SA..Significant and Regulated Trees..Also why Not to buy sight unseen

Had been on the lookout for a semi detached home as an investment. It is to be rented by my ageing and slightly invalid older brother. The property had to be close to the Hospital at Elizabeth Vale, close to shops and near a bus route.

Saw this property advertised -

36BurcombestA.jpg

It is in a perfect location for his needs. Problem was - the above photo is very misleading. It really looks like this -

014-2.jpg

006-4.jpg

011-4.jpg

Pondered for several weeks over the tree. Did we really want to get involved with battling the council over removal of the tree? In the end we bit the bullet and bought the property.

Conducted some research and came across the new tree laws for South Australia. Here is some information -

http://sa.gov.au/subject/Housing,+p...ificant+trees/Regulated+and+significant+trees

Trees now fall into different categories
1) Significant trees - A tree with a trunk circumference over 3.0 metres measured one metre above the natural ground

2) Regulated trees - A tree with a trunk cirumference over 2.0 metres measured one metre above the natural ground.

Accurately measured the trunk as described above and found it is 2960mm in circumference, which makes it a Regulated tree. Under the new laws we should be able to have it cut down.

There is some confusion about it all. On the news reports, it was mentioned that Regulated trees do not require council permission to have them cut down. I believe they are wrong and council approval is required. Will ring council and check today.
Tree huggers are up in arms about all these trees being cut down. They do not give a hoot about them being dangerous to people or property. There is a consultation process underway at the moment between the government and interested parties. This ends mid February and then the laws may be amended again. In SA, the vocal minority normally wins out, so just hope we can have the tree cut down before the tree huggers get their way.

Anybody had any experience with the new laws?

Living under a gum has its challenges (dropped branches, dropped gumnuts and leaves) which does require ongoing maintenance. I have lived under two (current place has one in front yard).

But they give great shade and look nice. Worst come to worst get a lopper to cut out dead branches to stop them dropping, and buy a leaf blower.

Trees

Hiya

There was a "dangerous" tree which toppled 2 years ago on a car and trapped the lady and her young son in the Hornsby shire area.

She was left a paraplegic(sic); totally paraylsed waist down; there was a notice in the local paper inviting people to a fund raising dinner to take care of her living expenses for life.

It was very sad as she was not even from the local area; i believe the locals had been agitating for some time for the tree to be cut down.

Two doors down, my neighbour had rung council to look at a tottering gum tree. Council came, agreed some parts were dangerous; the actual day came, whirring trucks and quite a few men lolling about: result: 2 branches cut off...think about the expenses that would have been incurred.

As the Meriton boss said; if you want trees, go look at them in the Blue Mountains!

Depends on the tree IMO

I still have about 10 large gumtrees on my small acreage but have removed the ones overhanging the house. We have replanted 3 times as many away from the house so that the place keeps it leafy feel.

If the tree is dangerous you may have no choice to lop or remove. Perhaps you could get an arborist to come and give you a quote to make it safe.

If it is dangerous then a quote to cut it down, if still healthy than a quote to remove the branches overhanging the house.

If you have a preference I have found the rough and ready arborists are more inclined to remove rather than lop. You may also find a neighbour tells the council if you do cut it down.

If the tree is to stay then I would have leafguard fitted to the gutters to stop the leaves rotting out the gutters and then sweep the never ending fall of leaves up.

Gum trees aren't called 'widow makers' for nothing. They are lovely in the bush but they are just the wrong kind of tree for the suburbs. They drop branches on cars and houses. They take out power lines in storms. Uggghhhhh!!

I appreciate all the replies. please keep them coming. Tree felling seems to be an emotive topic. Even my wife wants the tree to remain, but here are some reasons i want to see it gone -

My brother will be riding a mobility scooter to visit the shops, hospital etc. The roots are lifting the concrete surrounding the house , so could be dangerous for him if he tips the scooter over, as well as the damage the roots could do to the house foundations. Here are some pics -

003-4.jpg

005-4.jpg

There is no lawn to speak of. I believe the tree is sucking up all the moisture from the soil.

Adelaide has very hot summers, and gum trees often drop branches without warning. Just a couple of nights ago i was driving slowly in my own street and heard an almighty crack. looked up just in time to see a big branch break off a gum tree and fall onto the footpath. Thankfully nobody was walking near the tree. I do not want to be responsible for causing injury to anybody.

I intend to plant a nice lawn, put security gates up etc and just have some low maintenance shrubs out the front , but plant some more appropriate fruit trees in the large backyard.

Sure, the gum tree gives lots of shade, but who wants to clean up a mess like this all the time -

001-5.jpg

Stangman.

That gutter down pipe in the 2nd last photo is draining onto the path. That could be causing some problems with the concrete by washing away the soil beneath.

i like the small gums (dwarf i think they're called), they're only a few metres tall and have much nicer flowers that attract the birds.

are there large trees that are less likely to randomly kill a jogger? how about silky oak (grevillea robusta)?

Aaah, if it is a problem with foundations and paths then you could have it removed and worry about the rest later.

Perhaps if it dies then you could find it easier to remove without dramas, you need some copper based lawn fertilizer :) I have been assured by an arborist that gum trees hate copper in the soil.

No point in dying for a bit of shade:(

I used to like gum trees until the neighbour's big tree, which was still looking very healthy, fell over in a non severe afternoon storm. It wrecked a large section of the fence between us and narrowly missed my house.

Great on big properties or in the bush, but on a small surburban block - no thank you.

ask the council for permission to cut it down for safety reasons if they wont let you ask them to sign a document stating they will be liable for any problems that tree creates

Back