretes, etc found when they digging down the soil and said there might be additional cost for that. Did anyone have these happened before while builder is doing footing and slab work? Is this a big issue?

If your property is on fill it could be possible that there will be further work required before it can be built on. Was a soil report done before commencement?

Tools

as Tools said, get a geotechnical report done, because the footings need to be designed to hold up the structure according to the properties of the soil. Your extra costs will be for the report itself (few hundred), and then perhaps a little more digging/concrete/steel for the footings depending on how your engineer adapts to the info in the report.

as Tools said, get a geotechnical report done, because the footings need to be designed to hold up the structure according to the properties of the soil. Your extra costs will be for the report itself (few hundred), and then perhaps a little more digging/concrete/steel for the footings depending on how your engineer adapts to the info in the report.

I remember when we had soil report done, they said the soil was bad so they had to increase the footing level or smth like that. On the contract it has:

• External beams up to 450mm deep x 300mm wide with 6 x N12 steel reinforcing rods
  • Internal beams up to 450mm deep x 250mm wide with 4 x N12 steel reinforcing rods
  • Use of single concrete pump if required for main single level slab pour only.
  • 100mm thick 20MPA reinforced concrete slab with 1x layer of SL72 steel mesh.

Mind you, i dont even fully understand what they mean. Erm, but i did know they increased a couple thousand on to the provisional sum allowance for footings and site works variations... I hope it won't be a lot.

Our soil was only one or two grades worse then that covered by our contract, it ended up costing us an extra $8.5K.

Our soil was only one or two grades worse then that covered by our contract, it ended up costing us an extra $8.5K.

you have been taken RR ther is A class site ie rocm ,M class moderate , and gee i can't remember , any way its soft site anrequires piers , in the footings if they charged you this you have been robed .

I remember when we had soil report done, they said the soil was bad so they had to increase the footing level or smth like that. On the contract it has:

• External beams up to 450mm deep x 300mm wide with 6 x N12 steel reinforcing rods
  • Internal beams up to 450mm deep x 250mm wide with 4 x N12 steel reinforcing rods
  • Use of single concrete pump if required for main single level slab pour only.
  • 100mm thick 20MPA reinforced concrete slab with 1x layer of SL72 steel mesh.

Mind you, i dont even fully understand what they mean. Erm, but i did know they increased a couple thousand on to the provisional sum allowance for footings and site works variations... I hope it won't be a lot.
these numbers seem normal for a "m" class site , in canberra a typical "M' class site would be 400mm x 500mm 3 bar tm 11 , if it was dbl brick it would be 4 bar tm 11.
For those interested it means 400mm wide footing, and 500mm deep using 3 bar trench mesh that is 11mm in diamater top and bottom means the trench sheet is both top and botom and the spreader size determins the depth and hence the strength of the beam.

Back