seaford vic gaining?

Hmmmm, but a lot move out this way too.

There are at least three of us mums at kinder who have done St Kilda, Murrumbeena, Oakleigh, Springvale, Noble Park shifts. We reckon we'll be fine as long as we don't end up in Narre Warren.

I disagree with a few of your points you make here pickle pickle:

My partner took the nepean hwy to city this morning in 35 minutes (she drives on or slower than the speed limit). Yes sunday morning the roads are empty but provided its not peak either eastlink or nepean will get you to the cbd under 40 mins from seaford. Even so there is no need to travel to Melbourne for necessities, Seaford and Frankston have all the services you need. (other than perhaps a workplace)

Agree to an extent - train line was only %65 ontime for the last month which is the worst in Melb. Frankston line has been shocking since Metro took over but was relatively good under Connex. We definitely need a better express service (express from Mordialloc?) and not to have the Siemans trains used on express runs.

3. As spiderman says, not being a surf beach is more appealing to many, particularly families and the elderly. Seaford/Frankston beaches have often been rated the best beaches in Melbourne. It sounds like you grew up in NSW or QLD - the definition of a beach isnt that it needs to have a surf break. And yes it would be impossible to surf at Seaford/Frankston. But where else can you watch the sunset over water on the east coast of Australia?? In fact we are laughing at them

Finally I still cant understand how Dandenong and Springvale can have a higher median house prices than Seaford and Frankston. Seriously who would prefer to live/invest in either of those suburbs? Is there an attraction in these two suburbs that im missing?

I live in Seaford and hope to some time in the near future acquire an ip in the area too. I purchased here after living in Mulgrave and then Mentone and to be honest I can't see why anyone would even think about living in narre/nble pk/dandy/mulgrave etc as soon as I saw what seaford had to offer my mind was made up on the spot. Why? Because:

- Living in Mentone it opened my eyes up to the lifestyle on the bay - it can't be beat.
- Driving to the cbd from seaford on eastlink/monash off peak only 30 mins:11 mins to monash fwy and 20 mins monash to kings way. Negligible difference amongst all of the suburbs I mentioned earlier including Mentone.
- Catch triple express train in the morning to cbd 45 minutes. To get to the cbd from mulgrave must drive monash for nearly an hour or drive to station, park and train it in. In Seaford, I walk to station, read paper and i'm there in the same time but much more relaxed. (Mentone however obviously better here).
- With house prices on the rise just watch Frankston turn into a mini cbd all on its own and I will be on its doorstep.
- Surf beach? Who the hell in Melbourne wants a surf beach you can only use the surf beach for one thing and that is obviously surfing. Swimming, which is what most people use the beach for, can be done in the bay nearly anytime. Take the kids down there and relax without the enormous waves and winds from the ocean. And if anyone tries to suggest seaford will not benefit from being beachside because the beach isn't an ocean explain to me the demand for beachside properties north of bonbeach?????????

So there is my decision making process as a purchaser. Yes i'm biased etc etc etc and the fact that seaford is cheaper than some of the other suburbs is also a factor but I could afford to have bought in all of them except mentone and i'd pick seaford 1st every time. I have another two school friends who have also bought in the area now all in our low 30s and we all thought alike so take that as a sign of things to come in my opinion!

anyones thoughts here on properties very close to beach.

seems like more of these hard to get close to beach properties being listed prior to the spring selling session.

just when i thought the market was flat?

also do we think is it a good time to buy or sell in the seaford area with the uncertain election result & current govermentt status?

do we think some long term holders are now listing property for sale?

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-seaford-106787041

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-seaford-106784996

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-seaford-106772381

I
- Living in Mentone it opened my eyes up to the lifestyle on the bay - it can't be beat.
- Driving to the cbd from seaford on eastlink/monash off peak only 30 mins:11 mins to monash fwy and 20 mins monash to kings way. Negligible difference amongst all of the suburbs I mentioned earlier including Mentone.
- Catch triple express train in the morning to cbd 45 minutes.
- Surf beach? Who the hell in Melbourne wants a surf beach you can only use the surf beach for one thing and that is obviously surfing.

Mate,
You are reading my mind!!! Agree with every word!

Now, I’m going to play devils advocate and explain why Seaford is “not there yet”….

I live in Seaford for 2.5 years, moved from Greensborough.
I see 2 issues with Seaford: People and Schools.

People: Go around the pier area in the summer and you will get my drift. There are plenty of “dodgy brothers” – drunks and junkies, with less than usual teeth allocation. Not all of them are Seaford residents (I presume The Pines people etc) but they can be seen in Seaford.

Schools: I don’t know why people are talking about Patterson River SC zoning etc. Check out the link – they are actually below average.
http://www.myschool.edu.au/Main.asp...ICG0071872501&DEEWRId=14232&CalendarYear=2009

Check their VCE results – quite bad as well.

I don’t know which primary school to send my son the next year. There are no “good” primaries in the area, again check myschool website for reference. Private schools seems to be the only option….

BTW I don’t get it if primary school has 2 grades learning together: 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6. That’s just plain wrong. Small village schools do that because they don’t have enough children in each grade.

Mate,
You are reading my mind!!! Agree with every word!

Now, I’m going to play devils advocate and explain why Seaford is “not there yet”….

I live in Seaford for 2.5 years, moved from Greensborough.
I see 2 issues with Seaford: People and Schools.

People: Go around the pier area in the summer and you will get my drift. There are plenty of “dodgy brothers” – drunks and junkies, with less than usual teeth allocation. Not all of them are Seaford residents (I presume The Pines people etc) but they can be seen in Seaford

Schools: I don’t know why people are talking about Patterson River SC zoning etc. Check out the link – they are actually below average.
http://www.myschool.edu.au/Main.asp...ICG0071872501&DEEWRId=14232&CalendarYear=2009

Check their VCE results – quite bad as well.

I don’t know which primary school to send my son the next year. There are no “good” primaries in the area, again check myschool website for reference. Private schools seems to be the only option….

BTW I don’t get it if primary school has 2 grades learning together: 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6. That’s just plain wrong. Small village schools do that because they don’t have enough children in each grade.

You may not have noticed but Pines people are exactly the same people that live in Seaford they just can't afford the extra $20pw in rent or choose not to spend it

You may not have noticed but Pines people are exactly the same people that live in Seaford they just can't afford the extra $20pw in rent or choose not to spend it

:)

Nope, they're not.
Not in beachside Seaford, in any case. Check rental prices, there is more than 20 bucks difference.

Humble plumbers and sparkies vs professional dole bludgers in Pines.

You can see the difference in Frankston as well. Just count the office plankton getting off the 6 PM train in Seaford and Frankston...

:) You can see the difference in Frankston as well. Just count the office plankton getting off the 6 PM train in Seaford and Frankston...

Seaford and Frankston are two of the cheapest beachside suburbs in capital city Australia. As far as capital gain potentiality goes, I daresay the recent increases are more than sustainable for two reasons:

1. Prices are still well below the greater Melb median
2. Most blocks in Seaford and Frankston are ripe for subdivision.

I cannot tell you about schools and local HSC results. As an investor, these are not things I focus on. I'm more interested in the opportunity for price appreciation. Developers and investors are slowly buying up these two beachside suburbs, thanks to the pro-development Council and the fact that most blocks are deemed "dual occ". In a decades time, over half the old houses in these suburbs will be gone, to be replaced with newer dwellings.

:)

Nope, they're not.
Not in beachside Seaford, in any case. Check rental prices, there is more than 20 bucks difference.

Humble plumbers and sparkies vs professional dole bludgers in Pines.

You can see the difference in Frankston as well. Just count the office plankton getting off the 6 PM train in Seaford and Frankston...

I find those cashed up bogans around Patterson Lakes & Seaford the worst redneck vermin of all. Take a drive around Claude street Seaford and you will see more commision houses than in Frankston Nth. Maybe there are slight nuances on the beach side but take a walk along Seaford beach near the shops or drop into the RIV hotel public bar and you will see the same types.
I have lived in both areas, Seaford Beachside & Frankston North - Same people, both gentrifying at the same speed. BTW, good luck finding a local school for your precious, will be interesting to see what happens when your children come home from school with new friends they have made who come from The Pines.

Last edited:
I find those cashed up bogans around Patterson Lakes & Seaford the worst redneck vermin of all. Take a drive around Claude street Seaford and you will see more commision houses than in Frankston Nth. Maybe there are slight nuances on the beach side but take a walk along Seaford beach near the shops or drop into the RIV hotel public bar and you will see the same types.
I have lived in both areas, Seaford Beachside & Frankston North - Same people, both gentrifying at the same speed. BTW, good luck finding a local school for your precious, will be interesting to see what happens when your children come home from school with new friends they have made who come from The Pines.
Little Charlie will have to travel all the way to Mordialloc or Mt Eliza if you want them to hang around decent types because Frankston, Carrum, Patterson Lakes sure don't cut the mustard.
If I had kids, in my honest opinion I wouldn't send them to school anywhere down that way. Not even the Private Schools, I know alot of John Paul kids who ended up involved in crime or became junkies. Good luck!

Well, if you think Patterson Lakes is filled with bogans or Claude st belongs to beachside Seaford - that's OK but I beg to differ :)

Hey, IMO even local schools are mostly not "bad" - they are just remarkable average, apart from a few bad ones. Trouble is to find a good school.

Are you from Parkdale? Are there any good govmnt primary schools?

Not sure, i've only ever been to Private Schools. Yes i'm from Parkdale. Parkdale was once full of bogans too. If you must know i'm a huge Seaford Fan and I do realise Clauser street is the opposite side of freeway. I don't think there is much difference in the class of people Parkdale beachside or Parkdale opposite side of Nepean Hwy. Property values may differ slightly but class doesn't.

Bayside and Azza by the comments you make Im guessing you live in Frankston North or non beachside Seaford aka "Seaford Downs". You seem to be suburb proud and unfairly grouping beachside Seaford.

The freeway is a massive barrier for Seaford and in my opinion should have meant dividing the suburb in two. However, it's too late now for a name change as investors on the non beachside wouldn't want to lose the advantage the name gives them.
Interesting that beachside is in a different state electorate too.

Go for a bike ride or long walk around both sides of Seaford any weekend and notice the difference between the two sides. The demographic of people out and about on beachside is completely different and cant be compared as the same to those in Frankston Nth or 'Seaford Downs'

Seaford Primary School seems to have a good curriculum with a large focus on community involvement, environmental projects and sporting events. Also is there any reason children living in Seaford cant attend a school like Frankston High School. Does anyone know how high school zoning works and what it takes to attend from outside the zones?

The Pier area over summer weekends is habited by a few rough looking people but these are from other suburbs. The locals know the best part of the beach in summer is not around the pier.

Not sure, i've only ever been to Private Schools.

Well, it's easy to find a good private school!

Trick is to find a good public one. Parkdale primary results are no better to say Kanannook school in Seaford, in fact they are worse.

Nick said:
Seaford Primary School
What worries me is the results in writing and spelling
http://www.myschool.edu.au/Main.asp...VICG0071383501&DEEWRID=7015&CalendarYear=2009

Kananook seems to give a better start, at least grade 3
http://www.myschool.edu.au/Main.asp...VICG0071541801&DEEWRID=9441&CalendarYear=2009

2008 results are not that glamorous :mad:

Having said that, I've been visiting both (and few others) and didn't find a remarkable difference. Kananook looks less favorable being next to busy road, and somehow feels small and busy.

My biggest issue (as I said before) is combined grades: 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6. I am yet to accept this strange concept...

I will re-evaluale in couple of months, once 2010 results are published. Also will be interesting to check out what each school has done with the goverment money...

Bayside and Azza by the comments you make Im guessing you live in Frankston North or non beachside Seaford aka "Seaford Downs". You seem to be suburb proud and unfairly grouping beachside Seaford.

Go for a bike ride or long walk around both sides of Seaford any weekend and notice the difference between the two sides. The demographic of people out and about on beachside is completely different and cant be compared as the same to those in Frankston Nth or 'Seaford Downs'

The Pier area over summer weekends is habited by a few rough looking people but these are from other suburbs. The locals know the best part of the beach in summer is not around the pier.

You don't need to convince me. I never argued there is a big difference :)

And yes, you will rarely see me around the pier in summer. Safeway is better if you want an easy parking and don't want to cross the road without the traffic lights. Otherwise plenty of really quet spots...

The freeway is a massive barrier for Seaford and in my opinion should have meant dividing the suburb in two. However, it's too late now for a name change as investors on the non beachside wouldn't want to lose the advantage the name gives them.
Interesting that beachside is in a different state electorate too.

Seaford Primary School seems to have a good curriculum with a large focus on community involvement, environmental projects and sporting events. Also is there any reason children living in Seaford cant attend a school like Frankston High School. Does anyone know how high school zoning works and what it takes to attend from outside the zones?

You're doing the exact same thing. I own my I.P in Frankston North but live in Parkdale. Seaford Downs hahaha, good try! I could call Frankston North 'Outter Seaford' because it's just out of Seaford and into Frankston North. We can all talk it up or down when we have a vested interest.

Well, it's easy to find a good private school!

Trick is to find a good public one. Parkdale primary results are no better to say Kanannook school in Seaford, in fact they are worse.

What worries me is the results in writing and spelling
http://www.myschool.edu.au/Main.asp...VICG0071383501&DEEWRID=7015&CalendarYear=2009

Kananook seems to give a better start, at least grade 3
http://www.myschool.edu.au/Main.asp...VICG0071541801&DEEWRID=9441&CalendarYear=2009

2008 results are not that glamorous :mad:

Thanks for the link, that Myschool website is very interesting. Both schools seem close enough to average for me (particularly in a middle to low class suburb) but Kananook has the better results. I didnt even know Kananook Primary existed.

Thanks for the link, that Myschool website is very interesting. Both schools seem close enough to average for me (particularly in a middle to low class suburb) but Kananook has the better results. I didnt even know Kananook Primary existed.

Kananook? My god you're brave. Alot of Frankston North and Seaford Downs types there. Even worse, Carrum Downs Kids. They're the worst

Back