Scuffs and scratches to polished floorboards

My recently vacated tenants have left the polished timber floors looking a bit scuffed and scratched. They have held up pretty good till these tenants.

There are some scratches which would cut all the way through the poly to the timber (but not gauged), the rest seem to be scratches and scuffing to the poly - from what I can see in photos.

It would detract to some degree from the floor, not sure if it warrants a full redo now or I put money claimed from tenants aside till it gets a bit more scuffed. I could go to the effort now and find the next tenants do the same as the last! :eek:

Is there only one way to fix the floor - sand bare all over and reapply poly, or a light sand only for adhesion in good areas and a harder sand to remove scratches in others? Would this leave some areas darker than others? I realise sanding reduces the thickness of the floorboards (hardwood, not cypress), but is it all that much in this situation where boards are good other than the scuffs and scratches. Would not like to do this too often.

Can half a room be done as in the dining end of the kitchen/dining? Never had any floors polished before! Will the skirting paint be damaged (and need to be claimed as well), or can they protect it?

Any ideas on price, I have not obtained quotes for doing this to a house for many years (which was $18.50m sand and polish) - total floor area including hall is about 33 m2 if all flooring was redone. I am guessing half a room would stand out, the hall might escape as norrow boundary to the rest.

Redcliffe Peninsula area if anyone can recommend anyone, my PM agency seems clueless in arranging trades, been waiting 8 weeks for a garden maintenance quote, a floor sander/polisher will be in the very hard pile :mad:.

Thanks

I think you will be hard pressed to get anything from a tenant for the damage you've described. My parents once had some major gouges and took the tenants to the tribunal for other issues. They got nothing for the floors, but they got the whole of the bond, so there was nothing left to take.

We've since coloured them with some stain to lessen the "in your face" shock of seeing big sections where the floor is completely gouged.

We don't bother doing the floors in any house. The next tenant is likely to scratch the new floor. We tend to try to disguise as best we can and then if we decide to sell the house, that is when we would redo them.

Back