Salary Sacrifice Investment Home Loans - CBA Staff only

Came across this today. Not that useful for me, but maybe of interest for the brokers on the forums (though I'm sure you guys are already aware of this)

Eligible* CBA employees who have a new or existing Investment Home Loan (IHL) and entitled to claim a personal tax deduction for the interest incurred can choose Salary Sacrifice as a repayment option by simply completing an e-form.

This benefit will allow you to nominate a percentage of your IHL interest which will be paid via a deduction from your gross fortnightly salary.The salary sacrificed interest will reduce the amount of tax deducted from your fortnightly pay. This means that you can access your interest tax deductions earlier rather than waiting until the end of the financial year to make a claim on your personal tax return.

The benefit is available for both principal and interest only IHL loans (please note that Interest in Advance loans and Viridian Lines of Credit are not eligible), but only the interest that you would otherwise be able to personally claim as a tax deduction can be salary sacrificed. For example, if the loan is held jointly with your spouse or one other person, you may elect to salary sacrifice a maximum of 50% of the loan interest.

* Eligibility
1. You must be a permanent employee (either full or part-time) working for a Commonwealth Bank Group company in Australia. Casual employees, employees on a fixed term contract and those who are working overseas are not eligible to participate;
2. You must be paid via PeopleSoft HR;
3. You must have an Investment Home Loan (IHL) with the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Colonial or Homepath that is for investment housing or personal investment purposes;
4. The IHL must not be an Interest in Advance repayment option;
5. A nominated Commonwealth Bank account must be in place at all times to meet any net repayments outside of the salary sacrifice arrangements.

Never seen this before, but it doesn't make much sense...

Note that the eligibility criteria states you must have an investment loan, not a non-deductible PPOR loan.

They're effectively saying that your investment loans are tax deductible and you can reduce the tax paid in your salary by directly making the repayments from your CBA salary.

Newsflash! Investment loans are generally tax deductible (not just for CBA staff). Everyone can get the same outcome by submitting a PAYG variation form to their employer (I forget what the specific form is, but it's common knowledge).

As a result of this, CBA staff who take up this offer may find that they have to pay tax on their rental income when they lodge their tax returns. They could be in for a bit of a shock! It's even possible that there may be fines from the ATO involved as a result of this.

Most charities and not-for-profit organizations have a tax ruling that allows their staff to salary sacrifice living expenses and their home mortgage to varying degrees. We see it all the time with nurses and other staff working in public hospitals and charities. This does not apply to the CBA because they're sure as hell not a NFP organization!

This simply looks like a sucker offer to keep their own staff loyal, rather than shopping around for a better deal.

Macquarie Bank also offered this.

Its an alternative to lodging the tax variation i guess.

Either way, I'm not sure if its old or something that's just been introduced, but i figured i would post it so you brokers wouldn't be caught unaware of what it is if any of your customers asked about it.

Honestly, it's my experience that the "Staff packages" offered by most lenders haven't been particularly generous deals in the past.

They're better lately, most lenders are offering 90% with no LMI which tends to be a good deal. Their published staff rate and fee discounts are generally fairly average though.

NAB have this too for their home loans and personal loans.

Re Peter's post above - the 90% LMI waiver is good but the staff interest rate is not. Customers can get a better rate. I guess they've got to make up the LMI waiver somehow...

I have clients who do it

Mostly benefits those with higher incomes who dont believe in super and want the opportunity to invest the SGC their own way

ta
rolf

I have clients who do it

Mostly benefits those with higher incomes who dont believe in super and want the opportunity to invest the SGC their own way

ta
rolf

Rolf, this has nothing to with SGC or super.
I believe its falls under FBT for the organisation.

The only benefit I see from this is improving cash flow throughout the year.

I also looked into this myself personally. But would rather a nice tax return each year.

I think Pete is right, its more so a way to ensure cba staff keep their loans with CBA

About as useful as a ashtray on a Harley.
Taxpayers can very their PAYG withholding in any case so no deductions are bought forward.
The tax benefits of SalSac for an otherwise deductible loan are zero. There is zero FBT issue.

Its a bit different if the employee works in a hospital, charity etc. Then I would strongly recommend a Sal Sac of some of the HOME LOAN, not an IP loan !!

Adjusted taxable income doesn't change
Taxable income doesn't change

Rolf, this has nothing to with SGC or super.
I believe its falls under FBT for the organisation.

The interest is "otherwise deductible" so there's no FBT to the employer, unless you stuff it up and you sacrifice against a non-deductible loan. At which point the bank will recover any FBT payable from your salary.

As people above have mentioned there's no additional benefit to the staff member that cannot be had with a PAYG variation.

The real benefit to the arrangement is that it actually allows the banks to save on payroll tax. Easy way to cut the overall staff expense line.

Agreed with most of the above re; SS for IP.

Failing to see the benefit, got excited until I noticed only IP.

CBA is now actually extremely good with it's staff (and other bank staff) with both rate an LMI.

CBA is now actually extremely good with it's staff (and other bank staff) with both rate an LMI.

Made me want to work there...

At least until their job is off-shored ...

Unless the off-shore people are literate enough and know Australian regulation well, they can make more mistakes and create more work for the AU staff (at least that's what one of my NAB friend told me). Apart from that, it would make more sense to create efficiency and increased capacity through better process and technology rather than adding human, albeit on the other side of the world.

DH just finished up at CBA after being there nearly 10 years and we never knew about the LMI discount!

In the past his superiors strongly recommended we send our loans their way but we were never offered anything better than we already had with other lenders.

Maybe this is more around what is termed an 'in-house benefit'.

We are a charity that has normal salary sacrifice components, but in addition, in-house benefits up to a certain amount can be FBT exempt.

Can't recall the allowable amount though.

For example, a childcare organisation can provide free or low-cost childcare without incurring FBT.

For CBA staff, an in-house benefit could be loans??

Back