Sailing

The guys in that vid were "racing". A chardonnay twilight cruise isn't "racing". (BTW Where's Boatboy?) Where, between those extremes, do you fit?

The guys in that vid were "racing". A chardonnay twilight cruise isn't "racing". (BTW Where's Boatboy?) Where, between those extremes, do you fit?

We are competitive and win on ocassion. We do have a beer when poled out but no Chardonnay. Sailing on Lake Macquarie is safe enough :)

I have raced offshore and will again.

One April I took a VJ out on L Mac as the "responsible adult" with a lad I didn't know. It wasn't an organised event and how should I know the side stay would break?

As a Nth Qld boy I was freezing by the time we washed up on the other side of the lake.

But I wish I could afford to live there now. Or Nelson's Beach.

Anyone notice ex Lake Macquarie yacht Polaris came last in this years Sydney to Hobart.
She's an old boat now, I think they said this was here 25th S/H.
From memory a cole 42

I'll stick to the kitesurfing though :D

oooo - whats that like? hubby is an windsurfer/surfer from old days - into sailing nowadays (not competitively) but after 12 years of sailing with him i'm a bit over it and ready to move onto new things ... so ... i bought him a kitesurfing lesson voucher for christmas.

he's a bit wary about trying it out - being very close to 50 - but i guess he can finally use the sports massage voucher i got him for fathers day last year.

so, the question is - how do the old buggers pull up from kitesurfing, or is it a young man's sport?

We do have a beer when poled out but no Chardonnay.
Best time to do it mate! As a bowman, I get to sit alongside the mast on windward and drink my beer as the trimmers down the back keep the kite nice and fat. On the off chance we have to jhybe, I'll just hand the beer back while I head forward with the brace and bring the pole across and plug the now windward brace back into the beak. Too much for me to do when we're beating into the wind or reaching and of course at the marks is when I do most of my work, coming in I'm plugging in the kite or getting ready to drop it down the hatch and hoist the headie. And of course, once the kite is dropped I have to go below and pack it so no time for that beer when we're beating. Hoisting it out of the hatch can get a bit messy so better to put it back in the bag...

If you go offshore then there's a lot more time for a beer on the rail. Its just the inshore pointscore which can get a bit hectic. :D

Haven't sailed since I came up to Brisbane, but I will again soon enough.

Cheers,
Michael

so, the question is - how do the old buggers pull up from kitesurfing, or is it a young man's sport?

Kitesurfing is skill, not strength, much like sailing. The reason is because you are harnessed into the kite at the waist, it requires relatively little upper body effort. Your legs can get a bit of a workout though, much like going skiing or snowboarding, but as you get better you learn to use the kite to take the weight off the lower limbs as well :D Plenty of ppl over 50 and even 60 kitesurf. ;)

Kitesurfing is skill, not strength, much like sailing. The reason is because you are harnessed into the kite at the waist, it requires relatively little upper body effort. Your legs can get a bit of a workout though, much like going skiing or snowboarding, but as you get better you learn to use the kite to take the weight off the lower limbs as well :D Plenty of ppl over 50 and even 60 kitesurf. ;)

Agreed. It does require some stomach muscles though - you can be sitting back in the harness and essentially have to hold your upper body up so they can get a bit sore by the end of the day.

Get some good lessons first on the safety side of things and learn on flat water with a side wind (so you don't get blown on shore or out to sea...).

By the time he's doing 20 metre jumps he'll be fit as a fiddle... :)

BTW I've linked this before but like it so much I'll link it again... can't do that windsurfing (or sailing...)! :eek:

Much as I love sailing as well... oh for more time in a day!

Thanks for that info.
I was only 1foot short.
I thought I heard Polaris was now registered out of the Gosford yacht club.
Last I saw of here about 2 years ago she was forsale on Pit****er.
Very pricey for old boats.

BTW I've linked this before but like it so much I'll link it again... can't do that windsurfing (or sailing...)! :eek:

woooooo hooooooo - that was some air! ... he's also a snowboarder so another plus. i did also promise to hubby that if he honestly really enjoyed kitesurfing that i'd give it a go too.

then maybe i could turn that underused ip deposit in the front yard into something more financially viable (shhhh - don't tell).

Back