Saving Money DIY Windows

I'm doing a big extension to my PPOR.

I need lots of casement windows. Buying these new is EXPENSIVE! About $450 each set of 2 casements.

So I figured I would make them myself. Then today I was searching for window sills for the project, new they are $120 per 1.1m window sill! Craziness.

None of the demolition yards had any window sills in good condition or the right size (165mm wide). So I got two lengths of 3.6m hardwood for $60.

Took me 20 mins to cut, plane down and sand each bit of wood to turn it into a window sill.

Throw in 2 casements that I got for $11 each, and some random pine for the frame, all up the windows should cost me about $50 - $60 each. So I'm saving about $360 per window, and there are going to be LOTS of windows (about $7200 worth new, costing me about $900 DIY).

A few hours of work today produced 6 window sills and one of them framed up and undercoated. That's a $600 -$700 saving. :) Gotta love DIY, plus it's recyling the old wood and windows rather than chopping down trees for new ones. Win win :D

Attachments

• window sill.jpg
    window sill.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 115
  • after paint.jpg
    after paint.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 128
Nice workTim.

It's amazing how you can save money when you DIY. Better in your pocket than someone elses!

In my house at the Druitt, one timber window sill was rotted out. I compromised and used an old piece of skirting board as a new window sill. Once it was painted you'd have to look twice to notice it was different, lol. Saved heaps.

A few hours of work today produced 6 window sills and one of them framed up and undercoated. That's a $600 -$700 saving. :) Gotta love DIY, plus it's recyling the old wood and windows rather than chopping down trees for new ones. Win win :D
That's awesome! Windows look great too.

Just make sure that you have a drip groove to stop water coming back into the building, adequate and correctly positioned flashings, prime the entire frame before installation, use timber which doesn't warp or rot (otherwise the windows won't open).

Back