Say Melbourne gets flattened by earthquake

I'd put the "massive earthquake destroys my IP's" scenario in the same basket as the "property will crash 50% next year" basket.

Yes either scenario can happen. In fact, earthquake is much more likely, but still the likelihood of it actually eventuating is too slim to factor into your plans (with the obvious exception of the standard insurance on your property). You should be more worried - and therefore taking necessary steps - about your tenants burning down your property next week. MUCH more likely scenario, but doesn't mean you won't buy any property in case they leave the stove on do you?

Also remember, earthquakes cause much more devastation and damage in countries like Haiti as many of the structures aren't built as soundly.

It's common knowledge amongst the industry that Adelaide is due to have a very large earthquake at some point in the future (and no, not just the hysteria I'm hearing over the last couple days). I spoke many times a few years back with one of the senior project supervisors for one of SA biggest commercial builders. The majority of his work (at that time anyway) was making big commercial buildings around the city earthquake resistant. Just a matter of time, though who knows if it will be 20 minutes or 20yrs. So I don't base my investment plans around this, other than as I mentioned above to have adequate insurance in place.

It's common knowledge amongst the industry that Adelaide is due to have a very large earthquake at some point in the future (and no, not just the hysteria I'm hearing over the last couple days). I spoke many times a few years back with one of the senior project supervisors for one of SA biggest commercial builders. The majority of his work (at that time anyway) was making big commercial buildings around the city earthquake resistant. Just a matter of time, though who knows if it will be 20 minutes or 20yrs. So I don't base my investment plans around this, other than as I mentioned above to have adequate insurance in place.

Do you remember the Adelaide earthquake back in 1985? Oh wait .. you wouldn't :)
Well, I do. Think I'll head to Melbourne. Safer there.

Melbourne is not in an earthquake zone. QUOTE]

Hi Amadio

Actually, it is.

We have property in Croydon and pay an Earthquake premium on insurance.

My Daughter's townhouse in Kilsyth has cracks upstairs from earthquake. The neighbour was home when the quake came through and saw and felt the whole building move.

In 2010 we experienced two earthquakes - I was awake both times (early morning) and heard and felt them as they hit our house. Interesting noise as the windows 'whipped' with the movement.

Both these quakes came from the fault in the Bass Strait, which then reverberated up from Gippsland along the fault line.

We pay bush fire premiums for our properties in Wonga Park, and earthquake premiums for our properties in Croydon.

Property does not have to be on the seaboard to be vulnerable.

However, having said that, yes the mortgage still has to be paid even if the property is razed to the ground.

This is the 'loss of rent' benefit of insurance. 'Loss of rent' is not 'default by a tenant', it is when the property is uninhabitable and is usually covered for a twelve month period. If it takes longer than that to rebuild, to the best of my knowledge, you are on your own.

cheers
Kristine

On the basis of all of the above posibilities, would buying property, in say the Alice, because it has the posibility of becoming "water front", be a worth while consideration?

We have property in Croydon and pay an Earthquake premium on insurance.
I didn't know you could even get earthquake insurance for Melbourne properties.

We were pretty much on top of the Californian earthquake of Oct 1989 - 7.1 - and everything since then is just a bit of a wobble so I guess it depends on what perspective one takes. :)

I didn't know you could even get earthquake insurance for Melbourne properties.

Hi Amadio

It's not separate insurance, it is a requirement of the Fire & General insurance for our Bank (building). Guild simply include it as part of the cover

Obviously, it would have to be an earthquake of mammoth proportions for any movement in the Strait to effect buildings in Croydon, but nonetheless insurance companies are great repositories of factual information, so if they say that Croydon is in an earthquake zone, then it is and so we pay!

The premium for this event is nominal, reflecting the low chance of earthquake damage actually occuring, but the Daughter's townhouse moved probably about 3-5mm and this was enough for the concrete block construction to not be able to absorb the shock.

However, we are about to start building near the Bay, so with rising sea levels maybe our grandchildren will inherit a water front property?!?

cheers
Kristine

Back