San Francisco

San Fransisco

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine is moving to San fran on a work/ holiday visa. Apparently accommodation is hard to come by due to various factors.

Could anyone provide some advice if someone is looking for a room to rent in the San Fran area?

Are there particular websites they can access and also any particular areas to to stay in?

Oh - I loved San Fran. It is the only USA city I would go back to again. Make sure you take the opportunity to visit :D

Im actually considering visiting for a few weeks in December so thats good to know!
It will be freezing!!

Make sure you get up to the Napa Valley (about an hour north) the hills will have a bit of snow on them.

Don't miss the Alcatraz tour - book well in advance.

It will be freezing!!

Make sure you get up to the Napa Valley (about an hour north) the hills will have a bit of snow on them.

Don't miss the Alcatraz tour - book well in advance.

We were there end of June. It was still very cold. Fascinating climate there and the fogs. We only had three days there. I loved San Francisco especially the architecture.

We did an urban safari tour that ended with Alcatraz and you are free to stay on the rock until the last ferry. It was worth it as they know where they are taking you and we had limited time there.

Wife and I hired bicycles. Yes, those hills.....:eek:

Rode from the CBD over to Fishermans wharf, then over the Golden Gate Bridge and back.

I was in jeans and RM Williams riding boots.

Geeze I had a sore *** but it was the best way to see it all.

Alcatraz is a must do.

Sorry this is just short term holiday advice, not for long term stays but here are some more must dos for San Fran.
Check out Chinatown
I'd go to Postcard Row.
Push bike ride over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito.
Definitely make sure you try a tram!
And see the Seals at Fisherman's wharf.
Attend a baseball game.
Lots of fun.

I stayed at the HI (YHA equivalent - low cost hostel). Book early though. Good value and they do low cost activities (eg. That bike ride I mentioned). Or check out Air bnb.

Last edited:
Just came back after four days in San Fran last week. Pretty relaxing town. Did:

Cable car ride
Tram ride
Electric bus ride
Light rail - BART
Chinatown - ate and ate
Golden Gate Bridge
Fisherman's wharf
Audio tour of Alcatraz - I found this quite depressing yet fascinating in terms of how low humanity can sink.
Walked around downtown - Market and Mission street - when the local baseball team - the Giants won a third world series and the streets went berserk

I loved how almost all shops offer free wifi - so I could constantly check asx prices on my phone

I'm flying out to SF this weekend.

I'm staying via Airbnb. Highly recommended--lots of options and great value.

If your friend shares a place with someone, they'll be able to ask if their host can point them in the direction of a more permanent rental.

I recommend not staying in the "Tenderloin" district. There shootings on two separate occasions (fatality in one) in my five nights there.

Lobster on egg noodles in Chinatown can be quite a lot cheaper compared to the same dish ($130 AUD vs $35 USD) at regular restaurants, I'd take the chance to load up ;)

I recommend not staying in the "Tenderloin" district. There shootings on two separate occasions (fatality in one) in my five nights there.

Lobster on egg noodles in Chinatown can be quite a lot cheaper compared to the same dish ($130 AUD vs $35 USD) at regular restaurants, I'd take the chance to load up ;)

I loaded up to the extent that I will need funds for bariatric surgery.

I loaded up to the extent that I will need funds for bariatric surgery.

I know one on the central coast, I am sure he can look after you at a good price. Perhaps even swap some stock tips. You may need to book in advance, he often goes away on trips, just got back from the US last week.

I know one on the central coast, I am sure he can look after you at a good price. Perhaps even swap some stock tips. You may need to book in advance, he often goes away on trips, just got back from the US last week.

You might have the wong dr.

Back