Schapelle Corby - Guilty or not ?

Ricardo29 said:
yes, no, or perhaps ???
or...who cares?

There was a large discussion on his back in May, (when she was sentenced). Then, I thought she was innocent, but now I'm not so convinced — perhaps it's the lack of media coverage now... Things just don't fit right. :confused:

yeah sorry if repeating, wasnt around in may.
just noticed on the news the brother getting dragged away....i always thought she was covering for him personally.
(my sister would throw me at em "he did it he did it".....)
theres just something about it all...and joanne lees as well!!

Following is a response from the ABC re my criticism of their coverage of Van Nguyen.

Dear Bruce

Thank you for your email of 4 December.

While noting your concerns, the ABC stands by its reporting of the issues surrounding Van Nguyen. The ABC's coverage of his arrest, imprisonment and execution has been fair, balanced and comprehensive, across television, radio and online encompassing a broad range of perspectives over time.

In the ABC's view, the matter of an Australian citizen executed in a foreign country is considered highly newsworthy and in the public interest.

Nevertheless, please be assured that your concerns have been brought to the attention of ABC News and Current Affairs. For your reference, our Code of Practice is available at: http://www.abc.net.au/corp/codeprac04.htm

Yours sincerely

Denise Musto
Audience & Consumer Affairs

>
>Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
>Bruce on Sunday, December 04, 2005 at 08:12:50
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>From: http://www.abc.net.au/news/contact.htm
>
>comments: I note the ABC has been one of the big players in pushing the
>pro Van Nguyen story. I wonder what the motivation of the ABC is in
>relation to this. You have been heavy in criticism of the government not
>doing enough to save Van, and to my mind, it is just another example of
>ABC bias against the Coalition government.
>
>If you do not now pick up the story of the Bali 9, and fall over
>yourselves backwards blaming Indonesia of the same things you did
>Singapore, and carrying on about how reformed and repentent the Bali 9 now
>are, then your hypocricy, inconsistency, and emotionalism will be obvious
>to all. Further, if you do not adopt a similar righteously indignant
>stance with all future convicted Aussie drug smugglers, then the
>transparency of the Van beat up will be all the more obvious, and will
>stick in my mind forever more.
>
>However, I seriously doubt you will manipulate the emotions of the
>Australian public by distorting the Bali 9 story. I think you know you can
>only manipulate the public so much before Compassion Fatigue sets in.
>
>Whatever your treatment of the Bali 9 becomes, I am not as upset by your
>political bias and attempts at social engineering as I used to be. The
>more extreme and inconsistent the ABC is in such attempts, the more it
>backfires, as it pushes emotionally mature swinging voters over onto the
>side of the Coalition.
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>HTTP_REFERER: http://abc.net.au/news/contact.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think The Corby Clan are trying to take a leaf out of the Lesley case.Quiet and Respectful

Trying to be quiet and show some respect for the Indonesian Legal system.
Unfortunatley l reckon they are a bit late.They were very public and loud earlier on, and they cannot take that back now.

Quilty or Not She is not comming home for a long long long time.

Sorry people. We can be on very shaky ground here.

In a few posts, there's been names, or family positions, mentioned, with perhaps an implication of guilt or otherwise.

I'm extremely uncomfortable with that sort of post, it could get the forum into trouble. Please be careful.

monoply said:
She doesnt look a drug dealer...

[Geoffw: bits removed]

What does a drug dealer look like? Well this was answered in a police talk at our local school - they look just like your friends and acquaintances and many of the biggies are business people.

The police also added that the person most likely to inytroduce a newbie to drugs is a friend.

Surprised me too, I thought they would look at least a bit seedy, but apparently most don't.

Not again!

Please not another thread on this topic! :eek:

If you want opinions, read the threads that were discussed in May.

In the end, what's the point of discussing this? What do you think you know that the judges don't?

yadreamin said:
I personally think The Corby Clan are trying to take a leaf out of the Lesley case.Quiet and Respectful

I was VERY impressed with the Leslie people, they managed that thing immensely well.. some great lessons there.

Some of us weren't around in May so surely we're allowed to contribute our thoughts on this topic now?

If you look in the T.V guide and see that a repeat of last years ice hockey game is on for the 4th time do you watch it? Of course you don't. So when you see the topic is Schapelle Corby why read it and THEN feel compelled to add 'Oh here we go again' ? Just don't even click on it.

I for one don't believe she's guilty, I believe that the person sitting in a Brisbane gaol as of last night is! Karma..and the things we do for our family...

I'm not inciting an arguement by writing this post and am not having a 'go' at anyone specifically so please noone take personal offence, I just believe we all have our right to express our opinions now without having people say 'Go look back to May's forum' and what write a post there?

:) Maggie

I care :)

Whether she did it or not - from a humanistic point of view I feel very sad for her that either by her own decisions or circumstances beyond her control she is now in this position.

We may never know the truth either.

20 years in an appalling bali jail will see her turn 47 in jail.

By this time her chance of marrying, having children, having a life will be well and truly be over and she will never recover.

I am not saying that people should not be punished for breaking the laws in relevant countries and clearly people need to learn from the numerous recent examples of the Bali Nine, Schappelle, Michelle Leslie, & Van Ngyuen, but I still cant help feeling very sad for the lives that are being ruined here.

The Bali 9 mules risked their lives for $10k! A pot of gold in their eyes!

I mean lets put it into perspective, those responsible for the first Bali Bombing have now been released from Jail. And they had a direct proven hand in causing the loss of many lives.

The next step we will all have to face is the fact that on the basis of probability the Bali 9 will face the firing squad - sadder times ahead.

Anyway, just a few of my thoughts

Maggie said:
Some of us weren't around in May so surely we're allowed to contribute our thoughts on this topic now?
If you look in the T.V guide and see that a repeat of last years ice hockey game is on for the 4th time do you watch it? Of course you don't. So when you see the topic is Schapelle Corby why read it and THEN feel compelled to add 'Oh here we go again' ? Just don't even click on it.

I'm not inciting an arguement by writing this post and am not having a 'go' at anyone specifically so please no-one take personal offence, I just believe we all have our right to express our opinions now without having people say 'Go look back to May's forum' and what write a post there?
:) Maggie
You go Girl!!...... :D

I'ys like's a sheila with a bit of spunk, congrats on your 1st post :D

BF ;)

Maggie, have a look at the 2 main threads from April/May which had a lot of debate:

Aussie drug dealers (alleged)

Corby sentenced to 20 years.....

I believe she's technically guilty. The biggest thing for me was that she actually admitted to owning the weed to the customs officer. Of course she later denied saying that.

Taken from The Age

10 pieces of evidence that went against her:

1. The vacuum-sealed marijuana was in a boogie board bag that Corby admitted owning.

2. Customs official Gusti Nyoman Winata said he asked Corby to open the bag, but she unzipped only a front pocket. "When I opened it a bit, she said: 'No'," Mr Winata said. "I asked: 'Why?', and she said: 'I have some,' and looked confused." Mr Winata added that she blocked his hand to stop him opening the main zip.

3. Corby disputed Mr Winata's version, but there was no CCTV system in operation to support her denial.

4. A second customs official said Corby admitted owning the drugs.

5. Corby failed to notice the bag's extra weight. Her excuse was that the bag's handle had been broken on the way to Bali, meaning she had to drag it.

6. While Australian baggage handlers have since been linked to an airport cocaine-smuggling ring, which was in operation on the date Corby flew to Bali, there has never been any suggestion or evidence of them trafficking marijuana.

7. A drug dealer employing baggage handlers would be highly unlikely to smuggle four kilograms of marijuana into Brisbane airport and then into a stranger's bag, just to send it on to Sydney. Such a task would further require another handler at Sydney to sneak it out of the bag and hide it while attempting to get it out of the airport. As road haulage experts have confirmed, smug-glers could avoid this by sending it by road.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

8. Prosecutors claim the plastic bag was the same size and shape as the boogie board bag, suggesting it had been organised to fit, as opposed to being stuffed in by someone else, such as baggage handlers.

9. Hydroponic marijuana is highly sought after among cashed-up expatriates and tourists in Bali.

10. Had Corby been aware of the drugs and had her bag been properly secured with a padlock, there would have been no chance of her claiming that the marijuana had been planted in her bag.

Corsa said:
I mean lets put it into perspective, those responsible for the first Bali Bombing have now been released from Jail. And they had a direct proven hand in causing the loss of many lives.

The next step we will all have to face is the fact that on the basis of probability the Bali 9 will face the firing squad - sadder times ahead.

I think you'll find that the Bali bombers are on death row. Yes, the crap will hit the fan if the Bali 9 are sentenced to death - very sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
She's guilty becuase a legitimately constituted court in a country found her guilty. That's the definition here too - she was inncocent until the judges pronounced their verdict.

She's also guilty because she possessed (i.e. owned and was carrying a bag which contained) illegal drugs. That's a crime here too.

Without even entering into a pointless debate as to whether she was a dealer, an unwitting mule or a victim of corruption, she basically got the same treatment (although not sentence) as she would have gotten here.

And her sentence was increased because the appeal court found that the original court had misclassified the drug as it appears under Indonesian law.

Quiggles,

Kudos coming your way! I wish I could have put it as succinctly and eloquently.

Doh, I just bumped this thread... ;)

Cheers,
Michael.

MichaelWhyte said:
Kudos coming your way! I wish I could have put it as succinctly and eloquently.

Yes, spot on Quiggles.

Also I think the best chance Corby has is if she is allowed to serve her prison time back in Australia.

MichaelWhyte said:
Doh, I just bumped this thread... ;)

Oh no, not after a whole ... 28 minutes ... of inactivity! :eek: :D

Back