Ryde Granny Flat Seminar

I went to the seminar run by Ryde Council about granny flats under the Afordable House SEPP. I thought I'd share a few things I thought were interesting. Some is applicable to Ryde but some would apply to any council in NSW.

-Approval is now 20 days not 10 days (not really a big deal).
-Can't do if the block is already dual occupancy
-Floorspace ratio is 0.5 to 1
-S149 certificate is useful in determining whether you can do a granny or not. Also a good article here on this: http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/section-149-certificate-sepp-compliance

-If you have problems getting drainage through a neighbor's property then you may be able to use "on-site absorption" which requires 35-40% of the land.
-S94 fee is currently $6700
-Need BASIX compliance if over $50K
-If you need to do a local development approval then council has some scope to vary requirements based on merit.

Hope this is helpful.

passive solar design
water and energy efficiency
da process for sustainable building

the seminar is on tonight at 18:30 - 20:00

ryde.nsw.gov.au

Interesting that Ryde Council is running seminars again. I'd imagine it's because they are getting lots and lots of over-the-counter inquiries and want to save time.

As nek noted, the NSW SEPP rules (Affordable Rental Housing SEPP) are not negotiable but if you're willing to fork out the extra dollars and risk a DA, it's another avenue. I say "risk it" because a DA is not guaranteed, whilst SEPP Approval is absolutely guaranteed. All you need to do is meet the numerical controls as set out in the SEPP.

First thing to check is the Contract (specifically the Section-149 Certificate), to see if the property is SEPP Compliant. This generally means:
1. Not high-risk flooding or in an 'Overland Flow-Path'
2. Not is a High-Risk Bush-Fire Zone (BAL-40 or BAL-FZ)
3. Not in a Heritage or Conservation Area.

If it is in one of those 3 areas, a DA is your only path. I always recommend a 'Pre-DA Meeting' for these situations.

A Pre-DA Meeting is a wonderful way to spend minimal money and get Council's support early on in the journey. All you'll need is:
1. A basic Site Plan showing the desired footprint of the Granny Flat. Better to show levels (fall of land) because it will show Council you have considered Drainage...
2. A basic Drainage Plan (as noted)
3. A basic (generic) Floor Plan.

I regularly organise these meetings (I attend with my clients) and it's a worthwhile step when there are 'issues'.

Brazen.

Back