Sealing an old asbestos/fibro roof

Asbestos Roof

Hi

I have the same type of Asbestos Roof same pitch same overlaps. These are Super Six Asbestos Corrugated Roof Sheets manufactured by James Hardie Co. Houses were built in the hundreds in Perth Western Australia in the KGB suburbs (Koondoola, Balga and Girrawheen) circa 1970's. Don't let fear make you spend up to $10,000.00 needlessly.

Having had a new ceiling installed, all the thermal insulation Batts were removed and had to be replaced with new batts LATER from the TOP. I had to unscrew ALL Asbestos Roof Sheets to Install New Insulation Pink Batts.

The Asbestos Sheets were glued at the "overlaps" with Tar or Bitumen. If done in summertime on a hot day (about 35 to 38 degrees C) they come apart easy. If not the sheets will split or crack and get damaged.

It was standard sealing between the sheets overlap to use Tar or Bitumen in 1970's. Perhaps "some" Roofing Contractors used NO SEAL at overlaps??Remember, Silicone or Silastic is only Guaranteed for 10 or 20 years. After that it deteriorates. Whereas, Tar / Bitumen is much more enduring as it is a natural by-product of Crude Oil.

It appears your sheets MAY NOT have been sealed at or under the Overlaps.
DO that. You MUST use Tar or thick Bitumen. DO NOT USE SILICONE. You will never get the sheets apart again for many years.

Secure the Diamond Washers till it is flush or flat with the Asb. Roof sheets. NOTE: Under the Diamond Steel Washers are Diamond Tar Washers which may need replacing.

I would suggest a good coat of Dulux Weather-Seal Paint on the Asbestos Sheets - preferable White or Off-White to reduce heat in roof space.

As long as the asbestos fibres are helped to remain Bonded, and protected from the elements of weather (driving-rain and heat) no reason why the roof should not last another 30 or 40 years in my opinion.

Richard Boudville
Perth WA

Thx all...trying to get some pics soon.
How much to remove old/replace the roof (three bedroom cottage) with aluminium?

In it's current state (original and old) can these roofs cause health issues if left undisturbed?:confused:
Thx,
JB

I was recently quoted 75$/m2 to remove asbestos roof and replace with colourbond and 15$/m2 to treat with paint ( Perth )

I'm in the same boat, only needs to last another 5 years or so, so I'm thinking of just painting it too...

Let us know how it goes

Last edited:
Replacement cost for mine were $13k for removal of asbestos roof, supply and instalation of insulation and new roof. House is highset split level. Not sure of floor space but was pretty large as it is 3beds with seperate lounge and dining areas and large covered outdoor entertainment area as big as the lounge room

Back