Rudd vAbbott

I was hoping for 100 seats for Libs. Surprised by Palmer but I suspect it will be short lived - come 2016 he will probably be gone.

10 Senate seats for the Greens atm :)

Looks like their may be 8 minor party reps also. Things could change of course as one minor change has a flow on effect.
Australian Motor Enthusiasts.
Australian Sports party
Two Palmers
Liberal Democrats
Nick Xenophon
Democratic Labor Party
Family First

So the Greens lose their influence come July

Looks like their may be 8 minor party reps also. Things could change of course as one minor change has a flow on effect.
Australian Motor Enthusiasts.
Australian Sports party
Two Palmers
Liberal Democrats
Nick Xenophon
Democratic Labor Party
Family First

So the Greens lose their influence come July
Potentially, it could be worse than a hung parliament, if nothing can get through the senate :S

Potentially, it could be worse than a hung parliament, if nothing can get through the senate :S

Xenephon is a reasonable man. I imagine the motoring party would be anti Green, so it may not be that bad. I'm not sure how PUP will lean, probably conservative.

I'm not sure if the current tally on the ABC website is accurate? It's showing 25 for Labor plus 10 for Greens meaning they need one more to get over the line?

I'm not sure if the current tally on the ABC website is accurate? It's showing 25 for Labor plus 10 for Greens meaning they need one more to get over the line?

No it will take a while until candidates are eliminated, their preferences distributed and the final numbers are revealed.
The minor candidates can do deals amongst themselves to put the Greens, Labor and Coalition last on their how to vote cards to assist the other minor candidates.
However I think the new government will be doing a lot of negotiating with the diverse range of non-aligned senators.

However I think the new government will be doing a lot of negotiating with the diverse range of non-aligned senators.

Does anyone know how many of these "other" parties support removing the carbon tax? I haven't been keeping up to date... Although no doubt they will want to take some skin off the govt on their own pet issues to let it pass.

Otherwise it's back for a double dissolution in short order and that could get unpredictable...

Does anyone know how many of these "other" parties support removing the carbon tax? I haven't been keeping up to date... Although no doubt they will want to take some skin off the govt on their own pet issues to let it pass.

Otherwise it's back for a double dissolution in short order and that could get unpredictable...

Well it looks like the Liberal Democrats and Recreational vehicle party have something in common as regards to access to national parks.

Anyhow some info on the Liberal Democrats who many people voted for accidentally due to their position on the voting slip and their name.

Mr Leyonhjelm plans to form a "loose but powerful" coalition with other fringe parties who performed well, which may include the Australian Sports Labor Party, Motor Enthusiasts Party and one of two likely Palmer United senators including former rugby league great Glenn Lazarus.

"It looks like there will be a small political party senator for each state, so control of the Senate will very likely be in the hands of these parties," he said.

"We are very strong supporters of these parties and we will work together to bring democracy to the Senate."

He said Tony Abbott faces challenges to some of his landmark policies.

"We wouldn't stop him from getting rid of the carbon tax," he said.

"But when it comes to his big spending plans he may be in trouble, such as direct action on climate change and his paid parental leave - he won't be getting any support from us.

"We would much rather have tax cuts."

Mr Leyonhjelm described his party as libertarian and said it advocated less government control, assisted suicide, a flat 20 per cent income tax rate and giving people right to carry concealed weapons for their personal safety

http://www.news.com.au/national-new...ke/story-fnho52ip-1226714717569#ixzz2eHcFynjV

I think it's hilarious that the carbox tax is viewed as some "loony leftie" idea when Milton Friedman was one of this first people to propose it. He is so far right economically as to almost fall off the charts :p

I think it's hilarious that the carbox tax is viewed as some "loony leftie" idea when Milton Friedman was one of this first people to propose it. He is so far right economically as to almost fall off the charts :p

Shut up with your bothersome facts and just learn to ride with the mob.

Even Tony Abbott himself suggested it as a good idea back in the day. But I wouldn't worry about it - there are many ways to achieve the same objective and Australia's emissions are reducing nicely as we speak despite our economy which keeps growing at the same time - none of that will stop just because the carbon tax has been removed. Despite all the predictions that it couldn't be done...

To take just one example, now more than a million homes across Australia have solar panels on their roof. This was achieved over less than five years - less time than it takes to develop a coal power station. This number keeps growing despite the removal of subsidies. And it will continue to do so. The energy performance of new buildings is now light years in front of the old stock. None of this will stop... maybe just slow down a bit... people are and will continue to make their own difference - be the change you want to see in the world and all that. The price of energy storage will continue to drop and people will start disconnecting from the grid as network charges continue to rise.

The politicians can go play with themselves as much as they like - govts are making themselves more powerless in every passing year - meanwhile out here in the real world the changes are unstoppable. Technical progress trumps political progress - we just needed a bit of a political bump to get things going in terms of economies of scale but now things are well past that point for rooftop PV as an example. So this just means we get to export our gas and coal to countries who don't have our renewable energy and energy efficiency options instead of burning it ourselves. It's a win / win from my POV - life goes on...

So glad Rudd is gone.

Thanks to him wasting some 60bn on NBN this country has gone from a rich cashed up nation to one struggling to repay debt. In some countries such economic mismanagement would earn you capital punishment.

Back