Rudd vAbbott

What the writer fails to do here is actually name a better democracy. Yeah, there are all sorts of things that are not right or less than ideal about our system of government - but name for me, if you will, a system you actually consider better than ours and that you would - no questions asked and with NO alterations - replace with ours.

Also... labeling something as "less than perfect" doesn't mean it isn't world's best. It just means that it is "less than perfect". Economists call this the Nirvana Fallacy -> the tendency to judge anything that is not perfect as somehow inferior. Our system of government can still be world's best and "less than perfect" at the same time. The two are not mutually exclusive.[/I]

I didn't write the article but I would take the system of government in most European countries over that of Australia without hesitation. Reasons being:

1) Diversity of viewpoints - not just "the lesser of two evils" system that exists in Australia (and similar countries like the US).

2) Local governance - This is where even the US trumps Australia. Over here, most significant areas of policy are centralised at the federal level - there is very limited accomodation for local preferences and conditions. In countries where this is not the case, local governments can have their own policies in areas such as welfare, education, urban planning, infrastructure, etc. Someone living in a farm in Alabama, to use an extreme example, doesn't get to dictate how much welfare a single mum in New York City receives. This is the same pretty much all over Europe. Not so in Australia.

3) A politically engaged and involved population. This isn't about the political system directly but has an (obviously) massive impact on it. The population here is largely politically apathetic and much more accepting of mediocrity. Europeans will let you know if they're not happy with something.

Crikey, :eek:

They had voter polls in Antony Green's website.

Daft fools kept on saying in their polls the parliament was going to be only a 2 or 3 seat majority to the LNP.

I think the most telling mandate is that Labor has gone from 83 to 56 seats in two elections and the LNP from 65 to 89 whilst the Greens proportion has gone down.

Don't worry - a double dissolution should fix that. Bring it on.

From memory, it's actually easier for minor parties to win Senate seats in a double dissolution election, as they only need half of the normal quota. (Because all senate seat are up for grabs, not half)

I doubt we will see a double dissolution election. The people don't like governments going to the polls early.

From memory, it's actually easier for minor parties to win Senate seats in a double dissolution election, as they only need half of the normal quota. (Because all senate seat are up for grabs, not half)

I doubt we will see a double dissolution election. The people don't like governments going to the polls early.

Agreed. If there is going to be a DD (I highly doubt it) I just hope they reform the Senate voting system first. Can you imagine the size of the ballot paper otherwise, with twice the number of seats on offer? The preference flow possibilities would do my head in...

Agreed. If there is going to be a DD (I highly doubt it) I just hope they reform the Senate voting system first. Can you imagine the size of the ballot paper otherwise, with twice the number of seats on offer? The preference flow possibilities would do my head in...
At least the system is a little better than before. At one stage, there was no "above the line" option. All numbers had to be entered.

But I don't like the inflexibility of only "Enter a number 1 above the line and nothing else" or "Enter all numbers 1 to 100".

At minimum, allow an option of putting your own preferences above the line.

But apart from the voting system, next election is like to be worse given the number of minority interest parties who have had some success. We have a motoring interest party senator who admits he doesn't have a clue as to what sort of policies he supports which don't have anything to do with motoring.

We'll see. If Abbott fails to pass the carbon tax repeal legislation and has to do a DD (as promised), then backflips (aka a Rudd on ETS), then he will forfeit all his political capital.

And it is hardly the sign of stability that the economy needs.

I am a bit disappointed by Nick Xenophon's commitment to propping up the car industry in SA. I get that it's a big employer for them but what about retraining those workers to make something else - like say. trains or trams instead? That would be a massive boost to our economy and could further improve public transport infrastructure at the same time.

I am a bit disappointed by Nick Xenophon's commitment to propping up the car industry in SA. I get that it's a big employer for them but what about retraining those workers to make something else - like say. trains or trams instead? That would be a massive boost to our economy and could further improve public transport infrastructure at the same time.

And who would fund the building of trams and trains?

We have a motoring interest party senator who admits he doesn't have a clue as to what sort of policies he supports which don't have anything to do with motoring.

Yep, he's a regular guy. The bogan type who wants to keep four wheel drive access tracks open to the public. Married man with five kids. Recently became unemployed when the saw mill he managed closed down. Could be a breath of fresh air having, a bogan in the Senate.

And who would fund the building of trams and trains?

The difference is that these companies are generally pretty profitable - car manufacturers, especially in terms of the cars they make in Australia, are not. There would need to be an initial investment made but it would be nowhere near the ongoing long-term handouts that have been given to Ford and friends which are really just delaying the inevitable

Basket weaving anyone?

Cimbom

I get that it's a big employer for them but what about retraining those workers to make something else - like say. trains or trams instead? That would be a massive boost to our economy and could further improve public transport infrastructure at the same time.

Nice sentiment, however:

Putting more vehicles into a heavy or light rail infrastructure system (headway constraints) is in exactly the same terms as putting more cars onto a road.......and we all know how well that works.

Seems the left is just right into the sour grapes at the moment. Time to move on and get with the program......:D

ciao

Nor

If Labor was re-elected, I would have suggested transitioning Holdens into a boat building factory for Indonesian fishermen. ;)

Boom industry I hear!

We've already have train builders in Australia. Like Downer EDI. They also needed government assistance to overcome financial problems.
http://www.afr.com/p/australia2-0/nsw_on_track_to_profit_from_reliance_q6ziBXvMr2XwnHA3dEpnJN

As if we need another train builder bidding for contracts.

Last edited:
Yep, he's a regular guy. The bogan type who wants to keep four wheel drive access tracks open to the public. Married man with five kids. Recently became unemployed when the saw mill he managed closed down. Could be a breath of fresh air having, a bogan in the Senate.

To be outboganed in the Senate in the near future by this guy... :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Howes

This is one of the reasons why the Labor Party is alienating the average, non manufacturing, inspirational working class Labor person.

Interesting, today i listened to a lot of radio driving to SYD. Every comment was: father of five kids and employed. Implying, by choice, and hence lazy and feckless father.

Always spin.

I dont agree he should get over someone with a lot of other 1st Pref Votes but I want to see the new system first.

Peter

Back