School zones Investments

Whilst not new strategy, I thought it is worth while bringing it up again given the news brought up about how to "save" half a million dollars for the family by buying houses in top school catchment areas:

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/re...e-half-a-million-dollars-20150121-12s1m2.html

This is based on report that it costs 500K per kid to send them to private school from young to year 12:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...-sydneys-private-schools-20150119-12taha.html

500K is a lot, enough to buy a house in most of Australia. Whilst I haven't been to private school before, and I am sure that there are benefits on private, however I cannot see justification personally spending that much on private when you can simply go to good public school without spending that much amount. Most importantly, you can borrow at low interest rates to buy houses in good catchment areas, you would need a personal loan (higher interest rates) to fund private school education.

I agree,

As a school principal I'm always 'arguing' school zoning with prospective parents so its one of the first things I look at when considering an IP.

Realestate agents often drive house-hunters past my school and point out what a lovely school it is, knowing full well that the houses in the 'Kath n Kim' estate down the road aren't within our zone.

Parents then rock up to enrol their kids after they've purchased, expecting to be automatic entry when they're zoned elsewhere. :(

Allgood

Yawn, must be slow news day.

Whilst not new strategy, I thought it is worth while bringing it up again given the news brought up about how to "save" half a million dollars for the family by buying houses in top school catchment areas:

I'd take that 500k figure as a grain of salt. The folks who done the calculation has a vested interest to create shock/horror/comedy values. Off topic, a family friend somehow signed themselves up to ASG and started selling their ware, my parents got hassled big time by this so-called "friend" and they buckled and bought one of those "investments". Then we bumped into the said family friend one day, trying to get us to sign our second kid up to the "investment" (I'd use this term loosely) and ended up being a 30 minutes debacle on the street with them. They're like Tupperware/Amway/Usana :)D) ladies on steroids.

Or you could go to a public school, spend time helping your child with their homereading while your cooking dinner and help them develop good study habits, then invest the $500 each week for their future. :D

Back