scam alert

Hi, I received an email purportedly from CommBank advising I 'qualified' for a tax refund.

It seemed quite authentic as I'm getting a couple of tax refunds but via my tax returns.

I went to the bank to confirm just in case & they told me they don't send such emails.

What raised the red flags was the attachment requesting credit card number.

I'd also [before this] received the nigerian scam emails but I knew about those long long ago when I was overseas.

So, err on the safe side, people.

KY

Yes, I'm finding the scam emails are getting more authentic these days. No glaring spelling mistakes or laughably preposterous setups (an ex-Nigerian dictator with lots of $$$ and needs help getting it out of country etc)

Just remember, a bank will NEVER ask you for your credit card number or PIN via email, no matter how authentic the email looks.

I got one today too saying you have won $100 from Commonwealth Bank, please give us all your personal information so we can transfer money :D

i had one from "cba" asking me to clikc on some lnk & confimr my netbanking details cuse of some system upgrade...
scary stuff really

I get them every day now, one is meant to be from CBA with 'member satisfaction reward survey' and the other is 'confirm your subscription to..'
I just setup Message Rules in Outlook to delete them if they have those lines in the subject and now I dont have to look at it again.

Even though it sounds crazy to give your details away I only worked with a guy yesterday and his boss replied to one with everything :eek: He came to him saying he was about to get $100 for just doing a survey! He told him to go to the bank straight away and get his accounts sorted. This scam is working so we will probably get these for the next 15yrs like the nigerian one :rolleyes:

Yeh got them on my business email, no idea how they got my email...

Then i realised people send junk all the time, if u wanna scam someone u just get a fwd fwd fwd email and take all emails off it a bam u have 1000000000's of prospect suckers..

pretty sad along with annoying.

I got one yesterday from CBA.

It wasn't asking for any c/c details - it was an alert message I had to check, just to click on the link to check the alert.

Sorry, dudes; no.

I've received them before, and simply delete them, then go to my real online Bank account to check the accounts and messages.

Last edited:
Funny you guys should mention all this stuff. I got an email from a prince the other day, and he has agreed to give me 10% of his fortune if I help him get some money out of his country...I dont even have to do anything! I think that some of these are really genuine cries for help and this is the only way they know how to get their money. If I can make a few bucks along the way, I'm all for it. Will let you all know how I go.
Boods

Good on you bood, helping out a poor prince who is in trouble in his own country ! And you stand to make a good commission for your very little work ! Quick send your bank details to him quick, it might get seized by the new government that is opressing him otherwise ! Lucky, out of everyone in the world, he selected to email YOU

Funny you guys should mention all this stuff. I got an email from a prince the other day, and he has agreed to give me 10% of his fortune if I help him get some money out of his country...I dont even have to do anything! I think that some of these are really genuine cries for help and this is the only way they know how to get their money. If I can make a few bucks along the way, I'm all for it. Will let you all know how I go.
Boods

Are u serious! Anyone seeking to be relieved of money by anyone, sight unseen, roulette wise! :D

Good on you bood, helping out a poor prince who is in trouble in his own country ! And you stand to make a good commission for your very little work ! Quick send your bank details to him quick, it might get seized by the new government that is opressing him otherwise ! Lucky, out of everyone in the world, he selected to email YOU

He emailed me too and you are too late boods as he has already put all of his money into my bank account and he said I can keep it and buy as many properties as I like.

Make sure none of ya's get caught by the so called free sony ericson lap top promotion :rolleyes: scam, that's doing the email rounds at the moment.
Be sure to warn your kiddies in particular that its dodgy as...

We got a similar thing on a mobile yesterday - sms congratulating us that we had won $123k - all we had to do was reply to the sms confirming that was our phone number......yeah no - delete!

Cheers
Stella

I've never received any of those sorts of emails. You guys must put your email addresses into some dodgy sites :p

I NEVER get spam as I am always very careful (have had account for years), but this CommBank one got to me as well. Very surprised and curious to how it got leaked.

If someone use a legitimate company's name & logo, why isn't there some laws to nail them. Last time when optus traced an email contains virus (don't know how) sent from my account they suspended my account. Even if these scammers are in russia or wherever, there must be something can be done !

He emailed me too and you are too late boods as he has already put all of his money into my bank account and he said I can keep it and buy as many properties as I like.

It turns out that I'm not too late, and all I have to do is send a small amount of money to them, they reckon $10,000 should do it, to enable them to process the required paperwork. In return I get $15,000,000 US! Not a bad return on my $10,000!

Boods

Back