Scott Ludlam - new generation politician!

Wow.....I am not a fan of the Greens...but this guy is absolutely spot on...his speech has gone viral....

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ost-empty-room-goes-viral-20140306-348zx.html

Tony Abbott, Scott Morrison, Joe Hockey, Julie Bishop, and Warren Truss...better watch out....they are looking like Wise Guys from the New Jersey mafia.

My only complaint...how come this guy comes out of WA...where are leaders like this from NSW and VIC???

Will be interesting what happens in WA....

Last edited by a moderator:
"A generation of people priced out of housing" -

seriously;
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-wa-pelican+point-112969987

Not yer dream location or house, but who can buy the dream house as a first up? Noone.

No; you buy what is affordable, as close to your desired location - as possible. Been done that way since my parent's parents were teenagers and beyond.

It was the same for my generation too; I couldn't afford the 4x2 with DLUG close to everything, or the 3x2 apartment on top of the cafe strip with security off street parking, lifts and City views when I was 22 either - it's just not fair.

"Show up showing your homophobia" - say again? Not supporting gay marriage doesn't make him homophobic.

"Where the drought never ended, where Climate Change from land clearing and from fossile fuel combustion is a lived reality" - Has he ever driven from SA border across to Perth, and/or up the middle of WA from say; Esperance - nothing but almost nothing for a million square miles, and has been that way for milennia.

"Cripple the independence of the ABC" - turn it up; you can't get a job or even a hearing on the station if you are from the Conservative Right.

"Cripple the independence of the ABC" - turn it up; you can't get a job or even a hearing on the station if you are from the Conservative Right.

Yes it's about time the Govt took to the ABC and evened things up a bit.

Better still, privatise it !

Independant my left eye.

"A generation of people priced out of housing" -

seriously;
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-wa-pelican+point-112969987

Not the greatest example as one can't even live there (love how they sell vacancy as a feature for you to have a 2 wks holiday there). And as an investment, <5% yield and likely management costs and risks if the corporate tenant pulls out it has lemon written all over it.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-wa-mandurah-115877879 costs about 60% more but looks about 10 times better as an investment or first home. It should also still be affordable to those on modest incomes.

went viral? really? where? on twitter? university intranets?

These people are the loony left. This guy is only preaching to the extremist fringe.
Not mainstream Australian, as labor found out, the hard way.

Well over 300k people watched it I 24 hours and an article on it was the 4th highest read across the entire The Guardian network including US, UK and Australia with half the readers coming from the US so yes, I probably would consider that going viral unless I misunderstand the term

A global media organisation pushing its own article and agenda?
the definition of 'gone viral' must have changed.
good one.

Well over 300k people watched it I 24 hours and an article on it was the 4th highest read across the entire The Guardian network including US, UK and Australia with half the readers coming from the US so yes, I probably would consider that going viral unless I misunderstand the term

No. I think you've pretty much covered that it has met the definition of going viral.

Now, how about we move on to what was actually said in the speech instead of pedantically picking at reasons why the internet doesn't matter or inane conspiracy theories.

Very emotive.....not surprising really from our Scotty boy.

This guy is fighting for his political life....and on a hiding to nowhere.

A few undisputed facts wouldn't go astray, rather than the hyperbole spewing forth from a Senator that is just about to get kicked out.

1. This guy failed to retain his seat at the Sept 7 election, with the initial count.

2. It was only after the AEC lost the 1,370 votes that a recount was ordered.

3. The result from that recount saw Dio Wang from Palmer United Party and Louise Pratt from Labor dumped in favour of Scott Ludlam from Greens and Wayne Dropulich from Sports Enthusiasts Party elected. But then the High Court stepped in and ruled the whole lot were a joke. Go back and do it again.

4. WA is more Liberal and anti-Green than any other state in the country, except Qld.

5. The Green vote slumped nationally from 11.76% in 2010 back down into single figures to 8.65% in 2013.

6. The Green vote slumped in WA from 13.13% in 2010 back down into single figures to just 9.74% in 2013.

7. The Liberals in WA during Sept 2013 received 47.3% of the primary vote, by far the highest in the nation.

This Greens Senator who is about to be dumped is having his last hurrah. He voted for both the Carbon Tax and the Mining Tax, both extremely unpopular here in WA. So much so, the Labor member for Perth spoke to her Labor buddies in Canberra just last week to drop their Senate blocking resistance to repeal the Mining Tax.

She knows how unpopular the Mining Tax here in WA. It's job destroying and confidence destroying. She knows both the Greens and Labor are on the nose here in WA. Labor only got 28.76% of the vote in Sept 2013. Ouch !!

They (Bill Shorten and co) told her to sit down and shut up.

Labor (and the Greens) are acutely aware that this is a Senate only election, so the 3 lower house Labor members here in WA don't need the support of the Greens to get them over the line. Their second Labor Senator (Louise Pratt) is under huge threat. Labor's # 1 on their Senate ticket - Joe Bullock - the old union boss is assured of a Senate seat....joy.

Expect Labor to dump the Greens to bolster Pratt's chances. Their cosy deal is off the table. Should make it interesting !!

My quietly confident prediction of the upcoming fresh Senate vote in WA will see the following 6 Senators returned to Canberra come July 1st ;

Liberals - 3
Labor - 2
Palmer United - 1

In the coming 4 weeks, we'll be bombarded with fervent speeches just like this, from all sides of politics, but at the end of the day that number configuration won't change.

What certainly won't change is the Australian Govt. If you don't like Tony Abbott or the coalition in charge, sit back and relax, you're in for a very long journey.

What will change in the very near future ??

1. This Greens Senator will be kicked out.

2. SA will finally dump Labor and elect a new Liberal led Govt to commence getting that basket case economy back on track.

3. Tasmania will finally dump this Green led Labor Govt they've had for over a decade. Given the Greens influence for so long down there, I don't see the Tasmanian economy recovering any time soon. It will require massive GST propping up like it is currently getting for some time yet.

It will be wall to wall Liberal Govts throughout the land, except for the ACT.

That'll get the twitter and facebook world into a hyperspin. No "going viral" needed.

A global media organisation pushing its own article and agenda?
the definition of 'gone viral' must have changed.
good one.

No, you are the one changing the definition
It has been discussed on 3 different forums I'm on including this one, is all Iver various forms of social media and has been viewed by hundreds of thousands of people. Don't let the fact that you don't like this guy cloud your judgement, this absolutely has gone viral.

How did you know that I was the last "King of Scotland" ? As Idi Amin says...give Dazz the Red Carpet treatment!

...my response is lets see.....Gina Rinehart saying that people are not working hard enough is not going to go well. Besides why should large Mining multinationals not pay their fair share of taxes.....

I agree the Carbon Tax is not good policy.....

Lets see what other policies the current Mafia has in store.....as for SA going libs can't see it after Libs pulled the plug on Holden without a back-up plan....what they don't get is it is fine to cut jobs but what plans are in place to help the people put out of work. This is the group who will vote against the libs...at the next election...particularly if they don't have jobs or in jobs which pay 50% less. ;)

Very emotive.....not surprising really from our Scotty boy.

This guy is fighting for his political life....and on a hiding to nowhere.

A few undisputed facts wouldn't go astray, rather than the hyperbole spewing forth from a Senator that is just about to get kicked out.

1. This guy failed to retain his seat at the Sept 7 election, with the initial count.

2. It was only after the AEC lost the 1,370 votes that a recount was ordered.

3. The result from that recount saw Dio Wang from Palmer United Party and Louise Pratt from Labor dumped in favour of Scott Ludlam from Greens and Wayne Dropulich from Sports Enthusiasts Party elected. But then the High Court stepped in and ruled the whole lot were a joke. Go back and do it again.

4. WA is more Liberal and anti-Green than any other state in the country, except Qld.

5. The Green vote slumped nationally from 11.76% in 2010 back down into single figures to 8.65% in 2013.

6. The Green vote slumped in WA from 13.13% in 2010 back down into single figures to just 9.74% in 2013.

7. The Liberals in WA during Sept 2013 received 47.3% of the primary vote, by far the highest in the nation.

This Greens Senator who is about to be dumped is having his last hurrah. He voted for both the Carbon Tax and the Mining Tax, both extremely unpopular here in WA. So much so, the Labor member for Perth spoke to her Labor buddies in Canberra just last week to drop their Senate blocking resistance to repeal the Mining Tax.

She knows how unpopular the Mining Tax here in WA. It's job destroying and confidence destroying. She knows both the Greens and Labor are on the nose here in WA. Labor only got 28.76% of the vote in Sept 2013. Ouch !!

They (Bill Shorten and co) told her to sit down and shut up.

Labor (and the Greens) are acutely aware that this is a Senate only election, so the 3 lower house Labor members here in WA don't need the support of the Greens to get them over the line. Their second Labor Senator (Louise Pratt) is under huge threat. Labor's # 1 on their Senate ticket - Joe Bullock - the old union boss is assured of a Senate seat....joy.

Expect Labor to dump the Greens to bolster Pratt's chances. Their cosy deal is off the table. Should make it interesting !!

My quietly confident prediction of the upcoming fresh Senate vote in WA will see the following 6 Senators returned to Canberra come July 1st ;

Liberals - 3
Labor - 2
Palmer United - 1

In the coming 4 weeks, we'll be bombarded with fervent speeches just like this, from all sides of politics, but at the end of the day that number configuration won't change.

What certainly won't change is the Australian Govt. If you don't like Tony Abbott or the coalition in charge, sit back and relax, you're in for a very long journey.

What will change in the very near future ??

1. This Greens Senator will be kicked out.

2. SA will finally dump Labor and elect a new Liberal led Govt to commence getting that basket case economy back on track.

3. Tasmania will finally dump this Green led Labor Govt they've had for over a decade. Given the Greens influence for so long down there, I don't see the Tasmanian economy recovering any time soon. It will require massive GST propping up like it is currently getting for some time yet.

It will be wall to wall Liberal Govts throughout the land, except for the ACT.

That'll get the twitter and facebook world into a hyperspin. No "going viral" needed.

...my response is lets see.....Gina Rinehart saying that people are not working hard enough is not going to go well. Besides why should large Mining multinationals not pay their fair share of taxes.....

Well - we are a pretty lazy bunch because welfare is so easy ... but that's not the jist of what she said.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national...-says-welfare-recipients-sending-us-into-debt

What she was getting at is that the welfare mentality is sending the country broke ... which is completely true. I cannot understand why we have such a generous Family Benefit payment for those on middle income - and baby bonuses - and all the other related handouts.

Also, as a working force we are overly dependant on a "job" supplied by someone else, instead of getting off our backsides and being innovative and proactive.

Imagine where the country would be if the government had ploughed the "prop up the car industry" billions into innovative research and building of fuel efficient vehicles - or medical research - or renewable energy.

OK let me ask a couple of questions:

1. Do you think there are enough full time jobs that pay well above the Dole? Let not debate that people will work irregardless...but actual jobs

2. Do you think that significant portion of people on the Dole have either poor skills or literacy?

3. Do you think that there is a very Ageist culture in Australia?

4. Does the government actively make investments in regional areas - i.e. moving government jobs to country?

5. What do you propose to do with the down trodden, depressed mob? Cut their benefits....fancy getting hit over the head for a few dollars...or worse still stabbed or shot like America or South Africa??

By the way you last point is very valid....the Howard govt simply pissed up the savings on middle class welfare....and labor continued this insane policy!

The guys who did the real nation building reforms were Hawke and Keating.

Howard and Costello were so concerned about having a surplus...they forgot some of the basics like investing in infrastructure. The labor govt in NSW in 90s was also dismal....too many sons of goat herders who got into parliament and used it to trade favours for their own benefit.

Well - we are a pretty lazy bunch because welfare is so easy ... but that's not the jist of what she said.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national...-says-welfare-recipients-sending-us-into-debt

What she was getting at is that the welfare mentality is sending the country broke ... which is completely true. I cannot understand why we have such a generous Family Benefit payment for those on middle income - and baby bonuses - and all the other related handouts.

Also, as a working force we are overly dependant on a "job" supplied by someone else, instead of getting off our backsides and being innovative and proactive.

Imagine where the country would be if the government had ploughed the "prop up the car industry" billions into innovative research and building of fuel efficient vehicles - or medical research - or renewable energy.

I agree ...

... there is an ageist culture ... some people are simply unemployable ... most on the dole have poor skills and (more importantly) faith in themselves and self esteem ... all levels of government don't invest enough in regional areas ...

I think you will find that Gina (and myself) are referring to middle class welfare, baby bonuses, the proposed maternity leave and so forth,

As such, I am also a believer in "work for the dole" where the work is skill learning and meaningful (even if that skill is just the ability to turn up on time in a presentable manner).

I also believe that child support should cap at child #3 ... although I don't agree with cutting the benefit when the child starts school.

The list could go on ...

Well looks like we agree on 90% of things.....

1. The ageism is shocking...one way is to give small tax rebate say $5000 to hire older workers. Also works out cheaper for govt as less benefits are paid.

2. Don't get me started on middle class welfare. This is the single most destructive policty introduced by Howard! It is now costing a bomb people on decent wages. Now they are tlaking about taking from the old beeddies...take it from middle class people. The threshold is too high...set it down to say $70k for a familty!

3. Agree on the work for the dole so long as it is not abused.

4. Child care benefit should be extended to say when the child reaches 5 or6. After that the mommies need to get a part-time job! Again a Howard policy to hide the number of job vacancies. By taking some women with children out of the workforce...this helped bring down dole queues.

I agree ...

... there is an ageist culture ... some people are simply unemployable ... most on the dole have poor skills and (more importantly) faith in themselves and self esteem ... all levels of government don't invest enough in regional areas ...

I think you will find that Gina (and myself) are referring to middle class welfare, baby bonuses, the proposed maternity leave and so forth,

As such, I am also a believer in "work for the dole" where the work is skill learning and meaningful (even if that skill is just the ability to turn up on time in a presentable manner).

I also believe that child support should cap at child #3 ... although I don't agree with cutting the benefit when the child starts school.

The list could go on ...

.....as for SA going libs can't see it after Libs pulled the plug on Holden without a back-up plan....

Libs only need between 3 and 6 seats to win and polls predict at least 11 will be comfortably won.

And we could well see Labor lose even more seats than that.

Btw... most people were in support of Libs not providing anymore welfare payments to Holdens.

Look at it this way... how would those in struggling industries, or who fear that they could one day lose their jobs, feel that no one is prepared to bail them out??

There are more of these businesses and people around than Holdens workers.

At the end of the day people are worried about themselves, their families, their livelihood and their future, not the 'special' Holdens worker or Holdens whose cars they stopped buying long ago ;).

Don't believe everything Bill Shorten from the union, or Jay4SA tell you.

I have always said that a car industry in OZ is not viable. What I am saying is that with that many jobs and jobs that rely on Holden workers going this may tip a no hoper Labour govt the edge.

What the libs are doing at a national level is causing discomfort among the public. A lot of these people are not the most edumacated...they don't understand things like Comparative Advantage or Unit costs...all they understand is that their mates job went overseas to China.

They will carry on about how superior Holdens are compared to Chinese built or Korean cars...without understanding the rate of defects or per unit build costs.

This will then be the govt responsibility and before you know it the Libs will take the blame. In this case libs have some accountability as they have not put plan in place to help the Holden displaced...some jaw boning but that is it.

There are more of these businesses and people around than Holdens workers.

At the end of the day people are worried about themselves, their families, their livelihood and their future, not the 'special' Holdens worker or Holdens whose cars they stopped buying long ago ;).

Don't believe everything Bill Shorten from the union, or Jay4SA tell you.

Back