Scope and Suggestion for Longterm Investing in Sydney area

People,

I'm looking to invest in Sydney area for a long term Capital Gain IP and perhaps moving on to the property as PPOR few years on.

so based on further browsing on the internet and this forum, here is my summary of findings to limit the scope of the area for invest:

Arncliffe, Blacktown, Harris Park, Auburn and Canterbury are examples of areas undergoing gentrification in the next 5 years.

I see them now as at pre-gentrification stage or very early stage
Arncliffe and Canterbury will become like Earlwood and Dulwich Hill that is the middle of gentrification stage right now.

3 years ago nobody like Earlwood.

Blacktown (known as high crime area) will be like the Hills District
Harris Park and Auburn (old area) close to 2nd CBD Parramatta is like Arncliffe and Canterbury close to City CBD.

Also the westconnex project make them more desirable in the future.

Please correct me if I'm wrong or if anyone here knows if I have missed on anything important.

I think you have identified some interesting areas, however I doubt Blacktown will ever be anything like the hills and can't see Auburn becoming desirable for many years to come.

Hi JohnHenry,
Great thoughts there. I think they are all sound but I'd probably be a little less keen on Auburn, it just doesn't feel appealing to me, maybe it's the ethnic vibe I get from there. (Sorry!!). All the rest get the thumbs up from me though. I think Blacktown has potential - not far from Parramatta, on the main train line. And if Seven Hills/Quakers Hill/Pendle Hill/Girraween etc is becoming out of reach, Blacktown is there.
Ditto Harris Park, very cheap for no great reason compared to Parramatta. Arncliff - good choice, not much is affordable in the wider area and there's no reason why it should be cheaper.

Hurlstown Park may already be considered "gentrified" so Canterbury is a sound choice. Perhaps Canterbury is also "gentrified" though? I bought in Greenacre about 5 years ago because I figured when the east becomes too expensive, demand will flow out to the Canterbury - Bankstown area. Seems to be true and Muslims have community there and they are staying and buying there, causing a lot of demand. I just wish I bought walking distance to a train!

I wanna add Campsie to the list for gentrification. If Canterbury is partway gentrified, Campsie is the next station. I think there's nothing wrong with it! Buy now, enjoy later!

I think you have identified some interesting areas, however I doubt Blacktown will ever be anything like the hills and can't see Auburn becoming desirable for many years to come.
Thanks Phiber, I just wanted to get some opinion from fellow investor here if my choices are sound and correct before hunting for the IP for the next few months around those area.

i'd look at hurlstone park before canterbury. Dulwich hill has done well, alot planned for canterbury, hurlstone park sits smack bang in the middle.
Cool, I?ll consider that for the next area to be observed. Initially I was looking around Bexley, Kingsgrove and Beverly Hills but they are already expensive and I can?t afford to get into those area for under $1m for a house.

Hi JohnHenry,
Great thoughts there. I think they are all sound but I'd probably be a little less keen on Auburn, it just doesn't feel appealing to me, maybe it's the ethnic vibe I get from there. (Sorry!!). All the rest get the thumbs up from me though. I think Blacktown has potential - not far from Parramatta, on the main train line. And if Seven Hills/Quakers Hill/Pendle Hill/Girraween etc is becoming out of reach, Blacktown is there.
Ditto Harris Park, very cheap for no great reason compared to Parramatta. Arncliff - good choice, not much is affordable in the wider area and there's no reason why it should be cheaper.
Hurlstown Park may already be considered "gentrified" so Canterbury is a sound choice. Perhaps Canterbury is also "gentrified" though? I bought in Greenacre about 5 years ago because I figured when the east becomes too expensive, demand will flow out to the Canterbury - Bankstown area. Seems to be true and Muslims have community there and they are staying and buying there, causing a lot of demand. I just wish I bought walking distance to a train!
Gockie, thanks for suggesting Seven Hills, I?ve never been to that far. But I?ll check that one out, hopefully when the Westconnex and the Northwest train project finished, the CG increase is significant.
Yes, I agree, that?s why I?m planning for IP only for those high ethnic vibe area like Auburn and Arncliffe. Who knows somewhere in the future after 10-15 years later those people spread out to other areas which give more diversity.

Exactly my view.

Thanks for the affirmaton mate.

Who would've thought that Blacktown will become a profitable area like Kellyvile used to be.

I should've sell my IP in Wollongong area and then bought one in Parramatta on 2012. But yes that was then, there is no time machine to do that.

Go arncliffe mate.

ive lived here for almost 5 years. i saw your vision of change, only 5 years ago :)

Arncliffe station is getting a slick new upgrade soon as well. :))))

You have wolli creek going bannanas with apartments, this will bring nice shops and a modernfeel.

i wouldnt worry about the lebanese here. most will sell over the next 5-10 years as they cash in i would say.

Also , we are close to the airport. with NO plane noise. when i hear a plane (rare) im like oh theres a plane, thats odd.

banksia is nice too. There are some lovelly streets on the coastal side of forest road that remind me of nice north shore type streets. nice and quiet too and no 'lebos' on that side.

good luck.

Back