Satellite dish installation in unit

Hi,

We recently got an approval from our strata manager to install a Foxtel like dish on the roof of a townhouse in the complex but it has to be 2 meters away from the edge of the roof. Our technician says that it is impossible to do so because if he puts the dish in the middle of the roof top then he has to remove the tiles and that could even lead to a roof leakage. He told me that the dish should be just installed closer to the edge of the roof and I do see many Foxtel dishes on the streets are just erected next to the roof edge. Our next door neighbor is the chairman of the council of the owners and he is trying to convince Councillors to vote against our installation.

Does anyone have knowledge of this kind of issue? I am desperately to find an answer. The dish is subscribed for my elderly non English speaking mother to be able to watch foreign TV. This will be the only source of her news and entertainment and she is so looking forward to having it installed. I can't see the dish will effect anyone's lives and causes any problems if that is within accordance of Australian standard.

Can anyone tell me what can I do if we receive a refusal from the body corp?

Thanks guys.

Would the other owners get benefit? The would need their own cabling, but could that be hooked onto your dish? Would that cut down on their costs and perhaps encourage them to vote for it?

I had this issue with a tenant - The gutter mounts seem to be a cheap (and ugly) standard for foxtel that removes the complexity of having roof penetrations which is probably sensible. I do wonder about wind loading but...

I would suggest that you understand what is the motivator for the neighbour - i.e. have a chat and ask them what is their concern? Is it it that the dish is visible to them? If so can you mount it such that it is not particularly visible?

You can get another contractor to install the mount elsewhere of course.

Thanks for your replies

Next door neighbor is an 80 year old man and he looks through the window and over the balcony all the time, really hard to figure out what he is on about most of the time I think it is just to practice power? He can be too nice sometimes too. Rack on the roof might be another idea that I will explore that. Technician also suggested that we can put the dish in a pot like a plant, it will be portable but very stable, the balcony is about 30 sqm but next door said the dish will look ugly from his side! I am just wondering if we should go ahead with it and put dish in a portable pot? I don't know what power he/body corp has over this?

If the body corp is refusing to have it on the roof, I'd go with the flower pot option. Too bad if it is ugly for the neighbour. (Is the neighbour who thinks it is ugly the same one who has been a party to refusing to have it attached to the edge of the roof?)

Ysl

Thanks Wylie. That's what I am planning to do but old man next door said we need approval for that too. I am totally lost!:mad:I am not familiar with the process if the body corp can ask me to remove the portable satellite.

a satellite dish needs to be correctly aligned with the satellite ie it can't be moved or you won't get reception.

A ground based dish can be installed on a footing or small one dynabolted to the slab but you need to have the correct orientation.

check out the bylaws.

I prefer the gutter mount as climbing on the roof then exposes body corp to ohs issues providing safe access and anchor points etc.

Yes gutter mount is our preferred method but has been refused by body corp and we are just asking them for reasons for this refusal. They insist that has to be 2 meters from the roof edge.

Yes gutter mount is our preferred method but has been refused by body corp and we are just asking them for reasons for this refusal. They insist that has to be 2 meters from the roof edge.

If this is what they insist on, why not just go with it. If the installer damages the roof, it would be his company's insurance that would cover a repair, wouldn't it? Perhaps ask to see some paperwork showing that they have insurance to cover any damage caused.

Or, tell the BC your concerns, and ask them if they will cover any damage done via having to attach it two metres in.

Installer has made it very clearly that we are responsible for any damage or they won't do the job. I am just so frustrated that such a petty issue is turning into a big one.

Yes Rick. The BC rules says no rubbish and washing is to be stored or hung in the balcony area...Keep it tidy to ensure the general aesthetics of the complex...

Yes Rick. The BC rules says no rubbish and washing is to be stored or hung in the balcony area...Keep it tidy to ensure the general aesthetics of the complex...

That's very common. (That's an older article. I don't know what happened after that).

Do people really hang rubbish in the balcony area?

Installer has made it very clearly that we are responsible for any damage or they won't do the job. I am just so frustrated that such a petty issue is turning into a big one.

Could you check to see whether any other installer has insurance to cover something going wrong with the installation?

And... a satellite dish is neither washing or rubbish :D

Maybe lay your cards on the table with the BC. Explain you are trying to stop the roof tiles being damaged. Two metres in or on the edge... it will still be seen by neighbours I guess. Maybe take your BC paperwork to a legal service (free if possible, or an hour's fee(?) if you cannot find a free one) and see what they can do if you take the lower risk option of having it on the balcony.

Back