Sanctuary Point NSW

I'm only new to this investing malarky and I don't claim to know much of anything. I'm not a real estate agent, just wanted to give my thoughts on Sanctuary Point NSW.
I've been going down there for about 8 years and researching real estate in this area for about 2 years, I have family who retired down there.
I know a little about the area, if anyone has any questions about what streets are like or particular houses let me know.
It had price rises around 2005-2007. Prices, dipped and flattened. Then they went up a little mid-late last year. A report in a property investing magazine named Sanctuary Point as a top suburb for rental yield.
I've noticed that towards the end of 2013 all of the cheaper 3 bedroom houses have sold. There are no listings under $200k (as far as I know the $193k 3 bedder is gone).
This 2 story would be my pick of the bunch around that price: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-sanctuary+point-111160839 I rang the agent last week out of curiosity and it was still available. He said it's had a reno, been painted obviously and new kitchen, it would rent for $260-$270 (6.17%)-6.41%). It was $230k not long ago and will probably sell for less than $210k.
There is not much left in the sub-$250 range, and buyers have moved into the sub $300k and there are plenty disappearing above that too.
Locals reckon this happens as people put out 'For Sale' signs during the holidays, hoping for a bite at a good price from the tourists who (hopefully) fall in love with the area. But the activity has continued early this year.
What are other people's thoughts, can this be an indicator that prices are going to increase?
The highway South of Nowra has been completed, so it's 2 lanes nearly all of the way from Berry, making the trip to/from Sydney quicker - if and when they ever finish the upgrades that they're doing South of Kiama at Gerringong (was a ******* nightmare at xmas)! The road that cuts through from the highway at Terpentine Road to Canberra has been finished, and only about 1km of it is unsealed, cutting off about 30mins from that trip. Canberrans love their fancy South coast holidays, and they used to have to drive via Batemans Bay.
It is right on St Georges Basin which is good for fishing and swimming with little kids. It is always packed with boats at holiday time, locals talk of staying away from the the boatramp around this time, as it takes too long to get in the water.
I've seen houses on the water have sold. There are also very expensive houses that have titles that go to the water with no public access in some areas (I'm sure some retired council man is doing pretty well from that dodgy deal ;)
It is only about 7 minutes drive to the beaches that I prefer at Jervis Bay and the fancy expensive houses of Huskisson and Vincentia.
Canberra prices went up. Obviously Sydney (where I live and can't afford to buy ;) is going crazy at the moment, is it possible for the supposed 'ripple effect' to get to Sanctuary Point sooner rather than later in the absence of other obvious indicators?

Can't comment on the RE market but I do like this quiet part of the south coast. Naturally I'd prefer a house on Hyams Beach but SP is a lot more reasonable in terms of prices. What rental return would you expect on this house?

Can't comment on the RE market but I do like this quiet part of the south coast. Naturally I'd prefer a house on Hyams Beach but SP is a lot more reasonable in terms of prices. What rental return would you expect on this house?

It's a pretty awesome spot, I'm not telling the name of my favourite beach at Jervis Bay, hehe.
The house at $210k above? The agent reckoned $260-$270.
I like the look of this big brick one too, just went down from $289k, not very shiny but that's a lot of house:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-sanctuary+point-114314659

It's a pretty awesome spot, I'm not telling the name of my favourite beach at Jervis Bay, hehe.
The house at $210k above? The agent reckoned $260-$270.
I like the look of this big brick one too, just went down from $289k, not very shiny but that's a lot of house:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-sanctuary+point-114314659

Poor vendors must be getting desperate to sell as they paid $270K for it back in 2005... lots could be done to fix it up though!!

As a South Coasty I'm very biased about the beautiful Jervis Bay, but Sanctuary Point is one of the lower socio-economic areas. The Sanga-bangers have copped a fair bit of flack in the media recently, maybe with youth issues, petty crime, graffiti etc - low unemployment within the area. Beautiful spot tho.

What's the vacancy rate like??

As a South Coasty I'm very biased about the beautiful Jervis Bay, but Sanctuary Point is one of the lower socio-economic areas. The Sanga-bangers have copped a fair bit of flack in the media recently, maybe with youth issues, petty crime, graffiti etc - low unemployment within the area. Beautiful spot tho.

What's the vacancy rate like??

There are areas that are a bit pov scum anywhere around that area, up to the coast near Nowra. Even Wollongong. I reckon it's good to know where the dodgy parts of any place are so you can avoid them.

Depends where you look, about 3.5% according to dsrscore.com.au

I spend a lot of time in the area:
- I looked at moving to the area in 2010 and prices are cheaper now, even some houses/land I looked at back then were still on the market last year.
- woolworths / aldi development still has not been completed yet it was meant to be completed back in 2010, which indicates the corporates knowledge of the area.
- there is a bayswood land development nearby in vincentia ( better area) which I am pretty sure stocklands is looking at selling which may indicate their future opinion of the area.
- it is not 2 lane from nowra to berry. It is all one lane to bomaderry / nowra. The gerrigong road has started but the nowra to berry has not.
- it is definitely a lower socio-economic area
- if they ever get to building the Nowra/berry road and albion park by pass ( which is still several years away ) it would possibility reduce travelling time to Wollongong to under 1hr (the main reason I didn't make the more) - thus making it a market for people working in Wollongong.
- there is pretty high unemployment in the shoalhaven area especially among the youth.
- also in my searches I have seen plenty of properties in the $200-300k price range

In saying that I would definitely look at moving to the area if I could somehow convince the better half. The beaches/ jervis bay are great, very beautiful area. It would offer a nice quite lifestyle.

I reckon if you were looking for a sea change or holiday house you could pick up a bargain right now.

Just to clarrify, I'm a big fan of the Shoalhaven and think Nowra certainly has potential, but just not sure about Sanctuary point.

Sanctuary Point is going very well, there are now 34 people looking per property (up from about 9), the 'DSR' score has gone up from about 10 to 19 (days on market down, auction clearance rate up, online search interest way up), and more importantly prices are up. Houses are selling pretty quickly too.

I've got a place in Erowal Bay..pretty close to Hyams Beach. I preferred it to Sanctuary Point as the blocks are bigger & it's closer to Vincentia & Huskisson. Also, Sanctuary Point has a flood history. I am looking forward to the new Woolworths Supermarket complex being built- will be great for the area! It is suppose to be completed by Xmas 2015.

Just to clarrify, I'm a big fan of the Shoalhaven and think Nowra certainly has potential, but just not sure about Sanctuary point.

I work in the area and own closer to Nowra and from a semi-local POV I agree with Nowra close to the CBD (west of the hway) or any of the bay side areas (Callala/Husky/Vincentia) although the ROI is just not there due to the premium prices.

As for Sanga Point, sorry I wouldn't go there just on its reputation (crime) and the lack of potential for long term capital gain compared to other areas in the area.

Yes I know each area has its good and bad spots but from my 15 years working with the real locals I have never heard anyone say they want to live there, although some do as that's the only house/land they could afford, which is unlike the other areas listed above.

it would rent for $260-$270 (6.17%)-6.41%). It was $230k not long ago and will probably sell for less than $210k. There is not much left in the sub-$250 range

As that end of the market, in both price and rent in that area your opening yourself up to a world of possible hurt as it will only attract the low end of the socio-economic tenants that are the "real locals" to Sanga Pt.

It would be like going to Wagga an buying in Tolland or Mt Austin for those that know Wagga.

Hey Nowra local (for now) with plenty experience (and clients) in Sanga, quick heads up- thoroughly research the area down to the section of the street- definitely pockets of hardcore rat bags, some bikie activity and a thriving crack scene on the DL. On the upside some pockets of awesome housing with killer homes backing onto the water etc. As far as future potential, through my experience investing, other young home buyers, and locals there I know, looks like Sanga is popular with oldies wanting to retire near water on a golf course or young drop kicks pooling together to rent a place with a front yard big enough for 6 dismantled VT commos... similar money closer north gets you other coastal places like warilla, Lake Illawarra etc with more growth indicators... Food for thought...

also keep away from houses with staffys. If there are wrecked commodores and staffys in the same house, then keep well away. At this point, the bogan meter will show a very high reading.

Malfunction!

Bogan meter at Sanga clogged up by meth smoke and fried Nankangs, Staffy most likely swapped for new Nike Shox and Monster Energy hoodie... Or maybe snake in a cracked fish tank... danger, danger, abort, abort!

Bogan meter at Sanga clogged up by meth smoke and fried Nankangs, Staffy most likely swapped for new Nike Shox and Monster Energy hoodie... Or maybe snake in a cracked fish tank... danger, danger, abort, abort!

It's too late my friend, you have entered .....the bogan zone.....donot adjust your monitor. The needle on the bogan meter has swung so hard it has smashed the plastic cover and jabbed someone in the butt. You must now wait till 4.00 am when they finally get to sleep stoned and drunk, you then have 10 hours to escape before the nightmare repeats.

also keep away from houses with staffys. If there are wrecked commodores and staffys in the same house, then keep well away. At this point, the bogan meter will show a very high reading.

No one's ever made money in Blacktown, Queanbeyan, Ipswich, Elizabeth, Frankston...

I spend a lot of time in the area:
- I looked at moving to the area in 2010 and prices are cheaper now, even some houses/land I looked at back then were still on the market last year.
- woolworths / aldi development still has not been completed yet it was meant to be completed back in 2010, which indicates the corporates knowledge of the area.
- there is a bayswood land development nearby in vincentia ( better area) which I am pretty sure stocklands is looking at selling which may indicate their future opinion of the area.
- it is not 2 lane from nowra to berry. It is all one lane to bomaderry / nowra. The gerrigong road has started but the nowra to berry has not.
- it is definitely a lower socio-economic area
- if they ever get to building the Nowra/berry road and albion park by pass ( which is still several years away ) it would possibility reduce travelling time to Wollongong to under 1hr (the main reason I didn't make the more) - thus making it a market for people working in Wollongong.
- there is pretty high unemployment in the shoalhaven area especially among the youth.
- also in my searches I have seen plenty of properties in the $200-300k price range

In saying that I would definitely look at moving to the area if I could somehow convince the better half. The beaches/ jervis bay are great, very beautiful area. It would offer a nice quite lifestyle.

I reckon if you were looking for a sea change or holiday house you could pick up a bargain right now.

The bypass of berry has started and the next section is in the post.

Back